Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Indian Cinema [PART 3]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Indian Cinema [PART 3]

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLIXTIME, thanks for the info...I have some interesting trivia to maybe make you feel better about the colorization of MUGHAL-E-AZAM. I was worried at first when I heard it was colorized, but I felt better once knowing why it was colorized. It's actually the only info I know about the history of this film: The new DVD release is basically the Director's Cut. The director always intended to shoot the film in color. During the production of the film, he was only able to get enough financing to cover a couple songs in color, but due to lack of financing, he wasn't able to completely film the whole movie in color. So, this film was never meant to be seen as black & white, it was always meant by the creators to be totally in color.

Concerning the quality of Indian films on DVD, the only positive is that there are sometimes many options of getting the right DVD: The USA Region 1 version, the UK PAL version, the Tamil dubbed or vice versa Hindi dubbed version, the countless DVD companies who somehow get rights to the same film so there are a bunch of versions, and then of course "official bootlegs" which could be better quality than others. (In Russia and India, a bootleg DVD is different from western dvd bootlegs, because laws/movie rights are run by mafia, corrupt govt. or lawless govt. - so that's why I give it the term "official bootleg." Because that's what they are.) For example, the DVD version of DIL SE... that I own is the Tamil DVD, because it's the only one released as anamorphic video with English subtitles. Since I don't understand Hindi or Tamil, I don't care that it's dubbed into Tamil - they both sound the same to me anyway. And the majority of Bollywood dvds sound like they are getting dubbed anyway or re-recorded in a studio.
Old 04-14-08, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its nothing like thief of baghdad or wizard of oz but perhaps Mr India (1989?) is worth a look if you are interested in a cheesy but entertaining bollywood attempt at something scifish?

flixtime, haha I dont think I deserve the title of masochist as I dont really watch that many bollywood films anymore. Since I have a whole other stack of films I need to get through first, the ones I'm interested in are piling up. Will get to them one day I guess.
Old 04-15-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't forgotten about having to get back in to the SIVAJI thread, but let me clear this one out of the way while it is fresh in my mind.

Yamadonga (2007 – Telugu)
A routine boy-meets-girl comedy morphs into something else entirely with extended segments which take this effort on a trip into the fantasy/mythology realm as our hero – actor N.T.R. Jr. – finds himself engaged in a battle of wits with the Hindu God of Death. I expect that those viewers with a reasonable tolerance/patience for unsophisticated South Indian-style comedy will find this film much to their delight. While the genre is primarily comedy/fantasy/romance/family-comedy, we do get three satisfying action scenes – more HK/Tony Jaa-inspired as opposed to the usual Matrix-type stuff. The runtime is about 2 hours and 52 minutes, the film really kicks into gear at maybe the 45 minute mark when we enter fantasy-film realm for the middle portion of the film. The final third of the film sort of flatlines as it stays focused on the comedy aspect, where I would have preferred a sprinkle of action and some more scenes designed to pull at my emotions. The song and dance is plentiful and quite good, with a slant towards music of the more classical variety. N.T.R. Jr. is fine in the lead role; he has lost a lot of weight since his last film "Rakhi" and I think I actually preferred his look when he was more on the chubby side. Actor Mohan Babu is solid a the God of Death. Priyamani is the likeable Cinderella-like heroine, appearing slightly more natural in physical appearance as opposed to the usual female leads in Indian films. Telugu film legend NTR (grandfather of our hero N.T.R. Jr.) also appears – even though he passed away a decade ago – in this film thanks to some "Forrest Gump"-like special-effects work. The film is big-budget and is technically impressive across the board, while the computer special-effects work is successful. Though my Telugu film viewing is rather limited, I'd rank "Yamadonga" up there with the best I've seen in this language, undoubtedly above those I've watched recently. Having just watched it, I should let it settle a bit, but it was an enjoyable viewing and it might be worthy of inclusion as Top 10 of 2007 material...maybe? I can't say it stirred me on an emotional level and as I mentioned it sort of flatlines in the final third, and the not particularly amusing comedy gets awful close to being (or maybe even is) overindulged. But I did enjoy a number of the songs, and the fantasy scenes and interactions between N.T.R. Jr. and Mohan Babu were solid, also the brief action scenes were effective especially considering that action was not the focus of the film. As far as Telugu cinema goes, I would call "Yamadonga" essential viewing.

