Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

KRRISH DVD Mini Review (Bollywood Superhero Movie!)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-21-06, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the majority of Bollywood movies suck due to repetitiveness / unoriginality / amateurishly made / cheesy dialogue / overacting / adolescent representation of male & female relationships, I just bought the one Bollywood movie that will probably be my only Bollywood DVD purchase this year - the 2nd superhero movie that India has ever made called KRRISH (the first Indian superhero movie was called MR. INDIA made in 1987).

KRRISH is pretty awesome and it lives up to its hype. If you've seen your fair share of Bollywood flicks, this movie is not only a good superhero movie, but for a Bollywood movie, it's a huge step up in the technical production, CGI, special effects, and fight choreography. KRRISH has raised the standards for other Bollywood films. Although Bollywood action movie standards will most likely not change as much as THE MATRIX caused a huge change for Hollywood action film standards, there is no reason for other Bollywood action movie filmmakers to keep on releasing half-assed movie productions with straight-to-video quality.

KRRISH is a sequel to 2003's Bollywood E.T.-influenced sci-fi movie called KOI MIL GAYA. I was happy to see that KOI MIL GAYA was Bollywood's stab at sci-fi, which is much appreciated, but that movie was simply awful. It got a lot of respect and good reviews, but it's a painful movie to watch, unless you think a mentally retarded dude meeting an alien is entertainment. Even when the mentally retarded dude gets powers from the alien and stops acting retarded, he still seems retarded. In KRRISH, that mentally retarded person is the father to the main hero in KRRISH. That father-son connection is the only thing that connects these two movies. At first, I thought it's a cheap way of connecting the two movies so that the director can make some trilogy out of these movies, but after watching KRRISH, the unrelatedness does make some wacky sense, so now I would be curious to watch KOI MIL GAYA again, but I sold it used for $4 to a dvd store and I ain't buying that movie again, even if these movies, along with a definite KRISSH 2, will become a trilogy.

KRISSH is a really good superhero movie. Since Bollywood is usually a decade behind, I was expecting a 1990s style superhero movie - Batman Forever, The Crow, The Punisher, The Shadow. But surprisingly, KRISSH follows in the same successful pattern as in current superhero trends - origin/back story and more drama than action. The first half of KRISSH is all character development and origin story of the superhero named Krissh (his alter ego first name is Krishna). This superhero character has as much or even more development than in Spiderman, Hulk or Batman Begins. The tone throughout the movie is a mixture of drama and very funny humor (I hate Bollywood comedy, but this movie has universal humor), unlike the dry Superman Returns. KRRISH is ten times more entertaining than Superman Returns by the way. Both movies have the drama factor and maybe 20 minutes worth of action, but KRRISH is just so much more entertaining. The action, choreographed by the great Tony Ching Siu Tung of HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS, HERO, SHAOLIN SOCCER fame, is tame in this movie, but for a Bollywood movie or even a non-Hong Kong film, the action is still pretty awesome. The superhero, Krissh, is mainly a fast runner and big leaper, so the wire work is mainly the focus. Hrithik Roshan, starring as Krissh, did an amazing job with the action choreography and wirework - very graceful and not awkward. He trained like mad for this role and it shows. The action is a little bit more than in Superman Returns, but at least in KRISSH, most of the action scenes are memorable, because they are all creatively done even if they have been influenced or knocked-off of other Hollywood movies (Spiderman, Tarzan, Zorro, The Incredibles, Paycheck, The Matrix). Although
there is more soap opera drama (good superhero back story) than action, the CGI/special effects are still used all throughout the movie in excellent subtle ways, and not in a negative-in-your-face George Lucas way.

This is a very good superhero movie, even a bit touching. You will really enjoy this movie if the following things don't bug you:
1. The wind machine is always used in the presence of the superhero and the lead female.
2. Hrithik Roshan has a thumb that breaks off into two mini claw thumbs, which is very distracting to me, but I still think he's one of Bollywood's best screen presence. Since he is a superhero, they should of have some super beam of light that shoots out his double claw thumb - sort of like a Green Thumb Lantern, instead of a ring.
3. Slow motion action - I personally love it, especially in superhero movies. It just works better. When you have characters dressed in costumes moving at real time, it just looks silly.
4. I love songs in Bollywood movies, but the songs are just blah blah whatever in this movie - nothing special and the movie would have been better (and a bit shorter) without the 3 or 4 forgettable songs in this flick.

