Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

SOPHIE SCHOLL released on NTSC Region 1 dvd?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if this masterpiece will be released on Region 1 dvd with English subtitles?

This movie is playing in NYC and it's a masterpiece. If you want to see the best acting you have ever seen in years, check out the nazi judge in this movie played by André Hennicke. He out-Al Pacinos Al Pacino in this movie. Very scary and amazing acting.
Old 02-21-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

There is a terrible UK version coming out soon....

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 02-21-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what's going to be terrible about it?
Old 02-21-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The non-anamorphic image and forced English subs announced by the distrib!

Street date is April 24.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 02-21-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Since this is being released theatrically in the U.S., I think it's pretty much a sure thing that there will be a DVD release in R1.
Old 02-21-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is UK still angry at Germany? Why the UK dvd company do that to such a good movie? It sounds passive-aggresive fishy...
Old 02-25-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
I think this movie just barely was released theatrically in the U.S., so I would just be patient. I'm sure there will be some kind of news soon.
Old 08-09-06, 02:11 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
it's up for preorder at TLA

street date: November 14th

Sophie Scholl
Old 08-09-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
it's up for preorder at TLA

street date: November 14th

Sophie Scholl
Looks like the R1 will have everything ported over from the R2 German release.

I didn´t expect that. I´m impressed
Old 08-09-06, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yay! anamorphic widescreen! Does anyone know if the German audio will be DD 5.1 or DTS? It had the most intense and best musical score I've heard in ages. It would be a shame if it's only released with stereo..
Old 08-10-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not buying like I used to, but I'm going to get this one. It was my pick for best foreign film of the year and the extras look great.
Old 11-22-07, 02:54 AM

I never did get around to seeing this movie and for whatever reason, just thought about it again. I read Pro-B's review of the R1 Zeitgeist DVD and am wondering what the best alternative to that one may be. Is there a re-release that I am unaware of for Sophie Scholl? Thank you.
Old 11-22-07, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amon Twin, you can buy the awesome video/audio quality Thai PAL dvd for 10 bucks including shipping at http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=25968. That's the one I have and it's excellent. You gotta get this DVD with DD 5.1, not stereo, cuz it has a pounding musical score...
Old 11-23-07, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Amon Twin, you can buy the awesome video/audio quality Thai PAL dvd for 10 bucks including shipping at http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=25968. That's the one I have and it's excellent. You gotta get this DVD with DD 5.1, not stereo, cuz it has a pounding musical score...
Thanks Toddly,

Will pick this up as I am going to be in Thailand next week...
Old 02-02-08, 06:12 PM

Is there any reason that my Thai Sophie Scholl DVD does not play in my DVD player, but works fine in my computer? I have watched hundreds of PAL DVDs on my DVD player but for some reason this one won't work.

Thanks.
Old 02-03-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

AmonTwin, what does your DVD player do? Freeze at loading? Get to menu, but doesn't play? It's probably a bad egg DVD. If you can get to the menu, can you play the movie from scene selection? I know I have some DVDs which get all crazy if I press the "play movie" button.

Either way, that sucks...
Old 02-03-08, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
AmonTwin, what does your DVD player do? Freeze at loading? Get to menu, but doesn't play? It's probably a bad egg DVD. If you can get to the menu, can you play the movie from scene selection? I know I have some DVDs which get all crazy if I press the "play movie" button.

Either way, that sucks...
Toddly,

Thanks for replying. The disc won't even load in my DVD player. It just spins briefly and then stops really doing anything. It senses its a DVD [as opposed to a CD or something] and then nothing. When I write to ethai about it, they responded with "For this DVD, it's in PAL system which will require universal system DVD players to play in the US. Can you try this DVD on your PC?" But I like I mentioned in my post above and in the email to ethai, I have been using a multi-region player for years with tons of PAL discs with no problems until this one.

The fact that they ask me to try it in my computer implies to me they don't think it is a faulty disc at all, but my player. I don't know if I should bother trying to get another copy to be sure or not....
Old 02-03-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amontwin,
ethaicd.com has been good customer service for me at least. I ordered a "300" dvd and never got it, explained to them that I still hadn't got it, and they sent me another one. There's no way to prove that I didn't get the DVD, but they took my word...I would try to get another DVD copy of Sophie Scholl from them. In your next email, just explain to them that you have a multi-region DVD player and you can play all your other Thai Pal DVDs (even if you don't have any). Just emphasize again that your DVD player is multi-region and the DVD is not loading. I thought that when a non-multiregion DVD player doesn't recognize a different regioned dvd, there is a note that pops up concerning that. In your case, it's not loading, so it's a bad DVD. Make a fuss. They've been good like that and take your word if you get descriptive.

But if you already told them that the DVD works on your computer, then I think you may be screwed. I would have keep that info to yourself. They didn't need to know that information, because if the DVD works on another format, than the DVD is fine. Maybe you can say in your next email that it "rarely" works on your computer, but never works on your DVD player, to imply that the DVD wasn't mastered that great.

It would be a shame to drop the whole thing and just settle for the Region 1 stereo DVD, because this is one of those movies in which the DD 5.1 soundtrack is part of the film. I don't know how active the Region 1 stereo DVD is, but getting that DVD would be the equivalent of buying Gladiator with mono audio....well, gladiator is an action movie, not the greatest example...but let's say a movie with an awesome soundtrack like Requiem for a Dream - I would not want a mono audio DVD version of Requiem for a Dream. Gotta have DD 5.1 for that type of soundtrack. The sound/music is equal to the storyline/visuals of that film. That's how I feel about Sophie Scholl as well...

Last edited by toddly6666; 02-03-08 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 09:57 AM

Thanks Toddly,

I shot them an email explaining the situation. Hopefully, they will send me a new one. Will wait and see.