Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

When did Amazon.com (Marketplace) decide to accept/sell non Region One discs?!?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 01-10-07, 10:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I noticed that Amazon is now selling other region releases, when I checked out that they had a listing for the 1980's film 'Alligator' (PAL region 2). When did Amazon decide this? I hope I can finally get some discs out of my collection and sell them through Amazon.
Old 01-10-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon also sells bootlegs
Old 01-10-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Be careful when dealing with amazon. Know who you are buying from. Real easy to think you are buying from amazon, when in fact you are buying from a third party. Also, be advised, if the price of something you buy from amazon goes up anytime in the future, Amazon might recharge you the additional cost.
Old 01-10-07, 11:08 AM

I think they have been selling non-region 1 thru Amazon Marketplace for a couple of years now. Usualy the seller is up front about the fact that the DVD's need a region free player. I haven't bought from them, but there are a couple of DVD's that I haven't found through Xploited so, I might give it a go.
Old 01-10-07, 11:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jjcool
Be careful when dealing with amazon. Know who you are buying from. Real easy to think you are buying from amazon, when in fact you are buying from a third party. Also, be advised, if the price of something you buy from amazon goes up anytime in the future, Amazon might recharge you the additional cost.
true...

I am gonna add some of my discs, in hopes of them selling them, so I'll give it a stab and I have a good standing anyway (5 star 100% positive feedback)...
Old 01-12-07, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool
I've been buying from Amazon for many years and have never heard of this happening (unless you're talking of the recent fiasco with the B1G1 free promotion (see Store Forums)).
Old 01-12-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
Amazon also sells bootlegs
Amazon does not sell bootlegs. Any bootlegs listed on their site are being sold by a third-party. Amazon specifically forbids marketplace sellers from selling bootlegs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=537780

Amazon has allowed Pro-merchant members to create product pages themselves for a while now. I think it was designed to help facilitate selling OOP or Import materials that Amazon might not have a listing for already, although a handful of merchants have used it to create listings for bootlegs as well. You need to have a pro-merchant account to do it though, so mostly only dedicated sellers are going to have access to the feature.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...odeId=10683361
Old 01-12-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Jef Films comes to mind!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-12-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even if it's a third party selling bootlegs, it's still through amazon - therefore, Amazon sells bootlegs, since they are accomplices to the transaction. It seems like Amazon doesn't do any research or investigating to what people sell on there. It's almost like Amazon is too big to run or control, it's running itself. They even have incorrect technical specs on legit DVDs they sell. They don't even consider fixing their mistakes when I have contacting them about it. They also seem to give thieves second chances of selling products. Amazon and Ebay are both just so huge and will take over the world!

I love Amazon though!
Old 01-13-07, 07:38 AM

A bizarre twist....I was searching for the UK release of Feuillade's "Fantomas" on Amazon UK. It was listed as an import from the US from Caiman (well, I know they don't always stock what they list), so I went to the US Amazon (and Caiman) site and....nothing!

As to bootlegs on Amazon Marketplace: I once got a cd from Caiman that was a (non-authorized) CDR copy with a cheap photocopied insert! They took the exchange of it, but didn't seem overly concerned about what I was hopping mad about!
Old 01-13-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Even if it's a third party selling bootlegs, it's still through amazon - therefore, Amazon sells bootlegs, since they are accomplices to the transaction.
I just think there should be a distinction made between buying directly from Amazon and buying from someone else via Amazon's marketplace. If you buy directly from Amazon, you'll never have to worry about bootlegs, so using the blanket statement "Amazon sells bootlegs" is a bit misleading.
Old 01-13-07, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by unclehulot
A bizarre twist....I was searching for the UK release of Feuillade's "Fantomas" on Amazon UK. It was listed as an import from the US from Caiman (well, I know they don't always stock what they list), so I went to the US Amazon (and Caiman) site and....nothing!
Do you mean this Fantomas DVD?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000CQK0FW/

As to bootlegs on Amazon Marketplace: I once got a cd from Caiman that was a (non-authorized) CDR copy with a cheap photocopied insert! They took the exchange of it, but didn't seem overly concerned about what I was hopping mad about!
Who handled the exchange, Caiman.com or Amazon?

Looking at Caiman.com's feedback on Amazon UK it looks like any bootlegs would be a rarity from that seller.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/sell...A1FJSLLD4SYFLX
Old 01-13-07, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by unclehulot
Caiman's a funny company. Several years ago, they were one of the most reliable of all Amazon Marketplace sellers. But the last two orders I placed with them took well over the estimated delivery time. My very last order (a single CD) took something like 45 days! I have to say that I never received a bootleg from them (that I know of), but I've pretty much stopped using them. Maybe they changed management or something....
Old 01-13-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I've never had issues with Caiman myself. It's interesting as a US based company because I've ordered several R2 discs from them through Amazon UK (didn't really look at the US site because they were UK discs) -- no issues at all.

Also, weirdly enough you can often get discounts (perhaps due to exchange rates or something else) looking for marketplace sellers for R1 discs in Amazon UK. I picked up Sandbaggers Vol 3 R1 (R2 wasn't released yet) sealed for about 1/2 the standard US price.
Old 01-14-07, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.

Who handled the exchange, Caiman.com or Amazon?

Looking at Caiman.com's feedback on Amazon UK it looks like any bootlegs would be a rarity from that seller.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/sell...A1FJSLLD4SYFLX

I got two bootleg Xbox games from Caiman a year or so ago.