DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Gedo Senki - Tales of Earthsea July 4th (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/497736-gedo-senki-tales-earthsea-july-4th.html)

The Valeyard 04-12-07 01:52 AM

Gedo Senki - Tales of Earthsea July 4th

From Anime News:

Gedo Senki DVD Information Announced

Goro Miyazaki's directorial debut on DVD July 4th

Gedo Senki - Tales from Earthsea will go on sale in Japan this summer, with both regular and limited editions of the film scheduled to be released July 4th.

The regular edition will contain a disc of the film with English and Japanese dialog and subtitles and one disc of extras containing Gedo Senki Sound Illustration Volume One, entitled "How Teru's Song was Born". The limited edition includes English, Japanese, French, Korean, and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), the first and second volume of the Gedo Senki Sound Illustration ("How the Soundtrack Was Born"), interviews with the cast, a dubbing session and more.

The regular edition costs 4,935 yen (appx. $41.50 USD), while the collector's edition has a price of 7,875 yen ($66.25 USD).

From CDJapan:

Tales of Earthsea from Studio Ghibli

Director Goro Miyazaki and the studio behind hit animated feature "Sprited Away" bring you the feature film adaptation of Ursula K. Le Guin's celebrated "Earthsea" novels in the film "Tales of Earthsea (Gedo Senki)," coming soon to Region 2 DVD with English subtitles!

The world of Earthsea is falling to ruin as something wretched causes its inhabitants to weaken and go berserk. When the king of Enlad is murdered and his sacred sword stolen, all signs point to the young prince Arren who is journeying to find the root of the world's illness. Enlad encounters the Archmage Ged--now known as Haikata--and the two journey into a world of darkness found both on distant shores and in their own hearts..

"Tales of Earthsea" is available in two varieties, both featuring Japanese subtitles. Regular edition includes main feature and bonus disc with special features. Special edition includes the regular edition set plus additional special features and the film in English, French, Korean, Mandarin, and Cantonese language 2.0 channel sound and subtitles. Be sure to check out the original soundtrack by Tamiya Terashima as well!

4-Disc Special Edition
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/11/17/VWDZ-8106.jpg

2-Disc Regular Edition
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/11/15/VWDZ-8104.jpg

manicsounds 04-13-07 02:09 AM

The most disappointing film in Ghibli history.....

and just like the 4 disc Howl dvd,
English subtitles w/dts-es on the 2-disc set ONLY,
while the 4-disc set gets 2.0 with English subtitles. Crummy, odd decision.

Also, the extras are not as extensive as what you would think, considering the list price.....

but I might actually think about getting it,
the only thing it had going for it is the song, one of the most beautiful that i've ever heard.

toddly6666 04-13-07 06:26 AM

Dissapointing in a total sucky non-Miyazaki way? or just still worth seeing but not the best Ghibli film? Is this film as bad as many of the other overyhyped Japanese movies in recent time?

manicsounds 04-13-07 07:15 PM

Disappointing as in the overall quality of the film. The characters were not fleshed out, many plotholes and unexplained loose ends, animation was in very low standards compared to previous Ghibli films.

The theme song is the only thing going for it, really. Funny how they have 2 making-of documentaries wholly based on making THE SONG......

logboy 04-14-07 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Dissapointing in a total sucky non-Miyazaki way? or just still worth seeing but not the best Ghibli film? Is this film as bad as many of the other overyhyped Japanese movies in recent time?

no, it's great. i haven't seen it and i give it 11/10...

i am joking, of course. i still want to see it. i want to make up my own mind.

Giles 04-16-07 09:45 AM

writer Ursula K. Le Guin hasn't been impressed either... sucks that Nicheflix isn't around anymore, since one, I'd rent this given the lacklustre reviews and secondly the supposed US theatrical release date won't happen til 2008.

Giles 08-28-07 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Disappointing as in the overall quality of the film. The characters were not fleshed out, many plotholes and unexplained loose ends, animation was in very low standards compared to previous Ghibli films.

The theme song is the only thing going for it, really. Funny how they have 2 making-of documentaries wholly based on making THE SONG......

watched this yesterday afternoon, and I agree with alot of the same problems you noted - characterization, plotholes (like the slavery and druggies). Animation was very shoddy, it was either very static or so primitive that it took on a subpar anime series look. The pacing was also terrible - at least twenty minutes could have easily been shorn - I was practically falling asleep at varying points, nothing seemed to be happening. I'm sure Disney will be releasing this, but if I were an Disney executive and I knew we had to release this to the US masses I'd be like "oh crap! do we really have to release this?!" Very disappointing.

toddly6666 08-28-07 12:53 PM

I'm curious to see how terrible it is, but I think I would rather boycott it out of respect for the master. I don't care if the father ignored the son his whole life in order to make his masterpiece films. I have no interest in seeing the movie of some "rebelious son", in which the film seems to be just like every other poor, incomplete, boring contemporary Japanese animation or live-action film.

tinlunlau 09-11-07 11:57 AM

I bought the two-disc Region 3 Hong Kong edition and since last July when I bought it, I've only seen about 45 minutes of the movie. I couldn't finish it because this is the most boring animated movie I've ever seen. Walk and talk is all they do. I'm sorry but it nearly put me to sleep. I should have downloaded this instead.

Otherwise, it's a great looking disc. The Japanese Dolby 6.1 EX track was astounding and had more umph than the Cantonese Dolby 5.1 track did.

I still regret buying this DVD.

Giles 09-11-07 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by tinlunlau
I bought the two-disc Region 3 Hong Kong edition and since last July when I bought it, I've only seen about 45 minutes of the movie. I couldn't finish it because this is the most boring animated movie I've ever seen. Walk and talk is all they do. I'm sorry but it nearly put me to sleep. I should have downloaded this instead.

Otherwise, it's a great looking disc. The Japanese Dolby 6.1 EX track was astounding and had more umph than the Cantonese Dolby 5.1 track did.

I still regret buying this DVD.

you and me both.

tinlunlau 09-12-07 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
you and me both.

Amen.
I'm only glad that I didn't buy this deluxe Japanese version.