International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

amazon.co.uk am I being overcharged?

Old 01-16-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

amazon.co.uk am I being overcharged?

My order came out to about $75 euros.

I did a quick conversion at http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi and it says that amounts to $96.85. Well, I placed the order, then saw my card was charged for about $130. I'm pretty pissed off, I'm not sure if the calculator is incorrect (though other converters give similar numbers), or I'm being overcharged. I have a feeling the answer will be obvious once it's explained.
Old 01-16-07, 12:24 PM

When did Amazon.co.uk start charging in Euros? Are you sure that it was not the pound?
Old 01-16-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazon.uk used to show me the approximate US dollar price alongside when I would order. Seems like they did not have this on my last order but the final price was in pounds. Are you sure it was euros?
Old 01-16-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my friends those are pounds and you should multiple by 1.95. so it seems right. not such a bargain now.
Old 01-16-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by CloverClover
My order came out to about $75 euros.

I did a quick conversion at http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi and it says that amounts to $96.85. Well, I placed the order, then saw my card was charged for about $130. I'm pretty pissed off, I'm not sure if the calculator is incorrect (though other converters give similar numbers), or I'm being overcharged. I have a feeling the answer will be obvious once it's explained.

This is clearly a mistake on your part as Amazon.UK still charges in pounds. I just had an order processed and the conversion was made from pounds to $.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-16-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

consider yourself lucky that you got a good exchange. you must have purchased when it was more favorable. I was going to buy a dvd that came out to $16 about a week and a half ago and now is an even 20$.
Old 01-16-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow, that slipped my mind, now it is obvious, thanks
Old 01-16-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

6-12 months ago the exchange rate was much more favorable. I haven't from Amazon UK in a while because of that, oh, and their shipping rates are really high.
Old 01-17-07, 02:32 AM

Were's Helen Mirren when you need her?
Old 01-17-07, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by zombeaner
...oh, and their shipping rates are really high.
Not exactly....

Aside from Cd-wow who seem to have some European product I can hardly think of another vendor that has as competitive shipping as Amazon.UK does. The closest one that comes to mind is Mediadis.

So, I am now quite so sure what you are talking about....

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-17-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah the shipping rates aren't high at all. Once they remove the VAT usually the cost ends up the same as the original price when you add in the shipping
Old 01-17-07, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Not exactly....

Aside from Cd-wow who seem to have some European product I can hardly think of another vendor that has as competitive shipping as Amazon.UK does. The closest one that comes to mind is Mediadis.

So, I am now quite so sure what you are talking about....

Ciao,
Pro-B
Every other vendor I use for UK discs is cheaper. Sendit.com, BlahDVD is free, BensonsWorld.co.uk is 1 pound per disc, Selectcheaper is similar, there are many.
Old 01-17-07, 12:53 PM

Every other vendor I use for UK discs is cheaper. Sendit.com, BlahDVD is free, BensonsWorld.co.uk is 1 pound per disc, Selectcheaper is similar, there are many.
not sure theres any one true answer - prices can vary online in the UK, quite dramatically. as for conversion rates on currency, you cant trust past experience as much as you can trust current information - try xe.com
Old 01-17-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Yeah the shipping rates aren't high at all. Once they remove the VAT usually the cost ends up the same as the original price when you add in the shipping
Maybe I'm looking at it incorrectly, but has Amazon UK recently changed the way VAT is handled? It had been a while since I've ordered from them, but if memory serves, wasn't VAT essentially shown as part of the display prices and later removed once you entered a US shipping address? For example:

Such and such DVD: 10.00
- VAT charge: 2.00
+ Shipping: 3.00
Grand total: 11.00

I used to be able to make a general assumption that my final price would be very close to or slightly higher than the display price since the VAT and shipping essentially cancelled each other out. Now today, when I placed an order for the Quay Brothers short films, the way the totals are handled look different to me:

Item(s) Subtotal: 13.89
Postage & Packing: 3.08
-----
Total Before VAT: 16.97
VAT: 0.00
-----
Grand Total: 16.97

VAT was never added to begin with, so the price appears artificially(?) higher to me without anything being subtracted. Or, as I mentioned before, am I simply looking at this wrong?
Old 01-17-07, 01:54 PM

It depends on how big your orders are. If you are are ordering one thing, then the removal of VAT doesn't do much, unless is is a box set. I don't generally place orders over $30 though, so I guess I'm looking at it purely from my own perspective.
Old 01-17-07, 02:33 PM

I think bensonsworld does not ship to USA??

I also buy form amazon-UK becuase could find other will ship to USA. How about BlahDVD??
Old 01-17-07, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by tsetse27
I think bensonsworld does not ship to USA??
Nonsense. I'm in the U.S., and I've used Bensons about a dozen times. They charge one pound per disc to ship.

I also buy form amazon-UK becuase could find other will ship to USA. How about BlahDVD??
Blah also ships to the U.S., but they take their own sweet time about it. (I think they wait until they get several orders for the same title and then order them in bulk to ship out en masse.)

