Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

2DVD Nightwatch (aka Nochnoi Dozor) - UK

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick note that Nochnoi Dozor has been set to be released on April 24 in the United Kingdom. Spread over two discs and offering a slip-in, steel-book case...extras TBA!!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-19-06, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can be pre-ordered at Play.com £13.99
Old 01-19-06, 08:21 AM

To all "NightWatch" fans...

A friend of mine who just returned from Moscow, where he stayed over the holidays, said the makers of the film released a new version (the "Goblin" version, is what he said), with different scenes and changed soundtrack, to the point in which parts of the plot are now totally different... and of course, "Daywatch" is being theatrically released now, in January...
Old 01-19-06, 08:32 AM

Anyone else getting any feedback on Nightwatch 2? I'm hearing it's more of a comedy? WTF is up with that?
Old 01-19-06, 09:39 AM

conflicting date, february 20th at amazon.co.uk...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...673613-0725517
Old 01-19-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure if this worth the dble dip for me...I have the Russian version and the movie was good at times, but at other times all over the place. The new version sounds interesting and may check that out when available and will probably check out Day Watch when available.
Old 01-19-06, 11:59 AM

I know Fox was supposed to be the ones releasing this here in the States, did they do theatrical release over there and is this a Fox release? Main reason I ask is because they were supposed to have done this new technique with subtitles. Anyone see the movie when it played in the UK fill me in?
Old 01-19-06, 01:09 PM

You're right actually. These subtitles were supposed to be "revolutionary". I wonder if they won't try something like Survive Style 5+. There was a portion of that film that used subtitles in a manner I have never seen before. They managed to place the subtitles right were the action was, but without ruining the shot. Like if the action was top left, that's where the subtitles were. Bottom right = Bottom right...hell, even diagonal. It was really impressive.
Old 01-19-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PLAYITAGAINSAM,

In Russia, "Goblin" refers to a famous soundtrack dubbing guy that dubs foreign movies. This "Goblin" soundtrack features this one guy who dubs all the dialogue, including the actresses. At first, in the 90s, this was how dubbed Russian movies were. But now in 2006, this type of movie soundtrack dubbing is infamous and has a cult following. The current "Goblin" dubbed sountracks are basically joke soundtracks. Many current foreign bootleg DVDs released in Russia get an original soundtrack, a good Russian dubbing (with many different actors and actresses), and also the infamous "Goblin" joke soundtrack. I have the Two Towers Russian "Goblin" DVD and it is funny as hell. The Goblin sountrack turns a movie into a Monty Python movie...I have seen the Night Watch "Goblin" sold in Russian DVD stores, but I haven't bought it yet.

The main thing is that the "Goblin" version is not a different cut of a film - it's a joke version.
Old 01-19-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by D.Zero
I know Fox was supposed to be the ones releasing this here in the States, did they do theatrical release over there and is this a Fox release? Main reason I ask is because they were supposed to have done this new technique with subtitles. Anyone see the movie when it played in the UK fill me in?
If you click on the "more technical details" link on the Amazon link posted above, it says that it's a Fox release.
Old 01-20-06, 08:41 AM

toddly6666,

Thanks. I was about to bring in a copy of this Goblin Nightwatch, but if it's just a joke I won't bother
Old 01-20-06, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SPLATTI,

Well, it's still funny to check the Goblin DVDs out, but only if you speak Russian. I only understand some Russian - my wife is Russian and she translated The Two Towers "goblin" DVD to me. Besides it having a comedy dubbing, the music changed at parts too, such as replacing the score with the Star Wars theme song at the beginning and a Led Zeppelin song played when gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn are just running across the land. The tampering with the soundtrack thing is the only funny thing that a non-Russian speaking person can find funny in it.

But other than that most of the Russian "Goblin" DVDs still have the original language and English subtitles if the original DVD has them. If you wanna play it safe, just pick up the original copy!
Old 01-20-06, 02:49 PM

At first, in the 90s, this was how dubbed Russian movies were. But now in 2006, this type of movie soundtrack dubbing is infamous and has a cult following.
In Poland, this is still how the dubbing is done. In fact, they don't even bother to get rid of the original language track, so the dubber actually just talks on top of the original soundtrack.
Old 03-24-06, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

cover art:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60931

Pro-b
Old 03-24-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Oooo. This looks good. Think Region 1 will get this 2 Discer later on down the road?
Old 03-24-06, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
ive plumped for this now, the UK 2-disc in the tin. it doesnt help that they dont put running times in the press releases that DVDtimes then reproduce, because the descriptions of the cuts / versions arent exactly clear - looking at the BBFC website though, i see they certified both the original 114 (or thereabouts) version and the 109 minute version, and the descriptions here at DVDtimes today suggest thats exactly what we get - with one version also holding the option of being viewed as a dub. theres enought interesting extras, but apart from the apparent correct cut of the film, its the bound-to-be-better subtitles and hopefully a spot-on transfer in a nice tin that suggests theyve dont something decent with this release. suspect this is then what the USA may also get sometime down the line...
Old 03-24-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the Tin edition is exclusive is to HMV
Old 03-24-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm...Looks nice. I may revisit this one, but I am not sure if its worth the double dip.
Old 03-24-06, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The features do look enticing. I wonder if it'll be the same in R1?