I have watched "Halla Bol" which was okay and I'll try and expand on that tomorrow as well as a little more - but not of great signifance - talk in the SIVAJI thread.
Old 04-16-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FLIXTIME,
Should I order the Yamadonga DVD? (here's the link to the dvd http://www.bhavanidvd.com/product_in...oducts_id=1675)

You think I will like this? I do like to support the big-budget indian flicks when they do come out...but you did mention the annoying comedy, which is pretty unfunny and bad. Is the movie majority comedy? If the movie is majority special effects, action, entertaining, then I will consider buying it. But if the movie's majority is that stupid-ass Indian comedy, then I don't know...what do you say? I never seen a Telugu film, so I'm looking for a good rewatchable Telugu flick to buy on dvd...
Old 04-17-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey toddly, I'm not really sure if this one is for you. I was confident in recommending Shah Rukh Khan's DON, but this I can't say for sure. The tone of the film is generally comedy. While I didn't find it especially funny except in some instances, I can also say it did not really annoy me to a great degree nor was it too juvenile/crude/vulgar/immature. It was just that I wish there was less comedy and to kick of the final third of the film I was hoping for an action scene or some melodramatic conflict, or for the film to elevate to a higher level, instead of settling back down into fairly routine material. I actually did give thought during the film that this would be something I'd come here and recommend to you, but then, since the latter portion was less grand than I had expected I became uncertain.

Does that bhavani site you linked offer free shipping on the purchase...if not you can look at kaddvd (same price and free shipping). Since you haven't seen a Telugu film maybe it might be of interest from an educational perspective if nothing else, and the price really isn't bad (as compared to European imports, Korean/Japanese discs, and the like). Or just wait a couple of months and the price will likely come down.

Here are some youtube clips, maybe they might help you decide:
Yamadonga - first fight
Song set in fantasy realm- which features "Forrest Gump"-like effects and introduces senior NTR
Continuation of song set in the fantasy realm
Protagonist NTR Jr. and the God of Death scene in fantasy realm

I'd guess maybe a quarter of the film took place on the fantasy set shown above. Also the action is more limited and less grand than in SIVAJI. Besides a couple of bits and pieces you mainly get two action scenes early and then one at the climax, but you do go a long stretch in between without a big action scene, to compensate though the film moves to the fantasy realm during the middle portion of the film, before coming back to a standard setting for the last portion.

Also, I plan to watch a couple of more Telugu films in the coming weeks so if you want to wait and see if I stumble across anything better then that option is there too. As of now, I can't think of any other Telugu film that I'd be more confident in recommending to you.

If I can offer any more clarification, just ask and I'll try to help.
Old 04-19-08, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FLIXTIME, so how was Eklavya: The Royal Guard? I'm surprised this slipped by me since my favorite bollywood film is Mission Kashmir...from the trailers, Eklavya looks pretty polished.
Old 04-19-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched it more than nine months ago so it is not entirely fresh in mind. "Eklavya" was India's Oscar submission. As usual for India, it was not the correct choice. That honor should have gone to "Dharm".

As to "Eklavya", yes, as with most Bollywood A-list productions, it is a glossy and polished product. It is pretty to look at. I found it enjoyable enough but it had numerous small (inconsistent acting, not always logical, etc.) but significant issues which really took away from the experience as a whole. It could have been so much better if they had just tweaked a number of minor things. Unlike "Mission Kashmir", you will not find much action in "Eklavya". It is more in the mold of Shakespearean intrigue ("Omkara", China's "The Banquet", etc.). I might suggest you bypass "Eklavya" for now, and opt to wait for something like "Jodhaa Akbar" which could offer the same and more.
Old 04-22-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FLIXTIME,

