International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Silent Hill British edition

Old 03-22-07, 08:01 AM

Silent Hill British edition (and JAPANESE one)

Does someone know anything about this edition? I have it, but couldn't find anything about it - it's a British LE (as they say) in a red metal box. It has the second disc with The Omen preview. And it's not for sale anywhere in the web where I looked it for. What is this editon and why is it not available in the net?

Last edited by Giggles; 03-24-07 at 03:04 AM.
Old 03-22-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You will probably have more luck asking about this in the international forum since the disc is from the UK.
Old 03-22-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it was exclusive to virgin mega store.
Old 03-22-07, 02:50 PM

All that was extra about this edition was a preview for The Omen?
Old 03-22-07, 05:45 PM

No, actually it has all the set of extras available in all the other editions. Here only the tin box is what matters. And since I'm a sucker for nice packages I had to grab it :-)) So did I get it right - it was for sale only in Virgin mega store? How come? I never heard of such editions.
By the way I have another Silent Hill edition - new Japanese 4-disc Ultimate box. If anyone is interested I can tell more detailed about it.
Old 03-22-07, 09:54 PM

Go right ahead.

Be interesting to find out what they packed 4 disc worth of stuff of.
Old 03-23-07, 05:50 AM
TRC

I'd like to hear more, but pics would be even better.
Old 03-23-07, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Giggles
So did I get it right - it was for sale only in Virgin mega store? How come? I never heard of such editions.
In the UK Virgin often sell editions billed as "Virgin exclusives" - generally this has nothing to do with the dvd content, but usually it is packaged differently (sometimes just a slipcase over the dvd case) or a few art cards are thrown in. HMV also do the same thing from time to time.

Dazza.
Old 03-23-07, 06:20 PM

First thanks to Dazza for the info, now I'll know...
And now for the Japanese Silent Hill. There are 3-disc edition (premium) and 4-disc (ultimate box LE) one. Both from Shochiku Home Video.The only difference to my knowledge is the cover and the fourth disc which is blu-ray. I have a 4-disc release. Not that I need Silent Hill on blu-ray, but I can't stand a nice package and all kinds of limited editions :-))
So it's in stylish box of a silver color, inside there's a digi-pack with four discs, and the booklet, it's about 80 pages, and you apparently can find anything on Silent Hill games there and on the film as well. One minor flaw though - it's in Japanese, so if you're not familiar with it, looking at the pictures is all that's left, and there's plenty of them.
1st disc contains the movie itself in anamorphic format, A.R. - 2.40:1. TV System - NTSC, Region 2. Audio - English and Japanese DD 5.1, no DTS (albeit they could include it for the money they're asking), subtitles - English, Japanese.
2nd disc has an hour-long documentary on making of the film which you can watch by chapters dedicated to costumes, creatures, set design etc. (guess the same one is on the American and other editions as well). Besides there's a 15 minutes long 'behind the scenes' featurette, 5 trailers and 5 TV spots.
3rd disc is what really differs this edition from others - it's more about the game. First there's an interactive town map, then - the games description - story, characters, besides opening and ending movie are present (of the 1 and 2 parts of Silent Hill). There's a Game VS Movie comparison, namely scenes comparison, characters comp. and creatures comp. There's more - an interview with Akira Yamaoka (still had no time to watch it, but I guess he's a guy from Konami, one of the game's developers). And finally - related products detailed descriptions.
That must be it... According to dvdcompare.net 3-disc's first printing had some technical problems, but here I haven't noticed any. So I guess among all other releases of Silent Hill this one is the fanciest, it looks very nice indeed. But you might not need it if you consider Silent Hill to be an ordinary film, not better than all others.
I'll definately try to provide pictures, only I have to buy batteries for my camera as the old ones are dead, and it's night time already :-)) So see you tomorrow!
Old 03-29-07, 04:42 PM

I was about to insert some photos, but apparently I don't know how it should be done. It suggests to enter the text to be formatted... What is it?
And don't be too harsh on me - I'm not an expert in PCs :-)
Old 03-31-07, 05:29 AM

Anyone?
Old 03-31-07, 04:23 PM

Giggles:

When you're prompted to enter the text, simply enter the URL/web address of the location where the picture is stored. Then, when you come to submit the message, your picture will be displayed.

So, before doing that you'll either have to (i) have your pictures stored somewhere in your own personal web space, or (ii) use a hosting facility such as Photobucket.

Hope this helps.

Dazza.
Old 03-31-07, 04:45 PM

Thanks again, Dazza! You're always there for me
So here's a couple of pictures, if you'd like more details let me know, I'll post some more.