Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is "El Orfanato" ("The Orphanage") available on DVD anywhere?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 12-29-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I see it was released in theaters in Spain in early October. Was wondering if they have a short window from theater to DVD like the U.S. and possibly available on DVD there soon? I have an all regional player.
Old 12-30-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's way too soon. It most likely will be announced post-oscar since this film is Spain's entry for the foregin language oscar this year.
Old 12-31-07, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I wrote in another thread here: as of today there are no plans for a Spanish DVD release. I expect that the earliest that anything might come out is around the end of February.

Pro-B
Old 01-03-08, 05:42 AM

Yeah doubt Subs will be on it, due to the international distribution as well
Old 01-07-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
I expect an R1 from Christal Films around March-April.
Old 01-09-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
Movie is finally coming to town this Friday, woohoo.
Old 01-11-08, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brandishing a sexy designer label (aka presented by Guillermo del Toro) and riding the coattails of goodwill generated by the recent works of del Toro, Cuaron, and Inarritu, I found this Spanish-language effort rather ordinary, forgettable, and thus disappointing. “El Orfanato” delivers the same old dark house scares you’ve seen before and adds nothing new to the genre, while a dig beneath the surface of the film yields not much of significance. The material is the type best suited for an episode of a horror anthology show except here it is bloated to a repetitive and feels-too-long feature-length status. The movie also suffers from Steven Spielberg syndrome in that it just doesn’t know when to end. A darned shame that this film gets all the hype when one can find much greater horror in overlooked drama/suspense efforts such as “El Septimo Dia” and “La Noche de los Girasoles”.
Old 01-11-08, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not only did it not know how to end but it kept going and going. I just wanted it to end so badly I couldn't wait. is not a long movie but it fills like a marathon. Is full of cliches and it lacks focus, it doesn't know if it wants to be the shinning, devil's backbone, the others and/or AI. at the end of it all it wasn't any of these and nothing on its own. I'm not sure why it seems to be getting so many good reviews as this movie left a bad taste in my taste mouth. I think I was even upset when I left the theater. There has been so much better coming from Spain that is more decerving then this. Only 2 things I thought were really good, the actress was excellent and the kid's mask that is seen on the comercials is creepy as hell but that is it. In my screening last night it seemed that others didn't like it as well but that was just a few compared to the rest which I;m sure liked it more.
Old 01-11-08, 07:58 PM

While I agree that the film did not know went to end, I have to say it's beautifully shot and really well-acted. Specially the kid...
Old 01-13-08, 08:47 AM

Very good movie, but it's not "scary as hell"

I've learned to not "buy the hype" on most movies before I see them.....this is especially true with horror. couple of theories as to why is most simply explained by stating that what I find "scary" is completely different than what scares you.

I also believe that "horror" itself is a very broad category, containing everything from splatterfests that can fringe into black-comedy (like "Shaun of the Dead" or "Bad Taste") then have something like the PG-13 "Ring" films and "Sixth Sense"....and eveything in between.

So, I saw "The Orphanage" yesterday, and tried my hardest to lower my expectations.

I came away with a very good movie, that stayed with me after seeing it. It's a well made movie, with no cheap scares (or what I call "boo" moments) and a smart script that, for the most part, avoids explaining every little detail to you, leaving you with a movie that you can talk about with a friend, spouse, etc. after viewing it.

And that is better than you can expect from most Hollywood films these days.

P.S. Before someone blasts me for quoting "scary as hell" in my title...it's not from anyone's post or review of "The Orphanage". It's a quote (from a review?) that was used to market "28 Days Later", which totally let me and my wife down when we saw it. I now think that it's a great, smart film, but marketed incorrectly as being like a Romero zombie film that will give you nightmares.
Old 01-13-08, 10:46 AM

Very good movie IMHO. Much better than average ghost story.Really like the ending. Definetely buying the BluRay or HDDVD.
Old 01-16-08, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Warner-Spain will release El Orfanato on March 4. Technical specs TBA.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-16-08 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-18-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm sure we won't get much advance notice, but don't you think an R3 of this will emerge sometime in Feb?
Old 01-19-08, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Trigger...if you are asking me, no, I am not aware of an Asian upcoming release. If a Thai disc did not appear by now, and they tend to port very quickly European films, I would assume that this is it, a Spanish release to wait for. (As I noted earlier there will be a R1 release by Warner-sub).

Pro-B