Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sha Po Lang DVD 1/12/2006

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been waiting for this for awhile now.

http://www4.cd-wow.com.hk/detail_res...ct_code=260491

According to Yesasia the release is 1/11

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept...ideos/did-106/

Does anyone know if this is really the uncut version because I've read elsewhere that it's running time is 97 min. and not 94 min.

http://www.shapolangthemovie.com/
Old 01-06-06, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrhan
Does anyone know if this is really the uncut version because I've read elsewhere that it's running time is 97 min. and not 94 min.
I guess we can't know for certain until it comes out but I'd say it is a very safe bet that this is going to be uncut as advertised. The cuts were for the mainland China run of the film. Since this is the Hong Kong DVD release we should be safe. I recall reading - probably Twitch - that the 2nd DVD release of the mainland China DVD was uncut so I don't see any reason why the Hong Kong release wouldn't be uncut. I'm confident enough that I've already pre-ordered it.

As an aside, I've been critical of Indian cinema on a number of occassions in this forum, but if I don't see something special out of "Sha Po Lang" or "Election" (haven't watched my copy yet), Hong Kong is going to be my new doormat for International cinema.
Old 01-06-06, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think flixtime is right. Altough there are runmblings that the real run-time is 97 minutes, most are saying this is the uncut version. According to other forums, the uncut version from china also ran at 94 minutes.

I've just pre-ordered this along with Dragon Squad. I haven't been enjoying Hong Kong cinema as much lately, so hopefully SPL will re-capture the "magic" from the golden years.
Old 01-06-06, 08:45 AM

flixtime; Unfortunatly I have the mainland version of SPL. I am responding because you're fear is currently my experiece. I actually just told my friend yesterday that after seeing SPL and Election, I've lost hope in HK film for the time being.

SPL was a bad film in my eyes. I want to say it's on par with Ong Bak in terms of the story and script (near the bottom of the barrel), but at least Ong Bak had some amazing stunts. SPL had some neat fights, but nothing to excuse the story, and IMO nothing on par with Ong Bak either! Even if I happened to have seen the "cut version" (I beleive I have), I refuse to beleive 10 minutes could save this film. I beleive this film is in the same category as Ong Bak. You'll have people giving it a 9/10 or 10/10 just for the action, and then you'll have people giving it a 4 or 5/10 because there is no story .

Election? My friend and I both purchased it blindly, and we both picked up the 2-disc set. Mine will never be opened. Some people have suggested that since I don't live in China, I may not understand some of the points in the film. This could be possible, but I've seen Korean and Japanese film in which I was told something similar, but still had a positive experience. I hope you have a better time then I did with these two.
Old 01-06-06, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by splattii
Election? My friend and I both purchased it blindly, and we both picked up the 2-disc set. Mine will never be opened. Some people have suggested that since I don't live in China, I may not understand some of the points in the film. This could be possible, but I've seen Korean and Japanese film in which I was told something similar, but still had a positive experience. I hope you have a better time then I did with these two.
surely this would be true for any film from another culture? you cant entirely understand it (at least potentially, almost certainly though), because you dont live within the culture... fine : a bit more positively, you could watch it (because you have it) and see for yourself just how much you do understand...
Old 01-06-06, 12:09 PM

logboy;

I realize I didn't really word my message correctly. I watch Election at my friend's house, so his copy was opened and mine stayed sealed. I was eluding to the fact I wouldn't have to open mine to see it again, as it doesn't warrent IMO a repeat viewing. Reading my message back, I wasn't that clear. lol.
Old 01-06-06, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by splattii
logboy;

I realize I didn't really word my message correctly. I watch Election at my friend's house, so his copy was opened and mine stayed sealed. I was eluding to the fact I wouldn't have to open mine to see it again, as it doesn't warrent IMO a repeat viewing. Reading my message back, I wasn't that clear. lol.
thats cool. i dont know if / when i would rewatch it either : perhaps the longer cut, as i think it would be better when left to evolve as some of the more extended scenes suggest. mind you, always new things coming along isnt there...?!
Old 01-06-06, 02:30 PM

I've heard similar things about Election and thats why I've held off on it. I do have SPL on order and do hope its better than u say, there have been some glowing reviews of it but they also admit the story isn't that great, its all about the fights (which take up the latter part of the movie). If the story is that lame then the fights couldn't possibly save it for me, just like I don't like the new Star Wars at all (and do not even use them as demo discs, the sfx don't impress me none either). but heres to hoping SPL turns out to be an enjoyable experience.
Old 01-08-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a blind buy for me and for $11.95 inc. shipping from CDwow using the links I found here; I couldn't resist.
Old 01-08-06, 06:08 PM

How'd you get it for $11.95 ($4 below regular price) at CDwow?
Old 01-08-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vision of Love
How'd you get it for $11.95 ($4 below regular price) at CDwow?
I used this link here which already gives a discount price of $13.95:

http://www3.cd-wow.us/index.php?affid=14275&pp_nr=1

I then put the DVD in my cart.

Then I opened up a new window and went to the coupon section here for another $2 off coupon which was sent to my email:

http://www7.cd-wow.us/promotion_2.ph..._1&affid=15405

It says in the e-mail they send you; you can only use the $2 off coupon through the link provided with the coupon, but I cut and pasted it onto my original order and it gave me a total of $4 off the regular price.

Last edited by mrhan; 01-08-06 at 09:02 PM.