Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

International DVDs of Cartoon Series: which DVDs DON'T have English audio/subtitles?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

International DVDs of Cartoon Series: which DVDs DON'T have English audio/subtitles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's clear that there are hundreds of great cartoon series that have NOT been released on DVD. But of the cartoon shows that HAVE been released on DVD internationally, which ones DON'T have English audio and/or English subs, and of course certainly need to be released with English audio and/or English subs? There's nothing more frustrating than waiting for a show or movie that one originally saw in English on TV growing up, but eventually came out on DVD in a different language and does not include English audio/subs. Can anyone think of these frustrating DVD releases?

Here is one that comes to mind:

Bernard Deyries' The Mysterious Cities of Gold (better in all aspects - story, animation, characters - than the director's most popular show, M.A.S.K., which came out 4 years later)

Speaking of M.A.S.K., how come Australia gets the only English-audio DVDs of cartoon shows, as well Ulysse 31 (also from the same director, Bernard Deyries), while USA and UK have to wait longer or perhaps never get DVD releases of certain famous cartoon shows?
Old 08-18-07, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Speaking of M.A.S.K., how come Australia gets the only English-audio DVDs of cartoon shows, as well Ulysse 31 (also from the same director, Bernard Deyries), while USA and UK have to wait longer or perhaps never get DVD releases of certain famous cartoon shows?
I suppose it depends on the rights, if no editor bought them for video, there is no chance you can see those cartoons released on disc.
Old 08-19-07, 05:00 AM

R2 UK set coming for 'mysterious cities of gold', with subs.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/33371...searchsource=1
Old 08-19-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LOGBOY,
Praaaaise Jesus!! U sure about the subs? I don't even know what the original language of this show is, Japanese? It sounds pretty good in French. I assume they will have the English dub?

I just folded and bought the complete expensive M.A.S.K. DVDs from Australia. I can't wait any longer for the USA or UK release...
Old 08-19-07, 11:13 AM

that's a good Q. the show seems french, certainly animated in japan, and was shown in the UK when i was a lad - in english... so it might appear dubbed only, in english.
Old 08-19-07, 12:04 PM

LOGBOY,
Praaaaise Jesus!! U sure about the subs? I don't even know what the original language of this show is, Japanese? It sounds pretty good in French. I assume they will have the English dub?
It seems they will have english dub only.
Old 08-19-07, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by logboy
that's a good Q. the show seems french, certainly animated in japan, and was shown in the UK when i was a lad - in english... so it might appear dubbed only, in english.
It was a Japan/Luxembourg(RTL)/France production, it aired first in Japan on NHK and one year later in France on Antenne 2.
Studio Pierrot did the animation, DIC (Bernard Deyriès & Jean Chalopin) took care of the direction, the screenplay and the storyboard.
Some scenes you can see on the japanese version are missing on the french edition, as well as some scenes on the french version are
missing on the japanese one.
So japanese and french are both the original audio.
I suppose this UK release is based on the last remastered french release.
Old 08-19-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's good, because I have one of the French DVDs, and the video/audio quality is pretty damn good, and surprisingly has a lot of extras.
Old 08-19-07, 03:36 PM

Are you sure your disc is from the remastered edition, this release was a 4 discs boxset :

Many people said the sequel that came last year, have no charm compared to the original.
The site of "Esteban et Zia - A La Recherche des 7 Cités d'Or" :
http://www.estebanetzia.com/

The trailer :
http://www.lescitesdor.com/videos/naez.avi

There's a picture of the HD-DVD release (a fake?) :

A very good site I found with many videos of this series but french only :
http://www.lescitesdor.com/presentat...sentation.html
Old 08-20-07, 03:40 AM

bizarre... but i like it.
Old 08-20-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

TUTUT, yup, they sell these DVDs broken up from the boxset in smaller-video stores for 5 francs for one DVD, pretty good price for 8 episodes per DVD!

I never heard of this sequel and it's interesting that they made one, but it looks awful - totally generic and charmless. It almost looks like one of those $3 direct-to-DVD religious cartoon movies...
Old 08-21-07, 12:37 AM

TUTUT, yup, they sell these DVDs broken up from the boxset in smaller-video stores for 5 francs for one DVD, pretty good price for 8 episodes per DVD!
That means 3€ per disc, that's it, you can find the boxset around 10-12€ on some french sites.
I never heard of this sequel and it's interesting that they made one, but it looks awful - totally generic and charmless. It almost looks like one of those $3 direct-to-DVD religious cartoon movies...
Another recent french/japanese production is Oban Star Racer, the japanese were involved in 2D animation and some music (Yoko Kanno).

http://www.obanstarracers.fr/

The last french production for international market I liked was Funky Cops, inspired by Starsky & Hutch or Shaft, was not a masterpiece but it was fun to me.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgz...ps-promotional