I find that, in general, Amazon is slightly more expensive than most other e-tailers when you take everything into consideration. Of course, it pays to order in bulk from Amazon, since it's most expensive for the first item. But the differences aren't often that significant. (Except now that the dollar is doing so poorly.)
Old 01-17-07, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ambassador
Blah also ships to the U.S., but they take their own sweet time about it. (I think they wait until they get several orders for the same title and then order them in bulk to ship out en masse.)
I've ordered twice now from BlahDVD and not only do they not charge shipping and have great deals on some items, but also their product arrives within 7 days. In fact, I received "Brother" from them today, exactly a week and a day after placing the order. So far, so good. The one I've been least satisfied with was selectcheaper.com because their shipping took over two weeks.
Old 01-18-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I just went through those and you are correct...they do appear slightly cheaper than Amazon.UK. However...I see that some of their prices on some of the titles i looked are slightly higher and they miss some key titles as well (Celine and Julie Go Boating). So, whlie at first they might appear cheaper they are in fact not (depending on the disc).

Either way: you were right and I was not!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-18-07, 01:12 AM

I just went through those and you are correct...they do appear slightly cheaper than Amazon.UK. However...I see that some of their prices on some of the titles i looked are slightly higher and they miss some key titles as well (Celine and Julie Go Boating). So, whlie at first they might appear cheaper they are in fact not (depending on the disc).

Either way: you were right and I was not!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Amazon does certainly seem to have a better selection, though, on that I will agree.
Old 01-18-07, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Maybe I'm looking at it incorrectly, but has Amazon UK recently changed the way VAT is handled? It had been a while since I've ordered from them, but if memory serves, wasn't VAT essentially shown as part of the display prices and later removed once you entered a US shipping address?
I was thinking the same recently.

Having LOGGED IN - AND Amazon knowing that my stuff would be going to Australia - the first CHECKOUT page WOULD NORMALLY show the items VAT Free. It doesnt anymore !!!

However - this is what Amazon UK put on their page :

*VAT amount only relates to all charges associated with items sold by Amazon.co.uk (including gift wrap, post and packing). If your order contains both Amazon Jersey and Amazon.co.uk items the VAT amount for post and packing may be overestimated. The correct VAT will be charged when the items are shipped and detailed on your ship confirmation email.

IMO - this is NOT GOOD ENOUGH !! I would like to know how much I am paying now... not after with some confirmation email.

As for expense postage/shipping.........

My test order had 5 items - 9.54pds for shipping.... $A 23.95 for shipping. This is FAR TOO DEAR in my opinion..... the UK pound is getting too expensive for any purchases there (thankfully CDWow has free shipping !!)

Last edited by tonyjg; 01-18-07 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-18-07, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Amazon does certainly seem to have a better selection, though, on that I will agree.

Two things:

Went ahead and placed an order with BlahDVD. They DO NOT remove VAT (since their head office is in Europe I am not happy about it, unless I am missing something). What you see on the page is what you pay! This certainly kills the deal for me as the titles I put in my cart are coming at about the same price with Amazon's. One of them is substantially cheaper (Innocence). Will cancel order in a few seconds.

Second, Amazon.UK still removes VAT. My Bunuel collection is on its way and they did substract the VAT. So between not getting the VAT off at BlahDVD and having it taken off at Amazon.UK the choice for me is obvious. I would stay with Amzon.UK for future orders: safe, reliable, variery of titles, and...FASTER than anyone else!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-18-07, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by tonyjg
I was thinking the same recently.

Having LOGGED IN - AND Amazon knowing that my stuff would be going to Australia - the first CHECKOUT page WOULD NORMALLY show the items VAT Free. It doesnt anymore !!!
It Does for me. I am based in Chicago!

Originally Posted by tonyjg
However - this is what Amazon UK put on their page :

*VAT amount only relates to all charges associated with items sold by Amazon.co.uk (including gift wrap, post and packing). If your order contains both Amazon Jersey and Amazon.co.uk items the VAT amount for post and packing may be overestimated. The correct VAT will be charged when the items are shipped and detailed on your ship confirmation email.

IMO - this is NOT GOOD ENOUGH !! I would like to know how much I am paying now... not after with some confirmation email.
SHOULD BE GOOD enough! It is clearly stated above that if you order from two different vendors (Jersey being the different one) you will be charged differently. Unless there is something wrong with your account I think that Amazon.UK clearly give all the details needed for you to figure out what your bill is going to look like. If there is a second party inolved (Jersey or another seller) then I do not think that they should be blamed.

Note: There are plenty of Dutch, French, and even US sellers on Amazon.UK...I don't think that Amazon should be held responsible about the manner in which these other sellers choose to charge you.

Finally, I would play around with your account a bit as the actual VAT substraction does not appear on Step 2....it comes later on my account...it comes on Step 5-dispatch!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-18-07, 03:37 AM

SHOULD BE GOOD enough! It is clearly stated above that if you order from two different vendors (Jersey being the different one) you will be charged differently. Unless there is something wrong with your account I think that Amazon.UK clearly give all the details needed for you to figure out what your bill is going to look like. If there is a second party inolved (Jersey or another seller) then I do not think that they should be blamed.
I agree with you and Jersey is, like some others (Lichtenstein, Andorra or Monaco), a tax haven. That's where the european retailer Play.com is based for example.
Old 01-19-07, 10:23 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

yeah, I was about to order something from them (im in USA) and noticed no VAT removal as in the past whether for one or a dozen items.
They should be ashamed of themselves

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.