Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Making my first NON R1 purchase - Anyone get Alatriste?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a region free player (Oppo 970HD) and this will be my first purchase. However since Ive never even considered getting other than R1 I dont know where to go! Anyone have some reccomendations?

Alatriste is the one movie I want ASAP. I know its in Spansih and I speak that but would like english subtitles (Im not that fluent). Does the DVD come with that?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Ravenous; 04-11-07 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the "Empty Wallets Club"! Pro-B recently handled the "Alatriste" DVD review here at DVDTalk....just search the reviews archive and it'll turn up easy....and "yes" it has English subs....though like Svet mentioned they were in too large a font for my liking. Speaking for myself, I found the film quite mediocre...for what that is worth.

I see you have an interest in swordplay films. Have you ever seen the French swashbuckler "Le Bossu" aka "On Guard" (1997)? It is a very entertaining film with a nice sampling of outstanding swordplay.....imho, some of the best swordfighting I've ever witnessed in film. It is inexpensively available in Region 1.

Back to "Alatriste"...if you want just that one DVD then your best bet is likely xploitedcinema.com as they are located in the U.S. If you have an interest in other Spanish releases then maybe you might consider a larger order from DVDGO which is a preferred vendor amongst a lot of us here in the International forum. DVDGO also tends to run a nice sale in the Summer so, depending on your patience/finances, you might wish to wait until then.

Last edited by flixtime; 04-11-07 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-12-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by flixtime
I see you have an interest in swordplay films. Have you ever seen the French swashbuckler "Le Bossu" aka "On Guard" (1997)?
The original with Jean Marais is the one to own.

Pro-B
Old 04-13-07, 01:42 AM

I just received Alatriste today from a member of this site. Thanks Pro-B!
Old 04-13-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Alatriste is an entertaining movie, but just worth seeing once, not buying....Viggo Mortenson is always worth watching, especiall with his fluent spanish...it's a fair flick. The best sword-fighting scene in the flick is not even with Alatriste but with his student...
Old 04-14-07, 03:23 PM

I read that review by ProB. Sent her an email too and she couldnt even reply.

Thanks for the reccomendation flix, I will defentaley check out that movie. I do love sword play in alot of movies. I will read a review and pick it up than. Besides you say its inexpenisve And really thanks for the links. I'll wait for a sale though because I also want Cronos. Besides Alatriste seems to go for alot of cash on ebay. I thought other region movies were usually cheap for us in the US!

So VCuram, you got the DVD for free? Bassoonist is just giving them away? Hell I'll take one! Talk about no love for a 'DVD Talk Special Edition'
Old 04-15-07, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I read that review by ProB. Sent her an email too and she couldnt even reply.

So VCuram, you got the DVD for free? Bassoonist is just giving them away? Hell I'll take one! Talk about no love for a 'DVD Talk Special Edition'

First of all, I never received your email. Had I seen your email I would have replied to it. I always do!!

Second, I don't give anything away! I ordered a copy of the film from Spain (which I must disagree with Flix above is anything but mediocre) and much later after mine was already shipped I received a second disc for review. So, I sold my disc, for less than what I paid, to Matt. You could double check with him to see whether or not I tell the truth as the only thing I did with the DVD is open the case and put some protection so it does not come off loose (even the s-wrap was still on).

To make a long story short, I rarely sell, as I am very selective to begin with.

And I always try to answer emails.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-15-07 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-15-07, 10:18 AM

I just ordered Alatriste from xploited - looking forward to seeing it.
Old 04-15-07, 02:07 PM

Sorry, I should have said that I purchased the DVD from pro-b through a thread in the Exchange Forum.

I watched the film last night and it was entertaining. Not one of my favorites, but it was good. I'd give it a 6/10.

The DTS track is awesome and Viggo's Spanish is pretty darn good!
Old 04-15-07, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist

First of all, I never received your email. Had I seen your email I would have replied to it. I always do!!

Second, I don't give anything away! I ordered a copy of the film from Spain (which I must disagree with Flix above is anything but mediocre) and much later after mine was already shipped I received a second disc for review. So, I sold my disc, for less than what I paid, to Matt. You could double check with him to see whether or not I tell the truth as the only thing I did with the DVD is open the case and put some protection so it does not come off loose (even the s-wrap was still on).

To make a long story short, I rarely sell, as I am very selective to begin with.

And I always try to answer emails.

Pro-B
I read everything so fast and typed so quick, I didnt realize you were the same person I was refering too! Well its all good. Most of my reply was tounge in cheek. I just had to make sure you werent just giving stuff away cause if you were I wanted to through my name in the mix.

The email was no biggie, just asking some stuff realting to the DVD and if a R1 was planned. I thought maybe it wasnt answered cause you just didnt know or it was a too generic question. If I ever have to email you again, Ill await a response with great eagerness

I cant believe theres not that much love for the movie or its found mediocre at best. Either way I still want it. Though not for $30.
Old 04-16-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I read everything so fast and typed so quick, I didnt realize you were the same person I was refering too! Well its all good.

Understood sir! Absolutely no problem!!

Pro-B