The NTSC ALL REGION 2-disk DVD is a pretty sweet package. KRISSH is produced by a DVD company called ADLABS. I have never heard of this Bollywood DVD company. I guess they are new, but either way, they sure make a top quality DVD. The movie is on one disk and the plentiful extras are on the other. The anamorphic video is of excellent quality, especially for a Bollywood dvd - the colors are very vivid and three-dimensional, flattering the film's excellent cinematography. The DD 5.1 Hindi and DD 2.0 Hindi are very nice as well. Your surrounds and subwoofer get a workout with this superhero action movie. There are tons of subtitles options on this DVD - you get English, Arabic, Dutch, French, Hebrew, Malay, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Tamil, Telugu, and Malayan. Strangely, the Germans are left out. That's wierd because Germans love Bollywood. The English subtitles are good enough, with grammar mistakes here and there. There are some really good extras - although not subtitled, the main actors interviewed are all speaking english. There are about four 20 minute making-of-the-film clips. The best one is of the training that Hrithik Roshan went through. It looked like the same heavy training as the actors did in The Matrix. (Note: during Hrithik Roshan's training, he wraps up his double claw thumb. I'm curious to why he does that. Is it painful or does it get in the way?). There are also a bunch of trailers of bad Bollywood films and there is some save-the-people clip about some current genocide in India that the media never talks about. Overall, an excellent DVD package with really nice packaging as well.

If you like good superhero movies or if you are disappointed with most Bollywood movies, then I totally recommend KRRISH. I hope there will be sequels of this new Indian superhero. If the director and producers were smart, they should also market this character into comic books, toys, etc. They should not only financially take advantage of creating a good Bollywood movie, but they should create a whole Indian pop culture out of the character. At least check out the movie for the Indian Monica Bellucci-ish actress, Priyanka Chopra, Winner of the Miss India and Miss World beauty pageants in 2000:

You can find the dvd online for 21 bucks at www.nehaflix.com or just go to your India grocery store or Indian neighborhood and you can haggle the price with them.
And you can check out the website/trailer at:
http://www.krrishthemovie.com/

FILM: 8
DVD VIDEO: 9
DVD AUDIO: 9
EXTRAS: 7

Last edited by toddly6666; 08-22-06 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 12:55 PM

When watching the occasional Bollywood film I try my best to suspend my brain, and ignore regular copied elements from other films.

The unfortunate thing with Krrish is its been manufactured by Bollywood as the next Crouching Tiger, which is simply a joke. And yes apparently they do have action figures for kids (probably only in India). Why? And what is my problem? Well its simply the fact that the script is pretty weak, and the central plot is a complete rip of Paycheck, a fairly poor Hollywood film. So, with nothing original, average acting, and a poor script, they should keep this film (and will) firmly within Bollywood cinemas and Indian video stores.

Sorry. But thats the reality of this.

And for reference I own about 30 Bollywood films. Some are quite enjoyable.

Bollywood needs to clean house and look towards doing harder more original matter before the world will take note. And I doubt that will be soon in coming.

Jim
Old 09-04-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jim Long,
I agree with you - Bollywood more or less sucks. There are many negatives even in the supposed "good" bollywood movies. Even in my favorite Bollywood movies, they still pretty much suck when comparing them to all other films. Look at Laagan, Company (no song&dance), and Devdas - respectable Bollywood movies. They all have gotten respect by the outside world, but there are more than enough qualities in all three of them which make them still pretty fair to overrated movies, but enjoyed by enough people to realize that it's a tiny bit different from the usual crap. So what that Oscars recognized Laagan and Cannes recognized Devdas? Awards shows always acknowledge crap - it does not get extra credit for just being a foreign movie. So what that Company, a non-song&dance bollywood flick, is a mafia movie? People eat up mafia movies - it doesn't matter if they suck because crime "underworld" and mafia have been glamorized and respected by everyone. But either way they still ain't as good as a non-bollywood film.
They still may be entertaining - but it doesn't make them good films.

A lot of people say a movie being "good" or "bad" is subjective. Wait till you see the majority of Bollywood films and realize that it is FACT that Bollywood films really suck.

Krrish may not be a good movie, but it is pretty good for a superhero movie and it's pretty good for a Bollywood film...

I'm pretty impressed that they actually have action figures for KRRISH selling in India - way to go! Wanna order the 12 inch figure or the 4 inch figure? Check it out at:
https://www.sirindia.com/details.asp?ProductID=10131651
http://shop.indiainfo.com/product.ph...=598&reftype=C

Last edited by toddly6666; 09-04-06 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-05-06, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll defend Company, not Lagaan or Devdas, they're just empty spectacles. But Company and Satya are great. So they're glorifying mafia films, so is The Godfather, Goodfellas and Mean Streets.

I'm not comparing Company to the 3 films mentioned, in fact the first two are streets ahead in terms of quality. But Company is also a great film. I've never watched it with subtitles, maybe it loses something but the dialogue is generally what makes it for me, very well written for the most part.
Old 09-05-06, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and having seen Krrish, I have to disagree and say that it's neither a good film, nor a good superhero film nor a an entertaining bollywood film