Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Buying DVDs in Japan

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Buying DVDs in Japan

Old 06-18-06, 06:57 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying DVDs in Japan

Hi,

I am lucky enough to be visting Japan in August.

Does anyone know of any special DVDs I should be looking out for there. Either Japanese exclusives or special edition Western DVDs.

I've already got the Japanese only Kill Bill 1. Any other suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Cheers
Old 06-18-06, 11:04 AM

you would be better off buying other things in japan that its hard to find online : i would suggest film posters for example. DVD from japanese sources are easy to find online, posters (again, only an example) are not so easy (though there are some sites - theyre hard to navigate and the shops are stocked to the gills with cheapness)... yesasia.com or cdjapan.co.jp are good japanese sites for DVDs, and theyre places i use.
Old 06-18-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
DVD's in Japan are very expensive. I visited Tokyo last summer and really didn't buy anything because there wasn't anything I couldn't already get at home cheaper....But, since your there I'd recommend Lorelei: The Witch of the Pacific Ocean. It's a Japanese World War 2 submarine thriller similar to Das Boot. There are english subtitles and part of the movie is shot in english with some American actors. There is a 25 dollar basic 2-disc set and more expensive 30+ dollar set. It's Region 2, NTSC, so you will need a multi region DVD player.
Old 06-18-06, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
DVD's in Japan are very expensive. I visited Tokyo last summer and really didn't buy anything because there wasn't anything I couldn't already get at home cheaper....But, since your there I'd recommend Lorelei: The Witch of the Pacific Ocean. It's a Japanese World War 2 submarine thriller similar to Das Boot. There are english subtitles and part of the movie is shot in english with some American actors. There is a 25 dollar basic 2-disc set and more expensive 30+ dollar set. It's Region 2, NTSC, so you will need a multi region DVD player.
yes japanese discs are expensive, there are also second-hand stores i believe. theres also a cheaper 'lorelei' coming out in japan soon, but again you can buy them online - and theres lots of things you cant...
Old 06-18-06, 01:32 PM
Cool New Member

DVD online shops

Originally Posted by logboy
you would be better off buying other things in japan that its hard to find online : i would suggest film posters for example. DVD from japanese sources are easy to find online, posters (again, only an example) are not so easy (though there are some sites - theyre hard to navigate and the shops are stocked to the gills with cheapness)... yesasia.com or cdjapan.co.jp are good japanese sites for DVDs, and theyre places i use.
Thanks for the advice. I've ordered quite a few DVDs from yesasia but didn't know about cdjapan. Looks good. I've got a movie poster shop lined up in Tokyo and hopefully I will find lots of interestiing stuff there.

Thanks again
Old 06-18-06, 01:36 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by DJariya

I was assuming that it would be cheaper to buy the disks in Japan than order them online. "Lorelei ..." sounds interesting and I'll look it up.

Thanks
Old 06-18-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts
There's an R3 DVD from Taiwan of "Lorelei ..." available as well.

http://mall.jsdvd.com/product_info.php?products_id=7064
Old 06-18-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You could go to Akihabara and look up at the stores.I am sure not much dicount is offered but the second hand bargain hunting there is really good. You will get a much better priced item. And the item to be in very good condition.