DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Pan's Labyrinth (Optimum) 3/12/06 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/488232-pans-labyrinth-optimum-3-12-06-a.html)

BuddhaWake 02-01-07 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by highclassrob
I like the look of that 3 disc LE set. The Cover to it is drawn by Mike Mignola ( the Hellboy comic), it was also a limited edition poster given away at the San Diego Comic Con this past year.

isn't it 2 discs?

splattii2 02-01-07 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
I never saw this in the cinema and don't get me wrong, I prefer to see it in its native language, but I was curious as to whether this was released in the US subtitled or with an English dub. This film looks like it's right up my alley and I like the look of the R3 LE enough to blind buy it. Since I have small children, my movie going is limited to kiddie fare. The pictures from DVDFromKorea look awesome and if it's really limited to 5000 copies I definately want to go ahead and get it. Are we sure it's 3 discs? I only see 2 pictured and most sites only list 2 discs. The absence of a soundtrack CD would not keep me from pulling the trigger on this though.

IMO (of course, which will change depending who you talk to) this DVD is worth the blind buy, especially at this price and with the packaging. I'm not sure if it was subtitled in mainstream theatre or dubbed, but I'll assume it was subtitled like the print I saw.

As for the set, it's 2 discs. The 3 disc set (so far) is the HMV exclusive which contains the 2 other films (see earlier in the thread).

I ordered two copies last night for myself and a friend. I wouldn't be suprised if this sold out. I know word of this release is just starting to hit some more mainstream forums outside of "international" or "arthouse" forums like this one.

mrhan 02-01-07 08:12 AM

This film looks like it's right up my alley and I like the look of the R3 LE enough to blind buy it. Since I have small children, my movie going is limited to kiddie fare.

It is definitely not for small children even thought the trailer suggests it is. There are a few violent scenes that are way too graphic for little children. It is a fairy tale for adults.

Josh Z 02-01-07 09:33 AM

but I was curious as to whether this was released in the US subtitled or with an English dub. This film looks like it's right up my alley and I like the look of the R3 LE enough to blind buy it. Since I have small children, my movie going is limited to kiddie fare.

The theatrical release is in Spanish with English subtitles. As mentioned by others, the movie is not appropriate for children. It's very bleak, depressing, and disturbingly violent (including violence against children). It's an excellent film, but it's rated R for good reason.

mrhan 02-01-07 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The theatrical release is in Spanish with English subtitles. As mentioned by others, the movie is not appropriate for children. It's very bleak, depressing, and disturbingly violent (including violence against children). It's an excellent film, but it's rated R for good reason.

Spoiler:
I took my 14 year old to see this not knowing how violent it was. She was shocked as was I to see how graphic the violence was. It was pretty normal until the Captain started stabbing the guy in the face repeatedly. Whoa! From then on I knew this wasn't going to be your average fairly tale. We both thought it was an excellent film, though.

Subgeniusguy 02-01-07 04:44 PM

LOL, I never meant I was going to show it to the kids. I only meant that I only get to go to the cinema for kiddie movies. My oldest is 5 and I don't think she'd be the least bit interested in seeing this unless there are Care Bears or freakin' My Little Ponies in it. You guys gave me a good laugh. She's wandered in on the occassional Japanese film and looks at me cross eyed because she can't comprehend what they are saying. Glad to hear it was released in Spanish though. I'm down for the Korean LE. I just hope the subs are good.

wennma01 02-02-07 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Vendetta-AKK
Yeah, I know what you are saying. But call me superficial, I buy some of these International editions just because as a collector I love the way these look.

same here. this was my fav movie of '06 so i pre-ordered the r3 LE for my packaging fix and will buy the 2-disc r1 for my special features.

ps-has anyone else here been called a 'packaging whore?'

bluesilo 02-03-07 03:54 PM

I'm guessing I'd have to buy a region free dvd player for the 3 disc LE huh?

Brent L 02-03-07 04:38 PM

Maybe not bluesilo. Go to the following site, look up your DVD player, and see if there is a remote hack for you to change your DVD player to R0 so that it will play anything:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

Even if the player you have right now doesn't have a code, and it seems like most DVD players do, you can buy a solid R1 DVD player for $50 or less that will have a code for you to use.

