Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

city of lost children - new r2 release

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-07, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would anyone know if the new optimum release is better than the r1 video/audio wise?
Old 05-27-07, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://thedvdforums.com/forums/showt...light=children

i contacted optimum again asking about the transfer and they said they both (optimum and universal) used the same source.meaning it could be the same as the universal disc.
Old 05-27-07, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmm, the review link in that thread has a screenshot comparison page which shows the new edition being too washed out. And forced english subs too it appears.
Old 05-27-07, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nitin77
hmm, the review link in that thread has a screenshot comparison page which shows the new edition being too washed out. And forced english subs too it appears.

that's not a review of the new optimum release.it's a review of the universal disc...which was out i think last year.there are 3 releases.
Old 05-27-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ahh I see. makes it even more confusing
Old 01-10-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So what's the final verdict on the anamorphic, DD 5.1, english subtitled versions?

I have the Region 1 stereo version, is it worth updating to DD 5.1?
Old 01-13-08, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
So what's the final verdict on the anamorphic, DD 5.1, english subtitled versions?

I have the Region 1 stereo version, is it worth updating to DD 5.1?
Toddly:

Back in November of last year Studio Canal quickly announced an HDDVD release of the film with Pan-Euro sub options (English included) and shortly after pulled it off.
http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/f150017_la_...us_hd_dvd.html

Hence, at this point I would recommend that you simply wait a bit and see how the market shapes up given Warner's recent announcement. I expect that if not Canal then Optimum will unload this film on the market.

Pro-B
Old 01-13-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pro-Bass,
thanks for the info, but I don't plan to buy Blu Ray (which seems to be taking over) unless DVDs become obsolete. This movie collecting hobby has gone too far for me. I already feel a bit silly for buying tons of VHS tapes, and now they are in the basement collecting dust. I'm afraid that if I buy into Blu Ray, I will end up pointlessly rebuying everything, and then it will be my DVDs in the basement collecting dust. And Standard DVD video/audio quality is perfectly fine for me. I don't like watching movies so clean and perfect - I love anamorphic video just fine with grain, colors off, and scratches.

I'll upgrade when 3D/hologramic video entertainment gets affordable. (we are almost there. Philips made a 3D tv, and someone made a hologram globe).

I thought the video quality of the City of Lost Children Region 1 DVD is great, I'm just curious if the DD 5.1 is worth upgrading or such a big difference. As I do remember, the Region 1 DVD had a not bad Dolby Surround audio...
Old 01-13-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Pro-Bass,
thanks for the info, but I don't plan to buy Blu Ray (which seems to be taking over) unless DVDs become obsolete. This movie collecting hobby has gone too far for me. I already feel a bit silly for buying tons of VHS tapes, and now they are in the basement collecting dust. I'm afraid that if I buy into Blu Ray, I will end up pointlessly rebuying everything, and then it will be my DVDs in the basement collecting dust. And Standard DVD video/audio quality is perfectly fine for me. I don't like watching movies so clean and perfect - I love anamorphic video just fine with grain, colors off, and scratches.
I understand that. In fact, the type of films I like are going to, most likely, slowly enter the BR field, so I will be continuing to expand my DVD library as well. I also don't foresee myself replacing the majority of my discs as they are not likely to appear any time soon either...yet the rest will be solely on BR.

In any event, if your only concern is the audio on the Optimum disc I would not rush to upgrade given your current satisfaction with the R1 release.

Pro-B
Old 01-13-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is th evideo better too though?