I'm just curious...but do you know if Middle Eastern countries watch Indian Bollywood films and/or do those Middle Eastern countries make their own Bollywood-type films? And if so, what are the music scenes like? Belly dancing and arabic songs?
Old 04-23-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey toddly, I can't really offer much of an educated answer to your question. If I had to guess, I don't think - at least in the present - that other Middle Eastern countries make stuff comparable to Bollywood...or we would have heard about it I suppose. As to the question if they watch Bollywood, I don't know about nowadays...as I'd guess Hollywood films dominate in most places. But I think if we go back to the 1970's and such the answer might be yes. I have faint recollection over the years of speaking with people from the Middle East, Southeastern Europe, Russia (and ex-Soviet states), maybe even Africa (but I'm not certain) and their mentioning of films they used to watch and I think Bollywood stuff was mentioned. These conversations were before I actually got into foreign films so that is why I can't truly recall the discussions...because it wasn't an area of interest at the time...besides just making small talk with someone I might have run into. My local pizza guy is from Southeastern Europe and he did tell me that he used to watch a lot of Bollywood films in his younger days before he came to the U.S...again around the 1970's. Your spouse is Russian if I recall, probably too young to go back that far, but maybe she might remember her parents or someone maybe watching Bollywood stuff...that is if she is not American-born. I suppose when you think about it, Bollywood would play well in places as mentioned above...in those days maybe U.S. films were not as accepted maybe...and Bollywood films are very easy to follow even if you don't know the language. The song and dance transcends any language-barrier, colorful visuals, the plots are super simplistic...handsome guy=hero, pretty girl=heroine, darker-skinned ugly guy with moustache=villain, action scenes, some slapstick comedy, a happy ending, and there you have it...almost like watching a silent movie. I've noticed in some older Bollywood stuff they make it real simple...they tell you what is going to happen, they show it happening, and then they summarize what they've just shown....very tedious for viewers like me and you, but acceptable for reaching the masses I suppose.
Old 04-23-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Imsai Arasan 23rd Pulikesi (2006 - Tamil)
I enjoyed this movie a whole lot. It was produced by Shankar (better known for his work as a director - SIVAJI, ANNIYAN, etc.) If I had seen it back in 2006, it would have been Top 10 material for sure. Comedy found in Indian cinema generally doesn't work for me but this movie definitely put a grin on my face...silly, but you can't help but smile...very amusing. It is set in the late 1700's/early 1800's and tells the comic tale of twin baby boys born to a local king who are separated at birth by the king's evil counselor. The counselor keeps the weaker of the two babies so that he can manipulate him when the child grows older and thereby the counselor can be the real power in charge of the kingdom. The other baby is set adrift in a basket down the river...but is found by a local couple and raised to be courageous, honorable, just as a king should be. The other child grows to adulthood and becomes more a bumbling clown as king and as such also serves as a lapdog to the British who are trying to secure control of India. As you would guess, the two brothers eventually switch places. The first half was very funny. It's a comedy so don't expect great historical period accuracy...actually you get a lot of anachronisms as the British are peddling soda pop, sports jokes, and such. It really is funny as the bumbling king devises ways to settle communal clashes, prepares for battle, and the like. The second half turns slightly more serious but still has laughs to offer...and there is the message of having national pride (while also poking fun at national shortcomings). A scattering of brief actions are in the film, and not too much time is spent on romance. The five song and dance numbers are all very, very enjoyable and most definitely more old-school in style. The film has some unusual muted/filtered cinematography that I think was used to cover up the not top flight sets/costumes and also give it the air of an old 1970's Bollywood film (which I suppose this film also seeks to spoof)...but the odd lighting on the film does detract until you get used to it. The runtime was around two hours and twenty-two minutes if I remember right.
Old 04-25-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FLIXTIME, thanks for the middle eastern input....but in other news, I just bought and watched Eklavya The Royal Guard, and let me ask you this: did you even watch the film? This movie is a great film, regardless of it being indian or not...i'm gonna do a small review of this film.
Old 07-19-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally some more news in regard to Drona (which I first mentioned back in August of last year). The film is set to release on October 2nd. The first teaser trailer has just been released. As a reminder, this is a mega-budget Bollywood action/fantasy film starring Abhishek Bachchan and Priyanka Chopra. All the info. you need (trailer, movie poster, plot synopsis/outline, link to official site, etc.), can be found at the following link:

DRONA (2008) - blog with trailer
Old 07-25-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sarkar Raj (2008 - Hindi)
This is the sequel to SARKAR (2005). Sarkar was good for what it was aka a modest homage to the classic film THE GODFATHER. Ram Gopal Varma is back in the director's chair, along with stars Jr. and Sr. Bachchan, and the new addition of Mrs. Jr. Bachchan (aka Aishwarya Rai (Bachchan)). Director Varma has been on a lengthy and consisent downward spiral these last many years, and he stays true to form with this failed effort. On the scale of excellent-verygood-good-average-fair-poor, I label this as fair or maybe a 3.5/10. The runtime is only 2 hours and 5 minutes, and there isn't any song and dance (for those misguided souls who seem to think the future of Indian cinema lies in removing all singing and dancing). It actually took me two nights to get through this film because - in an act of self-preservation - I quit the first night after 53 minutes.

