Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Online petition for even more IVL/Celestial Shaw Bros. films on DVD

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 05-27-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though I'm comparatively new to the Shaw Bros. fandom, my appreciation for the films is certainly not lacking in zeal (at least based on my frequent purchasing of the R3 IVL/Celestial DVD releases). As a fan of the films, I naturally found my way over to lurkerdom at the kungfufandom forum and their Shaw Bros. subsection.

From what I gather based on discussions there, the generous run of Celestial Shaw Brothers releases is finally coming to an end in late 2008. However, it seems that while a vast majority of the Shaw Bros. catalog will have been released there are a number of films that will not be released (due to a variety of reasons...maybe they're not part of Celestial's catalog of films, poor source elements making them less ideal for remastering/restoration, etc.).

Anway, the point is that the fine folks over at kungfufandom are planning on sending a petition to Celestial thereby requesting at least a handful (and hopefully more) further releases on DVD. Hopefully they can maybe send it to IVL, or maybe e-tailers such as dddhouse, yesasia, buyoyo, cd-wow, sensasian, etc. can become involved along with IVL, and all concerned parties along with Celestial would consider working something out.

Will a few hundred names on a petition make any difference....I don't care to answer that. Is it better than doing nothing...certainly yes. Is there any harm in giving it a good effort....certainly no.

If nothing else, maybe some other distributor lurking about the web will be intrigued enough by the idea that they will try and secure the rights to all unreleased Shaw Bros. films.

I'll shut up now because frankly I'm one of the last people who should be speaking on the entire subject of rightsholders, distribution, Celestial's business plan, etc.

For those who want to help out our fellow Shaw Brothers fans, the petition can be found here:
Celestial - Shaw Bros. DVD petition at ipetitions.com

If you want some more informed discussion on the topic, just head over to the kungfufandom message board (though it is currently being plagued by some annoying MS Passport bug).
Old 05-27-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost forgot.....here's an action-packed clip for one of the films listed in the petition:

To Kill A Mastermind fight scene - at youtube
Old 05-27-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm down. those guys really love these films and are very knowledgeable and although I just got into the shaw brothers stuff a year or two ago I am a fan now and would like to see even more of these released.
Old 05-27-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not convinced that these online petitions do much good - but in this case I feel very strongly about wanting as many of these titles released as possible, so I'm in.