Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Fritz the Cat Special Edition

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Fritz the Cat Special Edition

Old 01-17-06, 04:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Fritz the Cat Collection

For you Ralph Bakshi fans out there, there will be a new DVD of "Fritz the Cat," America's first feature-length X-rated cartoon, being released in the UK.

From http://www.ralphbakshi.com/home.php:

Arrow Films Releasing New Fritz DVD in UK

Arrow Films will be re-releasing a DVD of Fritz the Cat with a great interview included with Bakshi that was shot today. Some fantastic stories - and a few honest answers to some serious questions bouncing around for a while now. We'll let you know when it's out.

30 Nov 2005 by Victoria
I just emailed Arrow Films and they confirmed that it will be a Region 0 disc. So, if you're in North America, and your player is PAL-compatible, you'll be able to view this new disc. I'm glad that they're giving this classic animated film good treatment, at least in the United Kingdom. Here in America, MGM gave it the rushed treatment: the only extra on our Region 1 "Avant-Garde Cinema" DVD was the trailer.

It has been released on March 27. It is titled "The Fritz the Cat Collection," and also features the film's 1974 sequel (which Bakshi had nothing to do with), which was directed by Robert Taylor.

Last edited by thing-fish24; 03-27-06 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-17-06, 09:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
too bad there's not a full length commentary - like Bakshi had done for the 'Wizards' DVD.
Old 03-27-06, 08:48 PM
Banned

Now available.
Old 03-27-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Any chance of a r1 release?
Old 03-27-06, 09:17 PM
Banned

Unfortunately, no. But here's what Gary and Alex from Arrow Films had to say about the DVD:

Hi Isaac

That is correct- the new DVD will be a region 0, universally accepted

We'll be releasing the film in April ( probably in a double pack with Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat)

Best regards

Alex
Hi Issac,

Thanks for your mail.

We will be re-releasing this film along with Nine Lives of Fritz the Cat in a box set here in the UK. I am pretty sure that this title will be region 0, however please remember that all our DVDs are PAL and not NTSC. Therefore you will need equipment capable of accepting a PAL signal, failing that use a Computer or Laptop.

Thanks,

Gary
So, if your computer plays PAL-format discs, you'll be able to play this new release just fine.
Old 03-27-06, 10:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
A tad off topic here: but I just recently found out my little DVD player hooked up to the TV downstairs plays Region 0 PAL discs - cool beans.
Old 04-24-06, 01:53 PM
Banned

So......

Has anyone checked this out yet? Is it any good?
Old 04-26-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Short review up here:
http://www.therewindforums.co.uk/for...ic.php?t=15736

I don't know. They say the picture isn't all that great on either film. OAR on the first one is said to be 4:3, but it is 16:9 on the US version and spoken of highly. You can buy both Fritz movies here in the US for cheaper than this box. Only one featurette on the third disc in the UK set.
Old 04-30-06, 11:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dullboy
OAR on the first one is said to be 4:3, but it is 16:9 on the US version and spoken of highly.
I believe the film was shot in open-matte format, in which case the fullscreen version is the original version.