Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jodorowsky/Moebius' THE INCAL Animated film? Just a trailer? On any Video format?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Jodorowsky/Moebius' THE INCAL Animated film? Just a trailer? On any Video format?

Old 10-27-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just discovered that one of my favorite graphic novels - L'INCAL - created by Jodorowsky/Moebius was filmed in the 1970s (or 80s) as an animated movie or as just a trailer for a non-completed animated film? Does anyone have any information about this? I couldn't find any information about this animation at imdb or at wikipedia. Does anyone also know if it exists on DVD or VHS??

Here's the clip of THE INCAL trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpjX29i95nA

And here's a little tidbit from wikipedia about how Luc Besson's THE FIFTH ELEMENT stole ideas from THE INCAL:
Moebius and Jodorowsky sued Luc Besson, director of The Fifth Element, claiming that the film borrowed graphic and story elements from The Incal, but lost their case.[1] In a 2002 interview with the Danish comic book magazine Strip!, Jodorowsky actually claimed that he considered it an honour that somebody stole his ideas which is not surprising as Jodorowsky believes that authors do not create the stories they tell as much as they make personal interpretations of myths universal to the collective human subconsciousness.

Last edited by toddly6666; 10-27-07 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-28-07, 10:25 AM

There's no animated film, this video was just the work for a pilot that never has been done.

In this video, we can see a character looking like Arzak which has been released on DVD, but not english friendly, in France, Spain, Russia or Japan.
Moebius did all the work in Flash animation and even participated to the dubbing.

http://www.devildead.com/indexfilm.php3?FilmID=967

http://www.dvdanime.net/critiqueview..._critique=1477
Old 10-28-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tutut,
thank you so much for that info. It's really too bad they never got to film Incal - it's such a great graphic novel. I still hope someday that Jodorowsky directs an animated or live-action movie of his own book, since he never got to do DUNE or a mainstream sci-fi flick. I don't think Jodorowsky will ever film a movie again. But I would like to see him go out with a bang with one more film such as INCAL which would challenge Blade Runner as one of the best visual sci-fi flicks of our time. And it would be a big F.U. to all those producers whom did not actively pursue him to produce his wierd, epic-type films.

If I can find ARZAK for cheap on DVD (since I'm in Switzerland), I'm curious to see it eventhough I hear it's awful in all aspects.

I just ordered Rene Laloux's films - FANTASTIC PLANET, TIME MASTERS, and GANDAHAR - since they are all pretty cheap remastered UK PAL DVDs. I've never seen his stuff, but he's supposedly famous. But I hear these films of his aren't even that great. I hope I enjoy them, because I'm always seeking out obscure foreign animated full-length films.

Last edited by toddly6666; 10-28-07 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-29-07, 06:01 PM

I better know Jodo's work in comic books than in movies, but I think it's very difficult actually to find producers for SF animated films
based on european comic books.

Arzak is more an experimental than a completed work, Moebius did it with Photoshop, based on his work in the french magazine Métal Hurlant (that had after, a US version called Heavy Metal). The "bird" of Taarna in "Heavy Metal" (animation film) is inspired by Arzak.

René Laloux created films based on french SF books from Stefan Wul or Jean-Pierre Andrevon, with the participation of three great french designers, Roland Topor for Fantastic Planet, Moebius for Time Masters and Philippe Caza for Gandahar.

I'm waiting for La Quête de l'Oiseau du Temps adapted from the heroic-fantasy comic book series from Loisel and Le Tendre.

Some work in progress for this project
Old 10-29-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TUTUT,
the clips of La Quête de l'Oiseau du Temps looks pretty amazing. I'll buy it on DVD even if it doesn't come with english subtitles....

There are so many French/Belgium graphic novels/comics that still can be made into live-action/animated films. I hope the Tintin movie (and it's definite financial success) will inspire more investors for producing movie adaptations of French/Belgium graphic novels...
Old 10-30-07, 06:38 AM

I just noticed an english teaser for Valerian & Laureline (from Mézières and Christin comic book series).

English Teaser
Old 10-30-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I got into a lot of the Humanoids stuff during their short self-publishing run in the US - beautiful large format HC versions - (until they got bought by DC and disappeared).

Metabarons was really incredible and would make a nice animated series - HBO/Showtime type thing, some great images and stories there.

I did enjoy the way "Immortal"/ad Vitam turned out, but it did have a few shortcomings. I'd like to see some more of Bilal's books adapted as well - whether by him or someone else. Even stories like "The Black Order Brigade" would make a good live action flick.
Old 10-30-07, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
I got into a lot of the Humanoids stuff during their short self-publishing run in the US - beautiful large format HC versions - (until they got bought by DC and disappeared).
I didn't buy a lot, because I used to read many stories in Metal Hurlant magazine.
I remember some authors among others:
Gauckler

Denis Sire

Caza

or Margerin

Metabarons was really incredible and would make a nice animated series - HBO/Showtime type thing, some great images and stories there.

I did enjoy the way "Immortal"/ad Vitam turned out, but it did have a few shortcomings. I'd like to see some more of Bilal's books adapted as well - whether by him or someone else. Even stories like "The Black Order Brigade" would make a good live action flick.
Before Immortal, Bilal did Bunker Palace Hotel and Tykho Moon, I don't think they've been released in english.
Old 10-31-07, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are Tykho Moon and Bunker Palace Hotel available anywhere with English subtitles?

The Tykho Moon trailer reminds me a bit of a Wong Kar Wai film...
Old 10-31-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I've read about those two on IMDB but I don't think they're even available on DVD much less with subtitles.

The only Metal Hurlant I've actually read though has come from the limited US run (2001ish to 2004 or so). There was some new Jodorowsky (with digital art) and others, but not so much of the classics - unless they were reprints.

I've got their Chaland anthologies as well -- very interesting as a sort of meta-Tintin with definite potential given the real world setting, but lacking the overall flavor imo.
Old 10-31-07, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
I've read about those two on IMDB but I don't think they're even available on DVD much less with subtitles.
They're both available on DVD, but not with english subs.

Bunker Palace Hotel in a 2 DVD boxset with Immortal.

And Tykho Moon has been released on DVD in 2003.

The only Metal Hurlant I've actually read though has come from the limited US run (2001ish to 2004 or so). There was some new Jodorowsky (with digital art) and others, but not so much of the classics - unless they were reprints.

I've got their Chaland anthologies as well -- very interesting as a sort of meta-Tintin with definite potential given the real world setting, but lacking the overall flavor imo.
I remember well Alef Thau from Jodo and Arno.

I had fun with Chaland's dark humor, reading the comic strips "Le jeune Albert" about a kid in Brussels after WWII.
A tribute to Chaland on this wall in Brussels, the character reading on the left is the young Albert.