Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

“Contour” (2006) – no-budget filmmaking, top-shelf martial arts action – DVD R0 NTSC

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

“Contour” (2006) – no-budget filmmaking, top-shelf martial arts action – DVD R0 NTSC

Old 10-20-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was browsing HKFlix.com this morning and noticed an unfamiliar title perched atop their DVD bestseller list. Curiosity directed me over to IMDb to research the title – “Contour” (2006).

Apparently it is a low-budget, martial arts film made by a group of fledgling filmmakers operating out of San Francisco. While they might be amateur filmmakers, their main group known as The Stunt People – a bunch of martial arts, stuntpeople, and acrobats – seem quite capable in delivering high-caliber martial arts action. After IMDb, I headed over to youtube.com and there you can find a number of trailers and fight clips (I searched “contour stunt”). Looking at the clips, we are in the amateur filmmaking arena here (think "Lethal Force" (2001)), but the fight scenes are anything but amateur and I was very impressed.

Here are links for those who might be interested:
Contour (2006) at IMDb.com

Contour - trailer and fight montage
The trailer runs the first two minutes and the fight montage kicks in after that.

The Stunt People website - about us page

I haven't researched it yet, but there is a chance HKFlix.com might be the only e-tailer selling this R0 NTSC DVD for "Contour". "Contour" is not the first film from The Stunt People either as HKFlix is also offering an earlier effort "Undercut" (2004)....you can read about other efforts on The Stunt People website linked above. Each of the titles at HKFlix is priced at a reasonable $9.95 (not including shipping). I also seem to recall receiving an e-mail about a 10%-off promotion running through Monday, October 22nd.
Old 10-26-07, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the link. I just took a chance and ordered it.
Old 10-26-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how's that other movie they have for sale?
Old 11-03-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, that was quite impressive. And the end line of the trailer about the money made me spit soda out of my nose....so yeah, I'll take a shot on it.
Old 11-03-07, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by clemente
Wow, that was quite impressive. And the end line of the trailer about the money made me spit soda out of my nose....so yeah, I'll take a shot on it.
Yeah...the humor really worked for me. That combined with the cool stunts, and 9.95 made me pull the trigger. I haven't ordered from hkflix on a long-ass time, so i'm not sure what the turnaround time will be for delivery to Canada.
Old 11-03-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks like Troma has some competition - entertaining companies, but equally amateurish.
Old 11-29-07, 02:44 PM

My copy finally arrived the other day, after being in transit for nearly a month (that's what you get for taking the $1 shipping option).

Overall it was an enjoyable flick. The acting is pretty ham-fisted at times, but the action is pretty solid. If these guys were given a decent budget, I think they could pull off some real magic.