Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Non-Region 1 DVDs with supplements superior to their Region 1 counterparts?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-14-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry if there is an existing thread covering this. I did a few searches without finding what I was looking for.

Not too long ago I purchased the Region 2 versions of John Carpenter's They Live and Prince of Darkness because they contain commentary tracks and bonus material not available on the Region 1 versions (which, I believe are barebones). Is there any resource or existing thread that lists more discs which have superior extras in other regions? I saw the sticky re: dts and 16:9, but how about commentary tracks and supplements?

I'm aware of dvdcompare.net (and it is excellent for comparisons) but it would be nice if there was a list or some reccomendations rather than keying in each title in my collection. Thanks!
Old 02-14-07, 07:54 PM

Hey Jack

If you check this link , to the right hand side there is a "Comparison by region" section where you can see a list of titles that are considered better on certain regions.
It wont necessarily by better supplements, it could be better pic or audio quality - but its a good place to start =)
Old 02-15-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Kev, that helps!

Next question...
Any suggestion on a good online retailer to purchase non-Region 1 dvds? A DDD equivalent?

Thanks.

Last edited by JackBurton; 02-15-07 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-15-07, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check out the various CDWow threads here. They don't have the best selection ever, but you can get DVDs for a great price there and they ship for free.
Old 02-17-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Brent!
Old 02-17-07, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No problem. Hit me up on AIM if you want specific examples, etc...
Old 11-06-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Non-Region 1 DVDs with supplements superior to their Region 1 counterparts?

Originally Posted by KevD View Post
Hey Jack

If you check this link , to the right hand side there is a "Comparison by region" section where you can see a list of titles that are considered better on certain regions.
It wont necessarily by better supplements, it could be better pic or audio quality - but its a good place to start =)
Sorry to bump this thread after so long, but I just ordered another region free player for the bedroom and I'm interested in picking up more multi-region dvds.

When using the comparison by region link, I click region 2 to see the superior region 2 discs. However, it only shows me the first 200 results. Is there a way to expand this so that I can see all of them without having to narrow my search? I am probably missing something obvious here, and if so I apologize.

Thanks.