The film seems to be aiming for artsy Shakespearean drama or maybe some sort of grand opera. Unfortunately, it fails miserably and instead is plodding, repetitive, endlessly talky, dull, and entirely lacking in energy and forward momentum. The dialogue delivery from the cast is pretentious, overly serious, and the entire affair is heavy-handed. Characters strive for great seriousness in speaking s-l-o-w-l-y but there really isn't much in the vacuous script. The plot and character development is very weak for this film, and it never once grasped me as a viewer. I like Jr. Bachchan, but his strong suit is playing contemporary good guy roles where basically he just has to be himself. He is unconvincing as a heavy. As for Mrs. Jr., because of her new entry into the Bachchan clan, her role here is overblown and disproportionate to her importance to the proceedings. It really should have been a minor and even inconsequential part in the movie, but I suppose that would have been beneath her status, so a grander presence has been shoe-horned in to the goings-on.

Director Varma annoys by trying to inject life into rather stageplay material by constantly moving the camera. I found the camerawork in this film very off-putting as Varma gives a ceaseless stream of tilted angles...and the camera is always gliding...up then down, left then right, in then out, and everywhere else you can possibly manage to place a camera. He also showed a great fondness for setting up his frame for depth by having objects in the foreground, background, etc....characters out-of-focus in the foreground with another character in-focus in the background...this would have been rather commendable as opposed to the often flat framing utilized in Indian cinema, but here it was overused and just called too much attention to itself. The floating camerawork was overdone and succeeded only in preventing any type of immersement for me as a viewer. Instead of focusing on the characters, I was too aware of the attempt at technical wizardry in the cinematography.

Another issue is the overblown and instrusive background score. This is a fault I find often in Indian cinema; the fear of silence; the fear of letting the visuals tell the story. Many scenes needed to be low-key without the blaring score. I think part of the reason I quit the first night is that the combination of the camerawork and music just gave me a headache...in addition to being antsy because the film was dry and not going anywhere.

What else...I didn't bother to check but I think they actually got a character's name incorrect at least a couple of times. Jr. Bachchan is named Shankar in the film and his bodyguard is Chandar...but I think there were a couple of times that Chandar was referred to as Shankar, but I didn't have the patience to go back and check to be sure.

It wasn't a smart film...and towards the end you are given a Scooby-Doo type explanation of all the machinations of the plot. Another example is when Jr. Bachchan stages a raid on some heavily-armed bad guys. Now he too has access to heavy arms and a wealth of henchman but does he utilize them...no...he attacks with just two of his men and they beat up a few bad guys and take their weapons as opposed to heavily arming themselves beforehand. I also thought Jr. and Mrs. Jr did a poor job in disguising their offscreen relation as the body-language in their scenes together betrayed their real-life relationship. Given that Jr. is married to another character in the film, I found myself forgetting that fact and the film failed to develop the depth of his relationship with the woman who played his wife in the film. Also, Mrs. Jr. in the film plays a businesswoman working for her father. In one brief bit of dialogue in the second half, she speaks negatively of her relationship with her father, yet throughout the film she refers - even in business settings - to her father as "Dad" and in a tone that comes off as rather warm and affectionate.

Anyway, I think I've made it clear that I had numerous issues with the film and it is most decidedly not recommended. I find it perplexing that SARKAR RAJ received even decent reviews in some corners.

Aamir (2008 - Hindi)
Another recipient of positive buzz. The music was very good. I suppose it was a decent enough ride but it proves rather senseless when you reach the film's ultimate destination. It most certainly did not have had the budget on display in this film, but you'd be better off watching the Philippines/U.S. film CAVITE (2005) instead. CAVITE is the same story done better and smarter (despite the overlong scenes which bookend the film). The makers of AAMIR claim their's is an original work, but later bought the rights to CAVITE when learning of the similarities between the two films. Seeing the two films and knowing India's track record, I find it hard to accept that the makers of AAMIR were unaware of CAVITE beforehand.
Old 08-04-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FLIXTIME,
Do you think the DVD release of "Jodhaa Akbar" is pulling a "Night Watch?" Meaning, is the DVD release delayed possibly due to Hollywood buying the rights? I remember this happened with Russia's Night Watch, just being able to get my hands on an English-subtitled Russian DVD right before Hollywood bought the rights and prevented the selling of the English-subtitled Russian DVD...
Old 08-04-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey toddly, though I've already seen the film, I too am getting a little impatient for the DVD release. It seems that many of the high-profile Bollywood releases of late are taking a little longer to reach DVD. I expect it is simply due to the films enjoying some extended shelf-life in theatrical release. Besides, given the mass market desire for over-caffeinated cinema, I'd be surprised to hear that Hollywood has any interest in something as old-fashioned as JODHAA AKBAR. And my use of the term "old-fashioned" is in no way meant as a slap at the film, actually I feel quite the opposite as I enjoyed the movie a great deal. But, by contemporary standards, it is definitely a throwback to the era of films like EL CID and the like. I'm fully expecting the DVD release to come sometime in the coming couple of weeks, without any more delays...I hope.

