Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't Alejandro Jodorowsky involved in film anymore?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-06, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this topic could be in the Movie Talk section, but I have a feeling that most in there haven't heard of Alejandro Jodorowsky.

I'm just curious to why he isn't involved in film that much - either as a director, writer, set designer, art direction? Has anyone read or heard any interviews with him in which he explains why he's not as involved in film? He's always involved in fantastic graphic novels, but does anyone know if he's consistently approached by Hollywood or other filmmakers, or they all just leave him alone?

I know that he was sort of involved recently in King Shot and Son of El Topo, but those movies supposedly fell through and got canned.
Old 11-29-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hadn't heard that "King Shot" had been scuttled, and thought it was about to go into production. If it's completed, it'll be his first film in about 10-15 years.
Old 11-30-06, 03:15 AM

I remember reading some interviews a few years back where he mentions that in the 1990s he tried to get some film projects off the ground, but could not find financing for them. As his graphic novels are at the same time popular and sell relatively well, I would imagine it to be more worthwhile for him to work in that medium, rather than try to struggle with the film industry.
Old 11-30-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't understand why someone with his name would have trouble getting financing, especially if he wants to do his typical type of movie - wierd and obscure. I'm curious to how much money he wanted to finance his flick.

I wish some big Hollywood producer would let him do a big budget fantasy/sci-fi film already. I'm sure he would have done a better job on DUNE than David Lynch...
Old 11-30-06, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I don't understand why someone with his name would have trouble getting financing, especially if he wants to do his typical type of movie - wierd and obscure. I'm curious to how much money he wanted to finance his flick.
I'm not that surprised, to be honest. "Weird and obscure" is not what producers are, unfortunately, really looking for. Jodorowsky simply isn't someone who is bankable.

One must remember that even The Holy Mountain would probably not have happened had it not been for John Lennon who was a fan and able to get him the money. Another thing to remember is that for the last 30 years of his life, even Akira Kurosawa had trouble finding financing for his movies. If Kurosawa had troubles, I don't know who wouldn't...

As for how much money Jodorowsky would need, I think the planned sequel to El Topo was supposed to cost around $15 million. Which is not an enormous sum of money in today's film business terms, but apparently still too much for anyone to risk it. I also doubt that the film would have made $15 million in the box-office, although with DVD sales included it might have been able to break even, although it might not.

I actually think that Lynch's Mulholland Drive cost about $15 million. Now, Lynch also had trouble getting money together for the movie, and I think it in the end only just made the money back for the producers. And Lynch is far better known as a director than is Jodorowsky, and therefore a far safer bet.

In the end, it is of course really sad that talents like Jodorowsky and others (Terry Gilliam comes to mind) are unable to release their vision because of financing issues.
Old 11-30-06, 11:27 AM

Why?
Because it's easier to fleece suckers from their hard earned $ with some BS new age hokum called "Psychomagic" than make films these days.

His carny roots realy come on strong & it's a rather shabby end of a man's brilliant career pulling these rubes in for a few hundred euros a pop with tarot cards & pop psychology.

Watch the "Fando Y Lis" DVD extras for a few examples.
Old 12-02-06, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Here's one interview from last year. It's really too bad that Humanoids comics has basically shut down in the US after the DC deal got shut down.

http://www.shanatinglipton.com/jodo1.html
Old 12-03-06, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim
Here's one interview from last year.
Thanks for the link!
Old 12-03-06, 06:24 AM

I discovered his work with "L'incal/John Difool" comic and because he wrote some chronicles in the french
magazine "Metal Hurlant" named "Le dojo de Jodo" with titles such as "The sexual life of Superman".