Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Mathis Landwehr - the German Tony Jaa

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen the movies of Germany's Mathis Landwehr? He seems to be the up-and-coming martial artist/action star of Germany. He did some stunts/stunt choreography for V FOR VENDETTA.

He's got three movies out/coming out. Two are already on DVD. The first one is called KAMPFANSAGE (the German DVD is PAL, anamorphic video, German DD 5.1, and English subtitles) :

He's got another movie out on Thai DVD called LASKO. It looks like a good ol' 90s action movie a la Under Seige. The villain is the under-rated Arnold Vosloo:

You can order the Anamorphic DVD, English/Thai DD 5.1 from http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?asso...1895&pid=25356. I assume it's a dubbed movie.

And then he has one more that is coming out called KINGZ. It looks like 8 Mile starring Bruce Lee, instead of Eminem.

Check out the trailers for KAMPFANSAGE, LASKO, and KINGZ at:
http://www.mathislandwehr.com/media.htm

I ordered the KAMPFANSAGE DVD from German Amazon and I'll give a little short review of it after watching it.
Here's a very positive review of the movie itself in English:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.ri...ampfansage.htm
And here's a fair to negative review of the DVD (not the movie) in German. Poor video and audio quality but perfect extras. According to this German review, it reminds me of the first DVD releases of Ryuhei Kitamura's VERSUS:
http://www.dvd-palace.de/dvd-review-r5t1759.htm
And here's a very cool quicktime clip of the KAMPANSAGE DVD menu, definitely confirming English subtitles:
http://marcelweisheit.com/index.php?pid=74&subpage=1

Last edited by toddly6666; 09-30-06 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-29-06, 11:03 AM

I loved...

KAMPFANSAGE. There's a couple of things wrong with it (set in a too recent future,too flashy for its own good), but the film is a lot of fun with some great sequences. I don't see what they German site was talking about, the DVD is pretty great. I think the style is actually more "clean" than Tony Jaa, with more forms executed. I can't wait to see more of his films.
Old 09-29-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never heard of this guy before...at least I know Tony Jaa.
Old 09-30-06, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi toddly6666. Any idea how can I order this dvd? Is there a way by which I can turn the German Amazon.com website into an English friendly website? Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 09-30-06, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GnX18
Hi toddly6666. Any idea how can I order this dvd? Is there a way by which I can turn the German Amazon.com website into an English friendly website? Please let me know. Thanks.
-> Information for English speaking Customers
Old 09-30-06, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazon in any other language is very easy....it follows the same format as English amazon.... You can either use Babel Fish translator which is a huge help...or just open two screens - one with english amazon and the other with german amazon - and compare and contrast...it's very easy...and if you already have your credit card info in the english amazon, it should be in the foreign amazon as well...
Old 09-30-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The movie "Lasko" seems to be available already via Thai DVD. What's the original language on the film? IMDb shows English and the Thai DVD has an English audio track, but no German. Also, I don't know if those new Thai censorship rules would have any effect on this particular release.
Old 09-30-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks flixtime....it's sold for 10 bucks at ethaicd.com under the name LASKO DEATHTRAIN....It looks like a definite b-movie. And according to imdb, it was a german tv movie - not sure whether it finally decided to play on german tv or german movie theaters...so I guess the thai dvd is dubbed, maybe not arnold vosloo though since he speaks english...It got really lousy reviews, i probably won't get it. I'm curious to see Mathis Landwehr and Vosloo, but my heart is telling me that I'll never want to watch LASKO again.

KAMPFANSAGE looks like it has more rewatchable value...
Old 09-30-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a better trailer for KAMPFANSAGE with English subtitles...basically looks like a slightly futuristic Shaw Bros kung fu film with Germans:
http://www.kampfansage.com/downloads...233924bc49033c
Old 09-30-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the tips guys! Anyway, toddly6666 how much did you pay for the KAMPFANSAGE dvd? Please let me know again. Thanks.
Old 09-30-06, 06:17 PM

Man i'm sold on the trailer. looks awsome ...so whats the best place to order this dvd, and is there any other plans for this to come to r1, or a differnt region any time soon?
It seems American movies outside of Jason Statham... and those direct to dvd Van damme, and Steven Segal movies .... have basicly abandoned the action/martial arts scene.
But with Tony Jaa, b13, SPL, and hopefully this it seems like there is a trend to reinvent the genre outside of America at least. Let's just hope Die hard 4 doesn't end up being watered down to pg-13.
Old 09-30-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GNX18 and Y2J850,
I paid around 27 dollars from Amazon Germany. The DVD itself cost around 10 bucks, but it was the shipping that cost around 17 dollars...Definitely worth it because i'm sure this movie will never come to the USA, unless in film festivals...I didn't really look around at the other German DVD sites, because Amazon is worth the extra money for the convenience and speed. Basically if you want cheaper, you'll have to find a site that has cheap shipping, cuz I can't imagine the DVD being cheaper than 10 bucks...

I'm hoping KAMPFANSAGE will wet my european-martial arts-movie appetite till JADE WARRIOR comes out, which is Finland's first martial arts movie, which looks even better than KAMPFANSAGE.

The movie looks like a martial arts movie directed by Yimou Zhang and the Wachoski Bros starring Finnish actors:
Here's the trailer for JADE WARRIOR:
http://-trailers.blogspot.com/2006/0...6-finnish.html

Last edited by toddly6666; 09-30-06 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-09-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

check out my dvd review of KAMPFANSAGE at http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=480174
Old 10-12-06, 10:41 AM

Death Train is coming out in R1 from Image Entertainment in January.
Old 10-12-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ChristianB, damn it..i just ordered the thai dvd. do you have the link to it to see if any specs are listed? original language?

EDIT: never mind I found it: http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=52244

It's got anamorphic video and english audio, so I think I will be happier with the cheaper Thai dvd, especially for this kind of movie...

Last edited by toddly6666; 10-12-06 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-12-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As flixtime posted in the other Kampfansage thread, the Ger. DVDs available @ xploited cinema for $18.95 (got it for < $22 shipped).

Last edited by RaMMaR; 10-13-06 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-13-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally got around to watching my Thai DVD of LASKO DEATHTRAIN:

It's a pretty entertaining B-movie - a mixture of UNDER SIEGE 2, with monks and nuns. Some of these monks are part of a kung fu sect of Catholism, whom like to protect their faith with their fists (how come this sect wasn't covered in The DaVinci Code?). The movie is worth it just to watch Mathis Landwehr and the underrated Arnold Vosloo. There are maybe 4 martial arts scenes in this movie, not much since it's more of a mid-90s action movie. The directing isn't that great, in which it's quick cuts, not really showing Mathis' talent. There are a few moves here and there which are pretty cool, but not as plentiful as in KAMPFANSAGE. The best scene in the movie is actually an explosion - while the bad guys are being chased by the cops, the villainess in the car throws a detonator on a truck and blows up all the cop cars passing by, sort of like a part of the highway scene in Matrix Reloaded. It's like a direct-to-video action movie, but it was entertaining, and I didn't nod off as I did from trying to watch Superman Returns on DVD. I thought I would be able to enjoy Superman Returns more on video, but nope, I still nodded off.

So, if you miss a good ol' nod to mid-90s B-action movies, go check out LASKO DEATHTRAIN.