Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Canadians! Can we please FIREBOMB these %$#@ Quebec-based DVD studios?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

Some of you may remember a previous rant of mine concerning the subpar quality of Canadian-made DVDs...

I just got from the library two discs which are absolutely LOATHSOME...

The first offender is "Withnail and I", made by Seville... Not only is the picture in Pan and Scan (and not advertised as such on the cover!), but it's also grainy, washed up and yellow-tinted.

The other one is "Life is a Miracle", by Emir Kusturica, brought out by Christal Films, which only has French audio... now, I speak French (of the European variety), but for the life of me, I cannot understand almost half of what's being said in the movie ... of course, no subtitles of any kind.

Can we do something about these crappy editions? I don't know... firebomb the bastards, send them anthrax in the mail or something... In this day and age, having such bad DVDs is an insult to movie lovers.

I strongly suspect there are some stupid politics involved, considering that these two offenders are both based in Quebec... for 7 million Quebecers, why do the rest of 23 million Canadians have to suffer ???? I feel bad enough to have to put up with stupid bilingual covers, without having to withstand sh!tty French-dubbed transfers (without any type of subtitles!)

End of rant!
Old 01-14-06, 12:49 AM

Yeah, I was really disappointed by the LIFE IS A MIRACLE dvd, no original audio, no english subs.... glad I didn't buy it. Sad though considering it's not available in R1-land.
Old 01-14-06, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Artificial Eye 2DVD set is a port of the French 2DVD and it looks great (regardless of what some sites claim).

Pro-B
Old 01-15-06, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Playitagainsam
I strongly suspect there are some stupid politics involved, considering that these two offenders are both based in Quebec... for 7 million Quebecers, why do the rest of 23 million Canadians have to suffer ???? I feel bad enough to have to put up with stupid bilingual covers, without having to withstand sh!tty French-dubbed transfers (without any type of subtitles!)
Yeah that's it, this is obviously a conspiracy to further oppress english speaking Canadians. You should call Amnesty International immediately...
Old 01-15-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
now, I speak French (of the European variety), but for the life of me, I cannot understand almost half of what's being said in the movie
Isn't there some differences between French spoken in Quebec compared to France? I'm far from an expert in the language (I probably know as little French as a Canadian can get away with ), but maybe that's one of your problems in this case?
Old 01-15-06, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

now, I speak French (of the European variety), but for the life of me, I cannot understand almost half of what's being said in the movie ... of course, no subtitles of any kind.
I wouldnt worry, I have many friends from France and they can barely understand quebec french (or redneck french as it seems to be called in france)
Old 01-15-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Yeah, and I suppose that American english is "redneck english" to the Brits.