I've been passing the time with all the clips on youtube, including this moving romantic ballad:
JODHAA AKBAR - romantic ballad on youtube

And this spiritual ballad, if my recall is on target (and it might not be since I saw the movie so long back), this is the first song in the film and is really when the film starts to click (about a half hour in):
JODHAA AKBAR - spiritual song on youtube

And, not a song, but a scene of lead actor Hrithik Roshan "playing" with an elephant:
JODHAA AKBAR - elephant scene
Old 08-15-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FLIXTIME,
what does your crystal ball (or inside information) say about the DVD release of Dasavatharam? Any news yet?
Old 08-15-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Going by nothing else but the track record of Tamil/Telugu cinema making it to English-friendly DVD, I wouldn't expect DASAVATHARAM any time soon. If I recall it was released to theaters in June so I expect at least a six month wait from that time until it reaches English-friendly DVD.

It'd be nice if Indian regional cinema got with the program and came out English-friendly on a timely basis as is the case with Hindi/Bollywood stuff. If I remember right, I think DASAVATHARAM was the first ever South Indian film to come out with English subs when it played in theaters in the U.S./Canada/U.K..
Old 08-20-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Singh Is Kinng (2008 – Hindi (Bollywood))
A comic/action film which appears to be sourced from Jackie Chan's MIRACLES (which itself was spun from Capra's POCKETFUL OF MIRACLES). The film stars box office heavyweight Akshay Kumar, and he scores again here as the film is a big hit in India. This effort is a fine display of filmmaking…incompetence that is, filmmaking incompetence. I had planned to avoid this film but was in the mood for something not too taxing on the mind…be careful what you wish for. The film is 2 hours and 15 minutes or so of nothingness…without even the decency to offer a so bad it's good type of enjoyment. The basic concept of the film, with Akshay Kumar as a village simpleton who soon finds himself at the head of an Australian-based, Indian crime syndicate should have made for great fun. There was much potential for Akshay Kumar to give viewers an easy to root for character like Hrithik Roshan did with KOI MIL GAYA, but instead he sleepwalks through the role…or perhaps he underwent a lobotomy prior to filming. Except for one of the romantic ballads and some decent work by the reliable Kiron Kher and maybe a couple of the supporting players (not lead actress Katrina Kaif), the rest of the film is a waste…the typical lousy action scenes, amateurishly executed comedy…with no sense of comic timing…and sort of a sub first-take quality, poor song and dance, dull story and characters, etc.,…basically little evidence of any artistic or technical prowess in making movies. A very large portion of the film takes place in Australia with a prior stop in Egypt, actually the whole thing could have just been set in India, but then that wouldn't have afforded the opportunity for financial money-laundering by shooting internationally. Actually I should stop now as this film isn't even worth one of my emotional rants. And before I forget, American rapper Snoop Dogg appears in the film during the end credits where he delivers the closing tune. Anyway, SINGH IS KINNG, as mentioned earlier, is a box office hit in India…the country has a population of over a billion, even if we attribute the success to the residents of the northern half of India…that is still more than enough to make me fear for the fate of mankind.

And on an even more jawdropping note, the prestigious (and upcoming) Toronto International Film Festival is screening SINGH IS KINNG as one of its Gala Presentations…good lord, someone contact the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) to investigate a possible case of international blackmail…though they exhibited KANK last year…or maybe there was a group discount on lobotomies. Needless to say - but I'll say it anyway - SINGH IS KINNG is now a leading candidate for my worst movie watching experiences of 2008.

