Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wong Kar-Wai fans, get happy!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

And throw out whatever version of Chungking Express & Fallen Angels you may have. This new NTSC region3 2-pack edition has an amazing new transfer (these films didn't even look this good in the theater) AND, they both have DTS along with really good English subs and great menus. If you know Chinese, they both have commentaries - but apart from that the only extras are trailers. But still, this is the best dvd of these movies ever, and outside of HD, I don't know how they can look or sound better.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/22206.html

You can find it a lot cheaper than in the above link - I only posted it because it has nice shots of the package.
Old 09-09-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any chance of some screencaps?
Old 09-09-06, 09:02 PM

Cool...If anyone finds some good retailers carring this please post links here. Thanks
Old 09-09-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks like Yesasia has it for $29.99 and their usual free shipping. Consider this puppy ordered!

http://us.yesasia.com/assocred.asp?C...id-1004485955/

I just wish the remastered Happy Together would hurry up and become available outside of that expensive 10th Anniversary set... It's my favorite of his films!

Last edited by Cosmic Bus; 09-09-06 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-09-06, 10:20 PM

Wow, very tempting.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-10-06, 01:52 AM

sweet...i'll have to get this. is $30 looking like the cheapest?

(is there an international/other-region site like dvdpricesearch to compare prices?)

also, what are the best current versions of some of his other films?
Old 09-11-06, 11:20 AM

Who did the commentaries?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slop101
And throw out whatever version of Chungking Express & Fallen Angels you may have. This new NTSC region3 2-pack edition has an amazing new transfer (these films didn't even look this good in the theater) AND, they both have DTS along with really good English subs and great menus. If you know Chinese, they both have commentaries - but apart from that the only extras are trailers. But still, this is the best dvd of these movies ever, and outside of HD, I don't know how they can look or sound better.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/22206.html

You can find it a lot cheaper than in the above link - I only posted it because it has nice shots of the package.
I wonder how the transfer of Fallen Angels compares to the stunning R4 Accent disc which I own? I'll upgrade Chungking Express in a heartbeat as I don't like the transfer on the Rolling Thunder disc. I wish someone would get around to remastering Days of Being Wild and Happy Together as I would like to pick those up too.
Old 09-14-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered this set on the basis of slop101's info alone - and I can't wait to get it!

If anyone needs confirmation as to the quality of this release, DVD Times posted a glowing review yesterday: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=62749

The video quality on both films is striking. I’ve seen both films before on a number of DVD and VCD editions – this would be the fourth edition of Chungking Express I’ve owned on DVD – and I’ve never seen either film look as good as they do here. I wouldn’t have believed they could look this good, since even the previous best editions of the films still showed numerous tiny marks and scratches that I thought must have been inherent in the rough and ready nature of the making of the films. Not so. On these editions of Chungking Express and Fallen Angels there are no marks or scratches on the films at all. If you have seen any other edition of the film on DVD, you can imagine exactly how big a difference that makes. What might not be evident from the screenshots accompanying this review however is just how fluid and stable the films now look, with not a single flicker or digital artefact, perfectly detailing even the most blurred motion and time-lapse sequences of the films. Doubtlessly restored, the quality of the prints here reveals Chungking Express and Fallen Angels to be as clear and colourful as we have become accustomed to expect from Wong Kar-Wai in films like In The Mood For Love and 2046. Only blacks are relatively less well defined, not showing a great amount of shadow detail, and Fallen Angels is slightly softer than Chungking Express, but with the use of various filters, that may well be intentional. Fallen Angels also occasionally displays some digital noise at the bottom left of the screen, but as this is about one-pixil in height, it will only be visible on displays with no overscan whatsoever. Some might find the 1.78:1 aspect ratio of both transfers an issue, but in practice it appears to make very little difference to the compositions of the films. Otherwise, the films here look outstanding and it is hard to conceive of them looking any better than they do here.

Perhaps more controversially, the original Dolby Digital 2.0 tracks of both films have been dropped in favour of new Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 remixes. Considering the rights to the films belong to the filmmakers themselves and that the films have doubtlessly been restored by Jet Tone/Block 2 Pictures, I would expect that these would be official restorations and remixes of the original soundtracks. The surround mixes here are fabulous. There is a fair amount of hiss still audible on the dialogue track – evidently a consequence of the improvisational nature of the original analogue recording, but the dialogue is clear with none of the roughness, crackle and sibilance found on previous editions of the films. [T]he overall effect of the new mixes is powerful and enveloping, as these films ought to be, with no noticeable re-recording or addition of new sounds or music cues. It’s hard to hold any grudge against the non-inclusion of the original 2.0 mixes...
Old 09-14-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW do other Firefox users here have also problems with the Yesasia site? Seems always to be crashing my browser.
Old 09-15-06, 12:25 AM
Cool New Member

So it seems these are available separately:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004485957/
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004485956/

I've been hoping for a better transfer of Chungking Express ever since I first saw it on IFC all those years ago. I'm so used to the shoddy Miramax print, that I almost wonder if a cleaner transfer will be distracting... :-)
Old 09-15-06, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was just about to post those links, JayHM.

