International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

R2 vs R4 vs R1 Doctor Who (2005) Season One/Two

Old 03-04-07, 08:49 PM

R2 vs R4 vs R1 Doctor Who (2005) Season One/Two

Looking for a comparison of the R1/R2/R4 Doctor Who 2005 Season sets. DVD Compare only has Season One Uk listed and it wins by default.

Anyone know of anywhere that has comparisons?
Found Season 2 locally (R4) than it would cost to get the USA version (otherwise same price) and I was leaning towards the USA version because of something I read, but now can't recall what it was.
Old 03-05-07, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by nz-kiwiman
Looking for a comparison of the R1/R2/R4 Doctor Who 2005 Season sets. DVD Compare only has Season One Uk listed and it wins by default.

Anyone know of anywhere that has comparisons?
Found Season 2 locally (R4) than it would cost to get the USA version (otherwise same price) and I was leaning towards the USA version because of something I read, but now can't recall what it was.
Was it because of the packaging?? The 1st edition of the R2 UK Doctor Who S1 features a Tardis-shape box, and during shipping etc discs would fall off... But now the problem no longer exists because it has been replaced by a neat digipak boxset, which I guess would make it identical to the US set. Image-wise I should imagine UK R2 is still the way to go, being PAL and all.

Should you need anything about the UK R2, both S1 + S2, I'd be happy to help out cos I own both. I even have HK R3 S1, but that's in 4:3...
Old 03-07-07, 11:47 AM

Did any of the editions not have all the clips from previous serials taken out of the episode-by-episode makings-of on the last disc? I'd gathered they were excised for $ reasons, but weren't originally shown that way...?
Old 03-07-07, 11:50 AM

In terms of content, I believe they are all identical (including the cut down "Confidential" episodes). The disadvantage of the R1 version is that it's NTSC rather than PAL.

Last edited by Groucho; 03-07-07 at 11:52 AM.