DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Creepshow Special Edition (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/494390-creepshow-special-edition.html)

alfonsosoriano 03-05-07 12:55 PM

Creepshow Special Edition

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=3827

This article talks about it, but mentions it as a British release. Man, region one getting the shaft here!

We spoke to DVD/supplements producer Michael Felsher (pictured) here about his work on the upcoming MONSTER SQUAD DVD, and he also gave Fango the scoop on another ’80s horror fave he’s contributing to: a new, extras-packed disc of the George A. Romero/Stephen King anthology chiller CREEPSHOW for British release by Universal. “I’ve known George for years,” Felsher explains. “I used to work at Anchor Bay, and collaborated with him on projects there like DAWN OF THE DEAD, and I’m also supervising all the behind-the-scenes stuff on his new DIARY OF THE DEAD. He has always said he would love to see CREEPSHOW come back out. I found out that Universal has the UK rights, and was preparing to come out with a disc that was kind of bare-bones. So I sent them a proposal, and they called that release off and hired me to do the special edition for the UK. The plan is to have it out before Halloween of this year.”

Among the supplements Felsher is putting together is, of course, a commentary by Romero and FX creator Tom Savini. “It was very enjoyable,” Felsher says of that recording experience. “It was George and Tom going back down memory lane in George’s living room, so they had a great time. I’m also making a documentary, and have been shooting people all over the place for that; the plan is to include as many people who were involved in the film as possible.”

One interviewee yielded an unexpected bonus for the project, as Felsher relates: “A couple of days ago, my cameraman and I interviewed Rick Catizone, who did the animated segments with the comic-book clippings, the Creep and all that. We got there to interview him, and he was a wonderful guy, and he brought some stuff he had in storage. He whipped out original hand-painted cels from CREEPSHOW, and I was just flipping out! And then he pulled out the original hand-colored comic book pages from the shots where you see the comic flip open. That was the kind of moment where your brain just short-circuits and you pass out. So we’ve got photos of all that stuff, plus footage of a scene where Ted Danson’s severed hand comes after Leslie Nielsen that was cut out of the film…it’s going to be good!”

Like the MONSTER SQUAD disc, the new edition of CREEPSHOW is a personal project for the longtime fright fan. “CREEPSHOW was the first horror movie I ever saw, and George is my all-time favorite filmmaker,” he says. “I’m constantly thinking, ‘Just how is it that I’m working on this and MONSTER SQUAD and all these movies I’ve loved throughout the years?’ I was lucky that I worked on DIARY OF THE DEAD, because I met the cameraman I’ve been working with on these projects, and he’s been doing a wonderful job. It’s just too damn good to be true.”

Anything else? “Yeah, I’m also working on a documentary about FACES OF DEATH for Dark Sky Films!” More on that one in the near future… —Michael Gingold

Giles 03-05-07 01:04 PM

that's so raven!

:banana:

calhoun07 03-05-07 07:12 PM

Any edition of Creepshow that manages to fix the horrible framing issues of the first release will be "special" in my book.

alfonsosoriano 03-05-07 11:52 PM

Well, it's going to be extras-packed as well.

islandclaws 03-08-07 05:09 PM

Sweetness. And you know this isn't coming for R1 anytime soon since it's not WB UK putting it out. I can't wait to pick this up. Sounds like it's going to be full of goodness.

Case01 03-08-07 07:22 PM

Excellent news! and a Faces of Death doc! I can't wait for either.

hydr0p0nic 10-24-07 06:48 AM

Will this be released in the USA ever? The horror unfriendly UK gets it but we don't? How gay is that!

slop101 10-24-07 11:02 AM

Well it now it looks like the UK isn't getting it any time soon either. Though I'm not sure how homosexual that is...

Joel Goodsen 11-02-07 05:12 PM

Ive got a copy on the way, will let you know how it turns out.

wago70 11-13-07 06:11 PM

I ordered from CDWow and it took only 8 days to reach San Francisco, CA. The quality of this DVD will blow you away! The picture is immaculate~! The colors really pop off the screen especially the green weeds around Jordy Verrill's place. The blues and reds are amazing. I have an Oppo player that makes the PAL conversion to NTSC flawless - there are no issues at all whatsoever.
I cannot recommend this DVD enough. The artwork, the extras (Making Of is an hour and half long!!!!) - a great package. The only minus: it arrived with the discs loose in the case and they were scratched pretty badly. Played without any flaws in spite of this.
Get it!

Lastdaysofrain 11-14-07 07:34 AM

Yeah I too cannot recommend this DVD enough, really great.

SilverDreams 11-14-07 08:49 PM

I concur, this DVD set is amazing. Everyone should own it.

Surfinhank 11-14-07 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by wago70
I ordered from CDWow and it took only 8 days to reach San Francisco, CA. The quality of this DVD will blow you away! The picture is immaculate~! The colors really pop off the screen especially the green weeds around Jordy Verrill's place. The blues and reds are amazing. I have an Oppo player that makes the PAL conversion to NTSC flawless - there are no issues at all whatsoever.
I cannot recommend this DVD enough. The artwork, the extras (Making Of is an hour and half long!!!!) - a great package. The only minus: it arrived with the discs loose in the case and they were scratched pretty badly. Played without any flaws in spite of this.
Get it!

I haven't heard of your player, does it actually compensate for PAL speedup? Do you have a link to where I can buy one?

wago70 11-14-07 10:08 PM

http://www.oppodigital.com/

It's a great player. But I got the cheapest one. There are more advanced models, I see.
Shipping to San Francisco took one day. Literally..I ordered Thursday and on Friday afternoon, I got it.

SilverDreams 11-15-07 01:28 AM

Did anyone else notice the audio on the commentary seems to suffer the speed up, but I didn't detect it in the feature itself.

Nth Power 11-15-07 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by SilverDreams
Did anyone else notice the audio on the commentary seems to suffer the speed up, but I didn't detect it in the feature itself.

It was pretty noticeable in the commentary. In the film, only Ted Danson's voice stood out as being a litte "chipmunky" to me and I probably only noticed it because I had watched him on TV recently.

Lastdaysofrain 11-15-07 07:57 AM

PAL Speedup definetely does not bother me in general, I almost never ever notice it.

the commentary was a bit pitched, but the feature and the doc seemed fine

SilverDreams 11-15-07 04:03 PM

Glad I wasn't the only one to notice this. I thought I was going crazy.

wago70 11-16-07 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by SilverDreams

Honestly, I didn't catch this! I watched the film as normal and then with commentary. I'll check again tonight. Very odd!

steelpotato 03-06-08 04:28 AM

only 4.98 pounds at amazon :)

manicsounds 02-28-09 04:35 AM

Re: Creepshow Special Edition

http://www.avmaniacs.com/review.php?id=687
A very belated review from AVmaniacs.

I just watched this for the first time (!) last week, and absolutely loved it. My girlfriend screamed and laughed through the whole way. The tagline is true. "The Most Fun You'll Ever Have Being Scared"