Never got around to ordering the two-pack earlier in the week, and may not now. I'll probably go for the individual Chungking disc and Accent's R4 Fallen Angels disc, which I've heard from several sources is still superior to this R3 remaster.
Old 09-15-06, 04:02 PM
Cool New Member

I have the Accent disc, so as soon as I get this new one, I'll post my thoughts on how the two compare. The Accent transfer is beautiful, but this new disc has 5.1, and this review claims the image looks better even than the Accent:

http://twitchfilm.net/forum/index.ph...11370#msg11370
Old 09-18-06, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I received the "Chungking Express" and "Fallen Angels" R3-Korea 2-pack on Saturday, and viewed all of "FA" and the first story of "CE". I posted some thoughts over on the criterion forum, and I thought I'd copy them here.

Having only seen the Kino discs previously, both of the new transfers represent exceptional improvements, as noted in the DVD TIMES review. Unfortunately, I don't have the Accent R4 "Fallen Angels" to compare. The screen-grabs from the Accent disc on the Beaver do not appear obviously superior or inferior to the new Korean release, but that's hardly a worthwhile comparison. The Korean release is not PAL-sourced and runs longer than even the other NTSC version (1:38:33, as I recall). Both transfers appear to be straight NTSC masters, without PAL speedup or any ghosting effect from improper conversion.

The audio is a complete and total "WOW!". Even given DVD TIMES' positive assessment, I was as skeptical as I generally am regarding remixed HK/Korean tracks, which often represent the very worst tendencies in sound mixing with overactive and overloud effects, volume-boosting that reduces dynamic range and introduces distortion, and that typical hollow "echoey" effect like a bad DSP (think "HALL" or "STADIUM"). None of that is present here. I have no idea if these are "approved" remixes from the 2.0 surround tracks, but they are impressively done, without any fake-sounding matrixing, hollowness, or echo-ey effects. Just lush, rich, gorgeousness. I'm not merely impressed; I'm blown away.

The DTS track is superior to the DD-5.1 (which is also quite good), ang again without any volume- or bass-boosting. Sounds emerge from a dark quiet background that's even blacker on the DTS track, with an impressively immersive soundtrack. Even given all the background noise and music, dialog comes through very clearly without any crackle or sibilance, as do discrete sound effects.

As noted in the DVD Times review, the subtitles are far from perfect. On the plus side, however, they are white and non-obtrusive, without any jarring syntactical errors. I counted at least 4 typos/misspellings in "Fallen Angels" ("diffiicult", "frinds"). The biggest error I found on "FA" - unless this part is not generally translated (and it may not be for any of the usual reasons) - is that the lyrics to the song "no. 1818" (I think) on the jukebox ("my lucky number") are not translated. I'm not sure if these are translated on the Kino disc (it's been awhile since my Netflix rental), but I seem to recall that they are. It's still clear from the tone of the music and the reaction (and, of course, the setup) what's meant by the song, but I suspect the lyrics should have been translated.

The subtitles in the first half of "CE" (haven't viewed the second story yet) also sport a few errors, including the frickin' title page ("Chunking Express"!). After that extraordinary lapse, the worst I can recall is a typo for "sacrifce" and the lack of an apostrophe in "chef s salad" -- in fact, everytime "chef s salad" is mentioned. There's also one "syntactical" error that appears to be of the sloppy editing variety ("I Knowing someone is not the same as...").

There's also an authoring glitch that effects both discs - if, while watching, you return to the menu page, when you return to the film, it will default to the DD-5.1 track (the no. 1 track) instead of either the DTS or commentary track. It will also default to the Korean subtitles instead of English or none. So, if you stop the disc or return to the menu, and you're not viewing with the DD-5.1 track engaged and Korean subs, you'll have to change it back. Both audio and subs can be changed on-the-fly.

Lastly, there's an unusual effect on the subtitles that I guess may be related to my player as these are player generated subs, but I doubt it. On both discs, whenever there is a very light background, one can see a faint red "shadow" on the edge of the letters, sorta like red fringing on a poorly focused/calibrated RPTV. It is only occasionally distracting, and not visible at all on my set in the darker scenes. But, along with the possible error of not translating the song lyrics in "FA", I considered this to be the most notable defect of these discs.

