Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Milos Forman LOS FANTASMAS DE GOYA (Spain)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warner Spain have set March 27th as the street date for Milos Forman's latest picture Los Fantasmos de Goya a.k.a The Ghost of Goya (2006) starring Javier Bardem, Stellan Skarsgard, and Nathalie Portman. The film is yet to find a North American distrib.

Official site and trailer:
http://wwws.warnerbros.es/goyasghost/

Variety blurb:
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...id=31&cs=1&p=0

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 03-06-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

UK street date:

April 23.

Pro-B
Old 04-06-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

An entertaining and intelligent movie critisizing govt./church/history, especially symbolic of what's going on with Bush and Iraq, but a bit 2-dimensional with character devolopment. The story could have been more epic and emotional, but unfortunately not so...it's almost as if this movie was filmed like a quick-paced serious musical only without the music. Foreman should have made this a musical as he did with HAIR. It's nice to see Skarsgaard getting a lead role, since he is always a good actor. It's nice to see Portman getting good roles, eventhough she was trying to pull a Charlize Theron (from Monster) with this one. And Javier Bardem was excellent in this film - playing a villain that's not black and white, but totally grey. And it's always good to see decent bio pics of famous artists. A totally entertaining rental!

The Spanish DVD is non-anamorphic letterboxed and has audio in the original English or Dubbed Spanish, with optional non-forced subtitles of both. The extras are the usual interviews, trailers, etc....nothing special. It would have been interesting if they had more extras about the time period/history the movie was covering.
Old 04-06-07, 08:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Holy crap, I want to see this. I remember reading about this a while back and was hyped that Foreman was doing Goya. I liked Carlos Saura's Goya in Bordeux, and have been wanting to see another interpretation on Goya's life. But that sucks that the Spanish release is non-anamorphic? That seems incredibly odd considering it's so new. I may have to grab the UK release come April 23rd.