As to other matters, there has been a lot of buzz and excitement in regard to all the recent crossover deals between Bollywood and Hollywood. Hollywood wants a cut of the lucrative Indian market, one of the last remaining outposts where local cinema still thoroughly dominates the box office, and Bollywood gets to have their over-sized egos even further inflated…it's all about the money. I for one think it will do nothing but provide a platform to bring together the worst from both industries…we shall see.
Old 08-20-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FLIXTIME,
the best combo would be all Indian actors with Hollywood crew (Director, Writer, Editor, Cinematographer)
Old 08-20-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime
Singh Is Kinng (2008 – Hindi (Bollywood))
A comic/action film which appears to be sourced from Jackie Chan's MIRACLES (which itself was spun from Capra's POCKETFUL OF MIRACLES). The film stars box office heavyweight Akshay Kumar, and he scores again here as the film is a big hit in India. This effort is a fine display of filmmaking…incompetence that is, filmmaking incompetence. I had planned to avoid this film but was in the mood for something not too taxing on the mind…be careful what you wish for. The film is 2 hours and 15 minutes or so of nothingness…without even the decency to offer a so bad it's good type of enjoyment. The basic concept of the film, with Akshay Kumar as a village simpleton who soon finds himself at the head of an Australian-based, Indian crime syndicate should have made for great fun. There was much potential for Akshay Kumar to give viewers an easy to root for character like Hrithik Roshan did with KOI MIL GAYA, but instead he sleepwalks through the role…or perhaps he underwent a lobotomy prior to filming. Except for one of the romantic ballads and some decent work by the reliable Kiron Kher and maybe a couple of the supporting players (not lead actress Katrina Kaif), the rest of the film is a waste…the typical lousy action scenes, amateurishly executed comedy…with no sense of comic timing…and sort of a sub first-take quality, poor song and dance, dull story and characters, etc.,…basically little evidence of any artistic or technical prowess in making movies. A very large portion of the film takes place in Australia with a prior stop in Egypt, actually the whole thing could have just been set in India, but then that wouldn't have afforded the opportunity for financial money-laundering by shooting internationally. Actually I should stop now as this film isn't even worth one of my emotional rants. And before I forget, American rapper Snoop Dogg appears in the film during the end credits where he delivers the closing tune. Anyway, SINGH IS KINNG, as mentioned earlier, is a box office hit in India…the country has a population of over a billion, even if we attribute the success to the residents of the northern half of India…that is still more than enough to make me fear for the fate of mankind.

And on an even more jawdropping note, the prestigious (and upcoming) Toronto International Film Festival is screening SINGH IS KINNG as one of its Gala Presentations…good lord, someone contact the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) to investigate a possible case of international blackmail…though they exhibited KANK last year…or maybe there was a group discount on lobotomies. Needless to say - but I'll say it anyway - SINGH IS KINNG is now a leading candidate for my worst movie watching experiences of 2008.

As to other matters, there has been a lot of buzz and excitement in regard to all the recent crossover deals between Bollywood and Hollywood. Hollywood wants a cut of the lucrative Indian market, one of the last remaining outposts where local cinema still thoroughly dominates the box office, and Bollywood gets to have their over-sized egos even further inflated…it's all about the money. I for one think it will do nothing but provide a platform to bring together the worst from both industries…we shall see.
lol. just had to laugh about this. that bad huh? I'm sure toddly will love it.
Old 08-20-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BuddhaWake,
I'm very selective with my Bollywood flicks now. I've only bought about six Bollywood DVDs this year and 4 of those films were excellent. Usually in the past, I would buy maybe twelve Bollywood DVDs per year and all of them would suck.

Eventhough I'm excited to see Akshay Kumar's "Chandni Chowk to China", I avoid Akshay Kumar movies like the plague - he's a pretty annoying and bad actor. So I don't think I'm going to check out Singh Is Kinng. I also usually don't like movies involving retards or crime syndicates/mafia and now this film seems like a combination of the two...
Old 08-20-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd like to expand on my earlier mentioning of SINGH IS KINNG playing at this year's Toronto International Film Festival. From what I gather Toronto has a large population of Indian ethnicity, and I expect a large portion of that Indian community is comprised of Punjabi Sikhs (Punjab=Indian state, Sikh=religion). The main character in SINGH IS KINNG is a Punjabi Sikh, so the fact that this film is screening at the festival is likely a matter of festival officials kowtowing to the local community.

