Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

anybody know anything about this (new?) release of Sympathy for Lady Vengeance?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 04-22-06, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found this on cd-wow and it says its set to be released on May 4. it seems to have a lot of the same features as the 'limited edition,' but this listing says that the extras have english subtitles (something i'm looking for), but it doesn't mention the fade to black & white version. does anyone know anything about this release? what company is releasing it? any early reviews for it?

DVD Region 3 - Sympathy For Lady Vengeance: Deluxe Special Edition (2 Disc Set) DTS ES
Price: $23.95 Release/Despatch Date: Thursday 4 May

Certificate: 18+

Category: Asian

No. of Discs: 2

Running Time: 0 minutes

Year Produced: 2005

Region: 3 (South Asia)

Audio: Korean - DTS 5.1
Korean - Dolby 5.1 Surround EX
Cantonese - Dolby Digital 2.0

Subtitles: English, Chinese

Aspect Ratio: 1.85 (Widescreen)

Anamorphic: Yes

Encoding: NTSC

Interactive Features:
Interactive Menus, Scene Selection, Theatrical Trailer, Making Of Feature, Featurette, runtime TBC

Special Features (Chinese/ English Subtitles Available For All Features):

Making Of The Film
Characters For Lady Vengeance: Interviews With The Main Cast
3 Audio Commentary
Sympathy For Lady Vengeance In Venezia
Promotion
Style Of Lady Vengeance
Deleted Scenes
Gag Reel
A Book Of Photo Album For Lady Vengeance
Old 04-22-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this is the HK 2 disc that has just been announced. you may find more info at Twitch.
Old 04-23-06, 04:54 AM

doesnt have the fading version on it, it seems, not from the only info thats around (the cd-wow listing, which i simply transfered and spread the news on via twitch).
Old 04-26-06, 12:45 AM

does anyone know what the packaging will be like for this release? a nice digipack perhaps?
Old 05-08-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seems to have disappeared from CD-Wow. This seems to happen with titles from time to time. Hope it comes back.
Old 05-08-06, 01:33 PM

i ordered this from yesasia, and it shipped on fri....i'll give a mini review of it in a week or so
Old 05-10-06, 08:18 AM
Cool New Member

Hate to break it to everyone, but there are no English subtitles for any of the special features. I just picked up the disc today in Hong Kong and it only has English subtitles for the movie. All other features including the commentaries are subtitled in Chinese only.

Both discs contain the movie with only the audio track differing between the 2 discs. Disc 2 contains the commentaries. The movie is the full-colour, non-fadeout version.
Old 05-10-06, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by kayelefkay
Hate to break it to everyone, but there are no English subtitles for any of the special features. I just picked up the disc today in Hong Kong and it only has English subtitles for the movie. All other features including the commentaries are subtitled in Chinese only.

Both discs contain the movie with only the audio track differing between the 2 discs. Disc 2 contains the commentaries. The movie is the full-colour, non-fadeout version.
dammit, this dvd is already on its way to me. any suggestions on what i should do because if i knew it didn't have english subs on the extras i wouldn't have bought it. should i try to return it to yesasia? how are they on returns? any idea when a version of this with english subs on extras will come out?
Old 05-14-06, 02:55 AM

Anyone know if a Tartan release is scheduled? I just saw the movie at the Nuart theater in LA, and I very much want to buy it. I have the Tartan versions of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy so I was thinking on waiting for Tartan's Lady Vengeance, but if it's not coming out for months then I get too impatient.

Also, what's the fade-out you're all talking about? And if I should get a version now, which should it be?
Old 05-14-06, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm doubtful of Tartan USA's disc having more extras,
as usually, Tartan UK has either the same extras or more than the US versions,

SO far only the Korean 2 disc has the Fade to BW version
Old 05-14-06, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by pizzamousechips
Anyone know if a Tartan release is scheduled? I just saw the movie at the Nuart theater in LA, and I very much want to buy it. I have the Tartan versions of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy so I was thinking on waiting for Tartan's Lady Vengeance, but if it's not coming out for months then I get too impatient.

Also, what's the fade-out you're all talking about? And if I should get a version now, which should it be?
yeh, like above post says : tartan have a UK disc of the film out, low on extras because of licensing. the korean version (no subs on extras) is the only one with the 'fade to black and white' version which had a limited cinema run in korea : this version of the film looks likely to only appear in korea...
Old 05-17-06, 01:38 PM

So the Korean 2-disc is the one to get? I only speak English, but it's still the best?
Old 05-17-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pizzamousechips
So the Korean 2-disc is the one to get? I only speak English, but it's still the best?

The movie has english subs, but all the extras do not. It's the only release to include both versions of the film, however. So yes, I'd say the Korean 2-Disc is the one to get. This one:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...id-1004060258/
Old 05-17-06, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by logboy
the korean version (no subs on extras) is the only one with the 'fade to black and white' version which had a limited cinema run in korea : this version of the film looks likely to only appear in korea...
The french "collector" edition will have both versions, not english friendly, and worth than that, the cinema version
is french dubbed only. So why not a cinema version in other countries.

Disponibilité : A paraître le 08/06/2006 (June 8)

Format vidéo : 16/9
Couleur : Couleur
Format cinéma : 2.35
Langues et format sonore : F, Ko F & Ko : 5.1
Sous-titres : F
Bonus :
Le film en deux versions : - version cinéma (VF DTS) - director's cut (VOST DTS) Livret Making of Interview du réalisateur Interviews des acteurs

Old 05-18-06, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Damed
The movie has english subs, but all the extras do not. It's the only release to include both versions of the film, however. So yes, I'd say the Korean 2-Disc is the one to get. This one:

http://us.yesasia.com/assocred.asp?C...id-1004060258/
Thank you very much. Although the $29.99 price tag is leaving me on the fence...
Old 05-20-06, 01:02 AM

If you buy it before June 30th, you can get free shipping. There is a YesAsia promotion on right now where the minimum total cost for free shipping is only $25.