International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Zwartboek (Paul Verhoven)

Old 03-28-07, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Zwartboek (Paul Verhoven)

Dutch double disc out on April 3. UK Tartan disc out on April 30th. Dutch disc announced in the proper 2.35:1 UK disc for now announced in an aspect ratio of 1.78:1. Likely a typo!

Collector's set

*Please note that the announced commentary by Mr.Verhoven on the Dutch disc will not be subtitled in English. Street date for the Dutch CE is April 24th.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 03-28-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'll get his
Old 03-28-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

has anyone seen this ? what is it like ?
Old 03-28-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool, I keep hearing it's a taut well made movie with the expected Paul V. sleeze, can't wait to see it.
Old 03-28-07, 11:00 AM

been seeing the trailers over at Landmark can't wait.
Old 03-29-07, 02:35 AM

I seen it a couple of months ago. I don't like any of the artwork above and I'd say the Dutch artwork says more about the film. I do like this artwork The terrible Photoshopped USA artwork is here

There's definitely no sign of sleaze or Verhoeven's RoboCop flair.
Old 03-29-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No sleaze = no sale.
Old 03-29-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

To compliment the Oscar entry Tartan are also releasing a new, improved, version of Soldier of Orange. Street date April 30.

Pro-B
Old 03-29-07, 08:02 PM
rsk

Originally Posted by Josh Z
No sleaze = no sale.
Don't be put off by a no-sleaze description, someone obviously has lower standards than the norm. Its a good, exciting movie with enough Verhoevian nudity, violence and depravity to keep most people interested.
Old 03-30-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rsk
Don't be put off by a no-sleaze description, someone obviously has lower standards than the norm. Its a good, exciting movie with enough Verhoevian nudity, violence and depravity to keep most people interested.
OK then, I'm back on board.
Old 03-30-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
To compliment the Oscar entry Tartan are also releasing a new, improved, version of Soldier of Orange. Street date April 30.

Pro-B
Wow, I got rid of my copy last week because I heard a new copy was coming out soon. Didn't think it'd be this fast!
Old 04-26-07, 02:04 PM

Just watched this (Zwartboek) today - have to say I really enjoyed it. It's long, but always entertaining, and you really need to keep paying attention to who's who/who's done what - especially in the latter stages of the film.

Recommended.

Dazza.
Old 05-02-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After all the hype, I just watched the UK DVD of BLACK BOOK. It's a good movie, but no masterpiece - it would have been a better movie if it was actually emotional, but it's not - the movie feels like an excellent R-rated cartoon. People get riddled with bullets all throughout the movie, but it feels like "who cares?" That's not what I want to feel when I watch a WW2 movie or Holocaust movie. As a nazi/jewish movie, it's a shame that its overacting and 2-dimensional characters overshadow the possible emotion that could have been developed in this movie. If one watches this movie as if it's a 1950s black and white film, its style of acting could be better appreciated. But still, it's a highly entertaining film with many interesting actors - I suppose the best acting in this film belongs to the good nazi, the bad nazi, and the leader jew that is an expert at guns. The leading lady is certainly interesting to watch, but i'm not quite sure if she is a good actress, especially during her emotional scenes. But I guess it's an old timey style of acting, and they hint at Greta Garbo throughout the movie, so I guess it's okay. The funny thing is that she's sort of quick, ballsy, speedy way about her in the same way that Elisabeth Berkley had in Showgirls. Black Book is certainly ten times better than Enigma, that spy movie with Kate Winslet and Safron Bellows that came out in 2001 (a different WW2 spy movie, but with some similarities).

Verhoven is certainly an interesting director and knows how to make an entertaining movie, but I'm not sure about this film being his best film. Sure, it's easy to give the most credit to a respectable Nazi/Jewish film, but I think his best films are still action B-movies - Total Recall and Robocop.

