International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Question about Japanese DVD of Boondock Saints

Old 03-09-07, 02:04 PM

Question about Japanese DVD of Boondock Saints

This is for anyone who has this edition...

Is this the same cut of the film that is on the "unrated" release here in the States?

How does the Troy Duffy commentary on that disc compare to the one on the US editions?

And how are the rest of the extras on the Japanese release?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-07, 06:53 PM

I have it. I think I read on dvdcompare that there were a few seconds of different footage in the R2J. The commentary is different, Troy flew out to Tokyo to do it. Haven't listened to the R1 comm. so can't tell you how different it is.
Old 03-24-07, 07:22 PM

Hey thanks for replying.

Can you tell me the exact running time on the Japanese DVD?

And what, aside from the commentary, are the extra features on the disc?
Old 03-24-07, 08:36 PM

110 min which I think is the same as the R1. Like I said, it's only a few seconds worth of difference. I think one or two diff. takes in the hotel scene too.

Extras:
Audio Commentary with director and producer exclusive to this disc. (recorded in Tokyo)
Japanese press interview with Norman Reedus. (English) 16m
Q&A with Norman Reedus (English/Jap) 8m
Trailers/TV Spot
also my notes say 'screen test' but I think it's the orig short he shot to get funding. Not 100% on that, been a while since I watched the disc. I also have the R1 SE and the Scandanavian DTS disc.
Old 03-24-07, 10:31 PM

Thanks.

When you say it's a few seconds of difference, are you talking about the Japanese DVD compared to the first r1 release or the new unrated r1 release?
Old 03-25-07, 08:56 AM

The Japanese compared to the new R1.
Old 03-25-07, 09:00 AM

...Oh, and in case you haven't seen it, you MUST rent or buy the film 'Overnight' ; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390336/

It's a docu that Troy Duffy's friends (at that time) filmed during the pre-production and production of Boondock Saints. All I'll say is WOW! That is one crazy cat.

Last edited by mrwilson; 03-25-07 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-25-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrwilson
...Oh, and in case you haven't seen it, you MUST rent or buy the film 'Overnight' ; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390336/

It's a docu that Troy Duffy's friends (at that time) filmed during the pre-production and production of Boondock Saints. All I'll say is WOW! That is one crazy cat.
Yeah, but he made a hell of a movie, especially since it was his first time out of the gate. Hope he get's to do another one!
Old 03-25-07, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the info mrwilson! You been great!

Let me ask you, how does the Duffy commentary on the Japanese disc compare to the on the r1? And can you confirm if the "screen test" or whatever that is on there and exactly what that is?

Yeah, I got Overnight myself too! It's a film that anyone who is planning on making a career in the movie business should watch on what not to do. Not "what not to do" on actually making a movie, but how not to conduct yourself in the actual ins and outs of the business of it because that world requires far more that just talent alone to make it. And Duffy delivered his screw-up in spades! How sad...