On the subject of Punjabi Sikhs in Canada, this community has - and it might be surprising to learn - existed in Canada for over 100 years, with the city of Vancouver being the first point of entry. This makes me recall a fascinating true crime murder in relation to Punjabi Sikhs in Vancouver. It is quite a disturbing story and would make for a provocative Indian-produced major motion picture...though I expect it will never happen for fear of getting the Indira Gandhi (assassination) treatment (aka learning what it would be like to be Salman Rushdie, and having to go into hiding). I'll link an article for those interested in reading more, and from my very hazy recollection, I think the state attorney general at the time in British Columbia was also Punjabi Sikh, so that too might have played a role in the apparently guilty parties being allowed to roam free. Here's some general info. on the murder case, it is a very sad story:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/murderedbride/
Old 08-20-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

a few years ago there was a documentary showned during the philly film fest about some sikhs that came to canada (vancouver) but weren't allowed in so they stayed in a boat waiting, and waiting and waiting while the government had to come up with all crazy ideas to try to stop them from getting off the boat even though they were british subjects as well. ultimately they passed a law that no british subject could go from a possession/colony to another possession's port before desembarking. it so happened that the sikhs had gone from india to china (HK) to canada but this wasn't allowed, they were supposed to go straight from india to the home country to then go to canada. i can't remember much else but it was a pretty solid doc.
Old 08-22-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Contract (2008 - Hindi (Bollywood))
This gangster (also part terrorist-themed) movie is the second (following SARKAR RAJ) of three directorial efforts slated from director Ram Gopal Varma for this year (the third is an upcoming horror film PHOONK). If you are looking for another SATYA or COMPANY, you won't find it here. In fairness, I don't think it was meant to be that ambitious as this is more in line with lower budgeted fair like the Varma-produced crime film - D - from a few years ago. The runtime is just a couple of minutes over two hours, and the film also has a fairly solid item number song/dance. The cast is primarily newcomers. There really isn't anything new in this film, and a number of the scenes felt very familiar as if copied directly from some other film(s) I've seen (but I don't recall which one). That being said, it was still a rather decent viewing that held my interest and had a solid finish. If you are part of the niche which appreciates these sort of Indian crime films, and if you can accept this movie for what it was - sort of a B-movie genre effort - then certainly consider it for viewing. I'll likely add the DVD to my collection once the price comes down. In regard to director Varma, perhaps this is his future, churning out a steady supply of B-movie genre/cult fair...and that might not be such a bad thing at all.

As to other matters, for those who might not be aware, the DVD for JODHAA AKBAR was just released. On the surface it seems to be somewhat bargain-priced at around 15.xx from indiaweekly or $16 from nehaflix (if you pick up a couple of other items from nehaflix to get your order over $30, then you can get free shipping, so JODHAA AKBAR can then be had for $12). Following is a link to an overview/press release? for the 3-disc DVD release (I assume the DVD is the same for India/UK/US/Canada, etc.):

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/movi...618/index.html

Based on the plentiful deleted scenes, and also given that the article references the possibility of a future double-dip, I wonder if this film is a candidate for an extended cut DVD sometime down the road.

For the undecided, there are plentiful clips to be found on youtube for the film. As I've mentioned it is not a war film, with battle scenes serving only as bookends to the film. It is much more a romance mixed with royal court intrigue. I thought the song and dance was excellent. There is also a wealth of eye-candy (not unusual for Indian cinema) from the costumes, old fortresses, etc., without be too gaudy like the recent DEVDAS. The thing that also made it for me is that I really grew to care for the main characters played by Hrithink Roshan and Aishwarya Rai. Some of the villainy in the film is over-the-top, and the film isn't really anything new under the sun, but otherwise it was a very satisfying three and a half hour experience.
Old 08-22-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Flixtime,
I picked up the Jodhaa Akbar and Love Story 2050 dvds today in Little India...for 20 bucks each...i'm pretty psyched to see Jodhaa Akbar and will post a review as soon as I get through the whole dvd...

EDIT:

FLIXTIME,
Fucking UTV assholes fucked up the JODHAA AKBAR DVD - it's widescreen interlanced, non-anamorphic. What stupid shit-heads. It's even listed as anamorphic on the back of the DVD cover. It takes them half a year to release this DVD and they mess this up....Flixtime, any word on the UK DVD releases of this movie being different from the NTSC ALL-REGION version>

Last edited by toddly6666; 08-22-08 at 07:08 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.