Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm going to the Netherlands soon, what DVDs should I pick up?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-19-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to the Netherlands soon, what DVDs should I pick up? I like action, comedy, good children's movies, animation, re-watchable dramas, fantasy films, or any really visual eye candy flick. Not interested in horror flicks.

I got BLACK BOOK already.

Anyone see Knetter, Kruistocht In Spijkerbroek?

Last edited by toddly6666; 08-22-07 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-19-07, 09:19 PM

I've been in Holland twice and searched for anything local/Dutch and didn't have much luck at all. The biggest problem is the lack of English subtitle support on DVD's. The majority of the films I wanted to purchase had no English, and I noticed the other imports (such as Japanese shock titles) didn't have English either. I went to many stores in Amsterdam and a few in Rotterdam and had the same experience. I did find one Dutch film which I'm sure you'll come across but the name eludes me right now. It's got a women in a red dress on the front, and it's part of their film series DVD’s which you'll see everywhere. It'll be 8 euros, and worth picking up. Be careful, the film series (it's like a local Artificial Eye) has a lot of tempting titles, but many don't have English support so check the back of each one. I also picked up Vet Hard, which is like an action/comedy. The 2 disc digipack can be had for $6 euros at the used book stores, but I'm not sure it's even worth that unless you really don't find much else.
Old 08-19-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I actually have quite a few Dutch films and they all come with English subtitles. You know however what cinema I like so not sure if I should post any titles or not. If you want me to let me know and tomorrow night I would go through my library.

Pro-B
Old 08-20-07, 07:25 AM

Pro-b... I would be interested even if Toddly6666 isn't. I'm going back for a convention in April, and if there is something worth picking up I will. I'm not sure if it's my tastes or my luck, but I really looked hard for English supported DVD's and I didn't have much luck outside of a few options. I also found that when I asked store owners for "Dutch" films, many (even the arthouse stores) had no idea if they had any etc... which seemed a bit odd to me.
Old 08-20-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SPLATTI,
I'm going to Amsterdam. Can you give me any areas/information/names/directions that you can remember for the DVD stores you went to? I wouldn't think it's a big deal, but after being in Milan, I was surprised that they didn't have too many DVD stores. So, I hope I have better luck finding DVD stores in Amsterdam...I'll think about getting VET HARD. It sort of looks funny.....And yes, it's the worst feeling when going into a European video store and only finding American Hollywood films.

PRO-BASS,
yes, please recommend all the Dutch ficks you know with English subs. You list them, and I'll seek out the trailers/reviews of them and see if I like 'em. I'm happy you recommended that italian CANTANDO film for me since I had never heard of it before - it was exactly as I expected and what I wanted to see - an artistic-adventure movie crossed between Adventures of Baron Manchausen, Dogville, and Pirates of the Caribbean. I love theater and I like movie directors that can successfully merge the two mediums together on film (I liked the idea of Dogville, but I couldn't stand the film - had a great climax though).

I also forgot that I love all of Holland's sex-comedies. I think I rented all of the ones that Nicheflix had. But I could also be thinking of the sex-comedies of Denmark. I can't tell the difference between Danish and Dutch comedies...