I've made a good many criticisms of these discs, but I should also point out that I had nothing short of a Kar-Wai-Wonderful weekend. I simply could not stop watching "Fallen Angels", even after watching nearly every scene twice that first time through, and wondering how I could ever have considered it to be a lesser film than "Chungking Express". I think now it's my favorite WKW. Tonight, I'll be watching the second half of "Chungking Express" (up till now, my favorite WKW)... and then I suspect that "Fallen Angels" disc will be queued up again!
Old 09-18-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine should arrive any day now... I'm pumped!!!
Old 09-18-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got this one YesAsia.

Will agree on Malloy's review and would further emphasize the video/audio quality of this set...absolutely gorgeous!!!!
Old 09-18-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I always liked FA a little better than CE too. That FA came out after CE is what may have lessened it in most other people's eyes.
Old 09-19-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

much better than accent disc, both video and audio wise.
Old 09-19-06, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nitin77
much better than accent disc, both video and audio wise.
That's pretty impressive. The accent disc is nice.
Old 09-22-06, 08:23 AM

My .02:

I can't remember if the Ocean Shores vcd or LD versions of Fallen Angels has the 1818 song translated or not, I can check this weekend. My first impression was that picture was a bit on the dark side, I had to boost the brightness higher than normal to get any shadow detail (I'm not typically a picky person in the audio/video department, btw.) On the sound, with my sub currently disabled, I thought the DTS track was just okay and not distinctive versus the DD when I toggled the two briefly. I don't have the Kino disc or R4 disc so this one will do for me.
Old 09-22-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dleedlee
My .02:

I can't remember if the Ocean Shores vcd or LD versions of Fallen Angels has the 1818 song translated or not, I can check this weekend.
It is translated on the Kino disc (which of course is otherwise not a very good disc):

Forget him
And it's like forgetting everything
It's like losing all direction
Losing oneself
Forget him
And it's like forgetting the joy of life
It's like a knife in the heart
Bleeding in pain...

My first impression was that picture was a bit on the dark side, I had to boost the brightness higher than normal to get any shadow detail (I'm not typically a picky person in the audio/video department, btw.)
I didn't find this to be true. In fact, it's the first time I've seen this much detail and this depth of black level.
On the sound, with my sub currently disabled, I thought the DTS track was just okay and not distinctive versus the DD when I toggled the two briefly.
Again, I toggled back and forth, and while the DD-5.1 track is better than any other Dolby track I've ever heard for this film (er, the Kino disc!), it's not as good as the DTS track. I know it sounds like I'm quibbling with your impressions, but I'm extraordinarily picky about this stuff and find many HK/Korean DTS tracks to be nothing more than their DD-5.1 counterparts with a volume and bass boost. That's definitely not the case here. Both tracks are mastered at appropriate volume levels, such that dynamic range isn't limited nor any distortion introduced. This is not one of those crappy HK discs that requires you to turn your reference level down 10 dbs and still suffer the harsh sizzle of poor mastering. And the DTS track is notably better, with better separation among the foley, a much quieter/darker background, and a warmer midrange for the many music tracks. The DD-5.1 track sounds somewhat anemic in comparison (though still exceedingly better than the Kino disc), with a hashiness that arises whenever your equipment is asked to resolve many sound effects (particularly in those moments with gunfire, glass flying, peoples' voices, music, and narration all at once).

I also want to point out that though it's fairly clear that the original elements were used to create this remixed 5.1 track, that it sounds to me all in keeping with the original character of the mix. For example, "California Dreamin'" sounds better than it did on the Kino "Chungking Express" disc, but they didn't "perfect" it. It still sounds like it's coming from Faye's boombox, changing in character and quality depending on how close one is to it (save later in the film when it appears as part of the "soundtrack").

Also on the "Chungking Express" disc, check out the subtle but entirely encompassing soundfield whenever Faye meets 663 in the markets (is that Stanley Market?), while he's eating or as they stroll about the stalls and bodegas. The soundfield is unbelievably realistic, with tiny snatches of sounds and conversations - close your eyes, and you could be there. Very subtle. Very effective.
Old 11-01-06, 07:20 PM

is this still available any where?
Old 11-02-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wennma01
is this still available any where?
dvdfromkorea says "usually ships in 1-2 days". It seems other places, like yesasia only have the individual discs.
Old 11-02-06, 01:21 PM

thanks...i saw the individuals at a few places but i didn't check dvdfromkorea