Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

UNE VIEILLE MAîTRESSE (Catherine Breillat) 1/8/2008

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-02-07, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Studio Canal have announced a date for the latest film by controversial director Catherine Breillat (Anatomy of Hell): January 8th. Sarring Asia Argento the feature was nominated for Palm d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 10-02-07, 11:38 AM

I should be seeing this tomorrow. Assuming I do, I'll post back with my thoughts...

Dazza.
Old 10-02-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Dazza
I should be seeing this tomorrow. Assuming I do, I'll post back with my thoughts...

Dazza.

Please do...

Pro-B
Old 10-02-07, 05:05 PM

I hope it's English friendly. I'm a big fan of Breillat's work so I'm really looking forward to this release.
Old 10-03-07, 11:22 AM

OK... just finished seeing this. Overall, it didn't do an awful lot for me. I can't honestly say that I'm a huge fan of any of Breillat's films, but I am always interested to see the work she puts out there.
This one is something of a departure for the director as it's a period piece that quite obviously has a much bigger budget than anything else she's ever done. It looks great, and while it's missing some of Breillat's typical signatures (for example, there's quite a bit of sex, but none that's hardcore or particularly explicit), it still retains an icy, detached mood that makes it really difficult (for me at least) to respond to with much enthusiasm. Cinema for the intellect, not the emotions.
So, while it's a bit of a departure for the director, those with a reasonable auteurist radar will easily peg this as a Breillat movie. Well-crafted, but cold and aloof. I had a much better time with another period/costume-type piece earlier this year in the shape of Rivette's "Don't Touch the Axe".
If you're a fan of Breillat I'd recommend it, but all others may want to approach this with caution. Obviously, Argento has many fans of her own who will pick this up, and she doesn't disappoint in the lead role. But for me the two most enjoyable performances come from Michael Lonsdale & Yolande Moreau, who form a fine double act here.
The film also contains a catalogue of cameos/bit parts from performers from Breillat's earlier work: Roxane Mesquida ("Fat Girl"), Amira Casar ("Anatomy of Hell"), Caroline Ducey ("Romance") and Anne Parillaud ("Sex is Comedy") can all be spotted here.

Dazza.
Old 10-03-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think her best films are Fat Girl and Brief Crossing. Brief Crossing is the most relatable mainstream film she's done, and Fat Girl has a better, shocking ending than The Sixth Sense.
Old 10-03-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thank you for the summation Dazza.

Pro-B
Old 10-04-07, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Thank you for the summation Dazza.

Pro-B
You're very welcome, Pro-B. I look forward to reading the thoughts of yourself (and others) upon viewing the film.

Dazza.
Old 04-11-08, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Artificial Eye are bringing this one to UK theaters on April 11. July/August release is likely.

Pro-B
Old 04-14-08, 10:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Dazza
OK... just finished seeing this. Overall, it didn't do an awful lot for me. I can't honestly say that I'm a huge fan of any of Breillat's films, but I am always interested to see the work she puts out there.
This one is something of a departure for the director as it's a period piece that quite obviously has a much bigger budget than anything else she's ever done. It looks great, and while it's missing some of Breillat's typical signatures (for example, there's quite a bit of sex, but none that's hardcore or particularly explicit), it still retains an icy, detached mood that makes it really difficult (for me at least) to respond to with much enthusiasm. Cinema for the intellect, not the emotions.
So, while it's a bit of a departure for the director, those with a reasonable auteurist radar will easily peg this as a Breillat movie. Well-crafted, but cold and aloof. I had a much better time with another period/costume-type piece earlier this year in the shape of Rivette's "Don't Touch the Axe".
If you're a fan of Breillat I'd recommend it, but all others may want to approach this with caution. Obviously, Argento has many fans of her own who will pick this up, and she doesn't disappoint in the lead role. But for me the two most enjoyable performances come from Michael Lonsdale & Yolande Moreau, who form a fine double act here.
The film also contains a catalogue of cameos/bit parts from performers from Breillat's earlier work: Roxane Mesquida ("Fat Girl"), Amira Casar ("Anatomy of Hell"), Caroline Ducey ("Romance") and Anne Parillaud ("Sex is Comedy") can all be spotted here.

Dazza.
no hardcore sex = no sale ...
Old 04-14-08, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll see anything with Asia Argento, often to my own detriment.
Old 05-24-08, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Official street date for the UK is August 25th. Courtesy of AE.

Pro-B
Old 02-18-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: UNE VIEILLE MAîTRESSE (Catherine Breillat) 1/8/2008

This movie is currently playing for free on Sundance HD if you have Time Warner cable...I started to watch it, but fell asleep. Not that great film I guess. And I almost blind bought the UK PAL DVD, thank god I didn't.