DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   A Self-Made Hero / Un Heros tres discret (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/487174-self-made-hero-un-heros-tres-discret.html)

Reservoir 12-20-06 12:26 AM

A Self-Made Hero / Un Heros tres discret

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9...scretuntu8.jpg

Fans of this (including me) will be pleased to hear this Mathieu Kassovitz/Jacques Audiard film is getting a subtitled release in the UK. There are already several versions in France but none with English subtitles.

From Optimum Home Entertainment. Incidentally, I've had a tiny peak at Optimum's 2007 line-up and they are releasing loads of interesting stuff. I'm glad Canal+ bought them and dumped Warner because Optimum have access to much of StudioCanal and Canal+ unlike Warner.

Reservoir 12-20-06 12:29 AM

Oops, forgot to say, that's due the start of February 2007.

pro-bassoonist 12-20-06 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Reservoir
Incidentally, I've had a tiny peak at Optimum's 2007 line-up and they are releasing loads of interesting stuff.

400+ titles (no this is not a joke)...according to inside sources. We'll see....

Will likely get one! Though I am very excited about their classic line-up!

Ciao,
Pro-B

Reservoir 12-20-06 05:02 AM

I think a lot of the stuff is re-released Warner, Universal (part of Canal+) and the claw back of Artificial Eye releases and more importantly stuff from the old Lumiére, EMI Films, British Lion and Thorn EMI/Cannon Screen Entertainment catalogue.

What I'm trying to say is Optimum will be releasing everything they can get their hands on :D

Best thing is we get these nice quietly slipped out releases which I'm a real fan off. It would be nice to have extras and a fanfare but I'm happy just to see these things on DVD where they should be.

Now if only I could get a job that was as exciting as looking through Canal+'s back catalogue and saying "I'll take that...that...that and three of those" :D

Reservoir 02-13-07 03:50 AM

I had a look at the UK DVD last night.

DD2.0 French with removable English subtitles. 16:9/anamorphic and a very nice pic too.

10 minute 'making of' and almost 30 minutes of quite good interviews. The content looks pretty much just like the French StudioCanal release except they've trimmed some of the interviews.

One of my fav French films of the 90s and definitely worth a look.

nitin77 02-13-07 05:47 AM

reservoir,

is it comparable to audiard's last 2 films, I quite liked those ?

Cosmic Bus 02-13-07 09:40 AM

Has anyone found a good price on this? I'd love to pick it up, but the $30 tag (post-shipping) is tough to swallow. The exchange rate needs shape up again!

Reservoir 02-13-07 10:06 AM

I'm not a big fan of The Beat That My Heart Skipped / Read My Lips but if you enjoyed those it's worth a try. I liked A Self-Made Hero becaue I believed the story and it was very well played by Mathieu Kassovitz (director of La Haine of course).

I din't like the story in Fingers and The Beat That My Heart Skipped is a remake of that annoying film. Read My Lips was also unbelievable.

Reservoir 02-13-07 10:11 AM

For the best price (and you don't mind waiting) hang around because Optimum's prices yo-yo so keep an eye on Amazon

chaos2046 04-09-07 12:02 PM

Right now I've just ordered a copy from Amazon UK sine the price is down to £5.97!! :D

Reservoir 04-09-07 01:41 PM

Excellent price :)

If you click on their Special Offers in the DVD section and then World Cinema there are lots of great prices.

Cosmic Bus 04-09-07 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by chaos2046
Right now I've just ordered a copy from Amazon UK sine the price is down to £5.97!! :D

Sold! That's the kind of thing I've been waiting for. Thanks for the heads-up!