Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Going to Seoul, Osaka and Taipei....what DVD's should I get?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-16-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,444 Likes on 2,478 Posts

I'm going on a 2 week vacation to Hong Kong (1 night) Seoul (3 days, 2 nights), Osaka (3 days, 2 nights) and Taipei (3 days 2 nights) this August.

I would like to pick up a few DVD's on this trip. I'm very much aware about what I can get in HK, but what about the rest?

Any recommendations? I don't speak Japanese, Korean or Mandarin so they would need english subs. I heard that I can pick up a 2 hour Malena Uncut DVD (Monica Bellucci) in Korea...Is that true?
Old 06-16-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJariya
I heard that I can pick up a 2 hour Malena Uncut DVD (Monica Bellucci) in Korea...Is that true?
You sure can!! ..and it's a kicker!!

In Seoul, see if you can find two Limited Edition box sets of The Classic that has been long OOP and expensive to acquire. .... and send me the second one!!!! please - please- please ......

BTW .. I'm very jealous of your trip. Hope you enjoy it!!!!

edit ...

Also, take a look for the Korean releases of Equilibrium and the Limited Edition Dances with Wolves (both theatrical/director's cuts). The latter comes in a (fake)leather case. It's a great package ... with a full bitrate DTS audio mix to boot!

It might all be helpful if you list what your interests in film and/or DVD editions are.

Last edited by visitor Q; 06-16-07 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-17-07, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Oh okay, I enjoy action movies like martial arts, cop/crime thrillers. I know Korea produces alot of cop thrillers. I also enjoy drama as well. I like some romantic dramas...I heard there is a Korean film that inspired The Lake House and I might be interested in seeing that. And yes I do like to pick up American films that have unique special editions overseas, but not too expensive though.
Old 06-17-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IL Mare is the film Lake House is derived from. Try to find the Deluxe Edition - it comes with the OST (see my collection link under Korean films for a picture). Actually, all the films that I'm about to recommend - I also own except for Moment to Remember.

All that I'm listing are Korean (except where noted) and are must see ....

Romance/Drama:

Oasis
The Classic
A Moment to Remember - Try to get the Dir/Theatrical release
Christmas in August
Failan
Josee, the Tiger and the Fish (LE) - This is a Japanese film, and it's an excellent and touching story. This Korean release comes with the OST.
Last Life in the Universe (SE) - This is a Thai film, but very well done. The lead actor is Asano (Japanese) and you may have seen him before. This Korean release comes with the OST.

Romance/Comedy:

My Sassy Girl
Please Teach Me English

Crime/cop thrillers:

A Bittersweet Life (LE)
Cruel Winter Blues (SE)
Holiday
Public Enemy (cheaper version available in states)
Another Public Enemy (cheaper version available in states)
Bloody Ties (cheaper version available in states)
Sunflower
Jarkarta
Memories of Murder
Shiri (DTS SE)

Those listed in Navy Blue should not be passed up if you come across them. I found them to be amazing films.

Here's an excellent site that will give more information than you would probably need about the Korean films http://www.koreanfilm.org/

Hope this helps .....

Oh yeah, and if you know about Avalon (Oshii Mamoru - Director of Ghost in the Shell, Innocence and the Patlabor series), pick up the Korean SE DTS release. It has a full bitrate DTS soundtrack and the best available picture quality of all the release.

That's about all that I can think of ... for now

Last edited by visitor Q; 06-17-07 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-17-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q
IL Mare is the film Lake House is derived from. Try to find the Deluxe Edition - it comes with the OST.
Is there an edition with decent subtitles yet? The Spectrum 's are supposed to be terrible. Because of that I bought the Edko awhile back. The translations are good but many lines simply are cut off in the middle.

I would love to have a decent edition of this wonderful film. I see a Japanese version is coming out soon but it appears to not have English subtitles.
Old 06-17-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not 100% of the best release. I'll get back to you on the Specturm release, however. My copy is being lent out. As soon as it's returned I'll recheck the quality of the subtitling.
Old 06-17-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Visitor Q
Thank you for that really comprehensive list. I will definitely take your suggestions into consideration.
Old 06-17-07, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I advise you do some research first. Go to e-sellers (yesasia, asian-dvd.com, dddhouse, ,amazon-japan...etc) and make a list of movies you are interested (print out the prices and possibly the cover art.) It will be very helpful and handy when you shop.

Most major movies will have different DVD release in each country (yes, four different DVD of the same moives for the four countries you are going.) So it is better to sort out which edition you want to buy first.

The downtown / shopping area of Osaka (sorry forget the name in English) there are quite a few major electric stores which will have big DVD seclection. But you may already know the retail price of Japan dvd is alot more higher than other region's, and not all of them will have English sub. It will be more fun to look in the 2nd-hand store (if you have time.)

Taipei also has a few major CD/DVD chain stores in all major shopping area. (There are also one store has lower price on DVD, which located behind the Taipei Train station.) I don't really like the Taiwan edition DVD, even though cheaper, the quality is hit-n-miss...
Old 06-17-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q
I'm not 100% of the best release. I'll get back to you on the Specturm release, however. My copy is being lent out. As soon as it's returned I'll recheck the quality of the subtitling.
I've read that the translation of the subtitles on the Spectrum release is "atrocious."

The threads:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....re#post7631783

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....hlight=il+mare

The DVD Talk review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22293
Subtitles: Just like the transfer on the original DVD, the subtitles were pretty lousy. On second thought, I'm going to retract that statement. The subtitles were downright atrocious. Most Korean DVD releases have good, if not excellent English subtitles, but the original DVD of Il Mare seemed to be a rare exception. I was heartbroken to find that the English subtitles included on this release were ported over from the original Spectrum DVD release. Talk about a let down… While I feel you can understand and still enjoy the story with the poorly translated subtitles, it's very frustrating. At times you will find yourself going back and trying to decipher what was just said. It's just really a shame because this film deserved so much better.
None are really very good:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/il-mare.htm

(Well, maybe the Japanese but it doesn't have English subtitles.)
Old 06-17-07, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
I heard that I can pick up a 2 hour Malena Uncut DVD (Monica Bellucci) in Korea...Is that true?
Here's a pic of the DVD.

If you can't find it there just order it here. It's decently priced.

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/ma...rt-p-1161.html
Old 06-17-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
I've read that the translation of the subtitles on the Spectrum release is "atrocious."

None are really very good:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/il-mare.htm
I should have checked around. To be honest, I usually don't even worry about subtitles as I've lived through varying levels of quality. And at this stage, as long as I can follow the context of the subject matter, I'm usually OK. The most frustrating are captioned subs. The Korean Dir cut of My Sassy Girl is guilty of this. I found it extremely distracting at first, but after awhile it just blended.

On topic, it seems as if the deluxe cut still might be the best release - if not only for the anamorphic transfer and soundtrack CD.

Oh, and DJariya - you're welcome! Hope some of the recommendations help out. Just be sure to do some homework in advance ...