Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Zwartboek (Paul Verhoven)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Zwartboek (Paul Verhoven)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-07, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
Pro-Bass, what other Verhoeven Dutch films should I get on DVD? And please guide me to the right DVD version of any of them (english subtitled/anamorphic). I'm guessing that Turkish Delight is the next one to get. Which DVD version of TURKISH DELIGHT is of better video/audio quality - the USA NTSC Region 1 or the Tartan UK PAL one?
I am sorry for the late reply. This has been a terrible month for me, so much work, only check the forum before I go to bed, don't have a single minute to spare.

Unfortunately, there isn't another film that I could recommend which comes close to Black Book. The epic element that you might be looking for simply could not be found in the rest of Verhoven's works. Perhaps some of the period charm but nothing really that comes close to Soldier of Orange and Black Book.

Turkish Delight is a very good film, I would not say great, but very, very different. And just about any DVD you might pick up has its flaws. If you could find an old copy of Anchor Bay's disc, which is OOP now, take it. It is acceptable. If you want to go the cheaper route then Tartan's disc is the one to get: passable but with plenty of issues as far as the transfer goes (weak one).

Anchor Bay's The Fourth Man on the other side is fabulous. The film is also one of Verhoven's stronger works so perhaps you should look into it. Again, it isn't close thematically to the two films you mentioned earlier.

This being said, put away Verhoven for a minute and...take a look at The Tunnel: a spectacular film, exceptional script, solid performances (the colonel from Black Book and dissident from The Lives of Others - Sebastian Koch - delivers, in my opinion, his best acting job yet. I have a feeling you would absolutely love it:

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...earchID=342167

Hope this helps,

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 12-19-07 at 12:28 AM.