Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Jindabyne" (from director of "Lantana") - R4 Australian DVD releasing 11/29

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Jindabyne" (2006) is an Australian film starring Laura Linney and Gabriel Byrne, and is directed by Lantana-director Ray Lawrence. In addition to Australia theaters, it also played at various film festivals including Cannes and Toronto. A limited U.S. release is scheduled for April of 2007.

The Region 4 Australian DVD is releasing on November 29th and is up for pre-order via CD-WOW ($25.95 not including any leftover coupons you might have) and Australian e-tailers (atlanticdvd.com.au (approx. $24), or ezydvd.com.au).

Following is the IMDb link:
Jindabyne (2006) at IMDb.com

Following is a link to the official site where you can find a trailer and plot synopsis:
Jindabyne - official site with trailer

And here for your convenience is the plot synopsis (taken from the official site):

The story of a murder and a marriage. A powerful and original film about the things that haunt us. On an annual fishing trip, in isolated high country, Stewart [Gabriel Byrne], Carl, Rocco and Billy ('the Kid') find a girl's body in the river. It's too late in the day for them to hike back to the road and report their tragic find. Next morning, instead of making the long trek back, they spend the day fishing. Their decision to stay on at the river is a little mysterious–almost as if the place itself is exerting some kind of magic over them. When the men finally return home to Jindabyne, and report finding the body, all hell breaks loose. Their wives can't understand how they could have gone fishing with the dead girl right there in the water–she needed their help. The men are confused–the girl was already dead, there was nothing they could do for her. Stewart's wife Claire [Laura Linney] is the last to know. As details filter out, and Stewart resists talking about what has happened, she is unnerved. There is a callousness about all of this which disturbs her deeply. Stewart is not convinced that he has done anything wrong. Claire's faith in her relationship with her husband is shaken to the core. The fishermen, their wives and their children are suddenly haunted by their own bad spirits. As public opinion builds against the actions of the men, their certainty about themselves and the decision they made at the river is challenged. They cannot undo what they have done. Only Claire understands that something fundamental is not being addressed. She wants to understand and tries to make things right. In her determination Claire sets herself not only against her own family and friends but also those of the dead girl. Her marriage is taken to the brink and her peaceful life with Stewart and their young son hangs in the balance.
Old 11-19-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't sound like a big departure from his work on Lantana, but I do really enjoy these dark dramas, so I'll have to check this one out. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-22-06, 07:15 PM

Is his first big movie -- Bliss -- available on DVD anywhere? I remember renting that on vhs a million years ago and being totally mesmerized and would love to own a good quality copy.
Old 11-29-06, 03:07 PM

This is right out of a scene in Robert Altman's "Short Cuts" --right down to the number of fishermen, the dead girl, and the reaction of the wives. So much for originality.
Old 11-29-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it at the Toronto Film Festival. It is based on the same Raymond Carver short story that was used in Short Cuts. I'm a huge fan of Short Cuts and any flaws with Jindbayne (I think there are quite a few) do not come from copying Short Cuts or from "unoriginality."

I don't think Jindbayne is a great movie - but I feel it is worth seeing for the acting and the atmosphere.
Old 12-01-06, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by pjflyer
...any flaws with Jindbayne (I think there are quite a few) do not come from copying Short Cuts or from "unoriginality."
For me, such duplication is sort of a handicap from the start, since there are more movies out there to watch than I have time to see. I'm inclined not to watch "remakes" without a good reason. So, for instance, I've never had any desire to watch Gus Van Sant's scene-by-scene remake of "Psycho," or what usually turn out to be dumbed down American versions of foreign films (e.g. Vanilla Sky for Obre Los Ojos -though I did watch both in this case for purposes of comparison). On the other hand, I am open to taking a look at improvements or reinterpretations. You've seen both movies. Does Jindbayne improve on, or reinterpret, the sequence from Short Cuts?
Old 12-01-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

raymond carver's story was a short story, its use in Short Cuts was as practically as a short story.

Jindabyne takes the short sotry and expands on it to make a feature length film. Its also a pretty good one. Well worth a watch.
Old 02-03-07, 12:34 PM

I've been waiting for EzyDVD to get Bliss back in stock since November. Could someone recommend another Aussie retailer that does have it?
Old 02-03-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
Could someone recommend another Aussie retailer that does have it?
http://www.fbo.com.au/movie.asp?ID=20307

They typically suppy product in less than 2 weeks. I recently got Vengo from them.

edit: It looks like the release date has been changed....
http://www.dvdbuzz.com.au/releases/r...roductID=13955

Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-03-07 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-03-07, 01:50 PM

Thank you, pro-b! The validation process at FBO is a little unusual (I don't recall having to do something like this for years now) but hopefully they can get ahold of this DVD.
Old 02-04-07, 01:10 AM

I'll definitely be picking this up.

I think Lawrence is a great director. I would have liked them to have used this photo as the basis of a poster as the other posters I've seen do nothing for me.
Old 02-04-07, 01:12 AM

If people want Lawrence's Bliss it's in stock here

A blood sample is not required.
Old 02-04-07, 01:21 AM

Looks like they did use that photo but not entirely successfully for me.
Old 07-16-07, 03:42 PM

UK DVD of Jindabyne September 2007 from Revolver.