Black Book has an excellent story, but the acting style and lack of emotion makes a possible masterpiece into just a fairly good entertaining flick.
Old 05-02-07, 09:06 PM

I'm going to see this in the theater on Friday. I can't wait!
Old 05-05-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

CD-WOW has the R2 UK DVD release for $14.95 (after discount link).
Old 05-06-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime
CD-WOW has the R2 UK DVD release for $14.95 (after discount link).
I would love to see a direct link to that...my page using U of I link shows $22.95 for R2 version. At $15, I'd buy it.
Old 05-06-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't seem to get a direct link to show the discounted price. As an alternative, try copying the address below and pasting in a new window. Don't forget to click on "click here to go shopping" and then just search "Black Book" and it should show $14.95. Real strange pricing at CD-WOW as they've got another listing a couple of slots below which seems to be the same item (although they are listing that as R0), but the other listing is almost double the price at $27.96.

www2.cd-wow.us/promotion.php?promo_refcode=14917_1&affid=14917
Old 05-21-07, 06:33 PM

Watched the UK edition last night and was well entertained. Interesting story - not the normal big battle scene war drama - but more genuine espionage, double dealing, and heightened emotions. I loved the story, the period, and the pace. Good flik.
Old 06-15-07, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
But still, it's a highly entertaining film with many interesting actors - I suppose the best acting in this film belongs to the good nazi, the bad nazi, and the leader jew that is an expert at guns.
Leader jew? Did you mean Dr. Hans Akkermans? Wasn't he a Dutchman?
Just watched it last night. I agree some of your points.
Old 06-16-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wildeny, yeah i meant the Dutchman, not jew, Hans Akkermans, whom looked like a cross between Russell Crowe and Kevin Spacey.

The more I watch it, the better the movie it gets, especially knowing all the double-crossings the second time around- I've already seen it 3 times. It's such a good story.
Old 06-16-07, 08:33 PM

Hans Akkermans, whom looked like a cross between Russell Crowe and Kevin Spacey.
Good description
Old 11-19-07, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PRO-BASS, is the UK TARTAN DVD of SOLDIER OF ORANGE the best version? What's the audio on it? If it's just stereo, how does it sound, flat or some nice effect?
Old 11-21-07, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

PRO-BASS, is the UK TARTAN DVD of SOLDIER OF ORANGE the best version? What's the audio on it? If it's just stereo, how does it sound, flat or some nice effect?
Hello Todly:

The newer version is quite nice (aside from some dirt and fluctuating edge-enhancement I have no reservations). As to the actual audio track and its quality it is the original DD mono mix Tartan have offered - there are no major issues here to report either.

If you have any additional questions, ask.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 12-18-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pro-Bass,
Just received and watched my UK DVD of SOLDIER OF ORANGE. It's another excellent movie, but I prefer BLACK BOOK. Black Book is basically a tighter and sexier version of Soldier of Orange. As much as I love Rutger Hauer, I'll take Carice Van Houten over him... I certainly take back my earlier remarks of Black Book - after watching it three times, it's now one of my favorite films and I think it's Verhoven's masterpiece (tying with RoboCop!).

I really feel bad that I didn't really know of Paul Verhoven being such a good director till I was older, and that I judged him as a "typical Hollywood director." He's obviously so much more, and many of his movies have not dated, even his Hollywood blockbusters (RoboCop, Total Recall).

Pro-Bass, what other Verhoeven Dutch films should I get on DVD? And please guide me to the right DVD version of any of them (english subtitled/anamorphic). I'm guessing that Turkish Delight is the next one to get. Which DVD version of TURKISH DELIGHT is of better video/audio quality - the USA NTSC Region 1 or the Tartan UK PAL one?

Last edited by toddly6666; 12-18-07 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-18-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw this a while back, and while I'm sure theres other threads thought I'd just pop in here since it's current. Simply, a very good movie that is continually involving. I hope to see Carice Van Houten in many movies to come, she has the looks and talent.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.