Cylon 02-03-07 11:54 PM

Anyone have problems signing up at yesasia? Every time I attempt to I get this:

"Error - Page Error

We are sorry, but there has been an error in loading the page you requested.

Please make sure that the URL is correct. If you are not sure of the file's URL, or if you need help about your order, please feel free to contact our customer service department."

Blech!

visitor Q 02-04-07 01:54 PM

I just hope the subs are good.

Generally, I only find a small amount of subtitling errors whether it be timing, sync, grammar or spelling. Korean releases are usually very good along these lines so you shouldn't have to worry if that is the release you choose.

Also, as mentioned previously, the P/Q and audio qualities of Spectrum releases for higher profile films are generally stellar!! I can't wait for its release.

A-aron 02-05-07 05:21 AM

got my YesAsia order in, and the SA5OFF code worked for me! Can't wait to finally see this.

logboy 02-05-07 10:23 AM

R1 is in May : http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=3644

BigDogg 02-05-07 02:26 PM

I hope it comes out on hd-dvd somewhere in the world, b/c ill be importing this for sure

Brent L 02-05-07 04:59 PM

If any of you hear anything about subs, post right away please. :)

wildeny 02-05-07 06:46 PM

Also the extra. I'm still hoping that the extra may be in English or have English sub.

crazyboy_al8 02-05-07 07:14 PM

Well, I'm not gonna say how, but I ended up seeing the copy that's on YesAsia and DVDFromKorea, and the subtitles are great.

Brent L 02-05-07 07:24 PM

If you aren't BSing, let me ask you this. Are there English subtitles on the extras?

crazyboy_al8 02-05-07 07:41 PM

Not BSing, however I just saw the film. I didn't receive the disc with the special features but I'm sure that it was this copy as there were korean subtitles as well as english on the disc.

RichC2 02-09-07 08:35 PM

Arrrrggghh matey.

visitor Q 02-10-07 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
If you aren't BSing, let me ask you this. Are there English subtitles on the extras?

Generally, Korean releases do not sub extras. I would halt a purchase (if this is important) until you can get a release verified.

I love the look of the Korean release, but the New Line release looks kickin for a change on a R1'er. And I'm certain New Line's extras will all be subbed.

visitor Q 02-10-07 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by bluesilo
I'm guessing I'd have to buy a region free dvd player for the 3 disc LE huh?

Some R3 releases are also R1 in disguise. Perhaps you could send off another inquiry once people start receiving this one to confirm. You might not be out of luck ... or a few more bucks for a region free capable player. Not that it wouldn't be worth your time for a region free player, period ....

candyrocket786 02-10-07 02:40 AM

Damn! I couldn't resist :brickwl2:

I'm sure I'll buy the HD-DVD as well.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...inzer/PAN3.jpg

splattii2 02-11-07 07:11 AM

So I also managed to see the first disc of the R3.

Is it just me, or is the transfer not that great? It could have been the player it was on (malata), but the blacks had noticable noise and looked crushed. I only watched part of the first disc and skipped around. It was very obvious in the black area, and brownish areas seemed to have noise also. Hopefully it was the setup, because I really didn't find it that pleasant to look at. It wasn't awful, but it sure as hell wasn't impressive. The menu's looked good, and the sub's were done well btw. Has anyone else got their copy or seen this yet? Please tell me I'm wrong here. I'm still waiting on my R3 from YesAsia, but what I saw is worrying me a bit.

KFelon 02-13-07 09:48 AM

For those of you who saw the 1st disc of the r3 version. Be aware if you aquired this through certain channels & it's a DVD5, that what you got was probably a compressed & partially stripped down disc. Those groups that release those discs usually shrink down & rip most extras to make a dual layer DVD9 disc fit a DVD5 disc. Just because you saw artifacts, blocks, noise, or off colors does not necessarily reflect how the movie will actually be on a 100% non-manipulated original.

PS: No one has got their r3 box yet since the DVD does not come out until the end of the month.