DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Lars von Trier titles(?) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/448994-lars-von-trier-titles.html)

Tek 12-16-05 08:46 AM

Lars von Trier titles(?)

I'm bettin' "bassoonist", or the rest of you kind folk, will bail me out here :)

I'm searching for a reasonable & reliable E-tailer from which to acquire certain of the Lars works, in their entirity (uncut).

I guess "Kingdom-series One" isn't a problem, but, in particular... "Breaking the Waves" and "Dancer In The Dark" have been recommended to me, with the cavaet to shop carefully, so not to wind up with so-called "uncut" volumes which in fact are missing considerable footage.

It appears, for instance, that the majority of the "*Waves" releases I've turned are listed as having slight to substansial running-time descrepency(?).

Anyway... any help or info is greatly appreciated... :)

TIA..

Richard Malloy 12-16-05 09:52 AM

I like the Danish discs best, with the exception of the R1 New Line Platinum edition of "Dancer in the Dark". Specifically, I recommend the 2-disc "Breaking the Waves" (uncut and with the original tunes), 2-disc "Dogville", Riget I and Riget II (available only separately now, but a great price), and the 4-disc "Europa Trilogy". Re the latter, some sites claim that the booklet is only in Danish, and therefore get the UK edition instead, but the booklet I rec'd in the Danish set has English text.

I've not seen the Danish "Manderley" disc, nor the "Dogme" boxset (which includes "Idioterne"), but I can vouch for the other Danish editions listed above.

Go here for ordering:
http://www.laserdisken.dk/html/searc...r&sogalle=true

For assistance in ordering from Denmark:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416954

Richard Malloy 12-16-05 10:03 AM

One more thing re "The Element of Crime".

Arguably the Criterion edition is superior. I have both and have compared.

Audio: The 1.0 mono audio on the Criterion is easily better than the comparitively muddy 2.0 track on the Danish disc in the "Europa Trilogy" boxset. No question here. Criterion is the obvious winner.

Video: A tougher call. I believe the Danish disc comes from a better element (the camera negative, I believe), but the best parts of the Criterion disc reveal much more detail. Unfortunately, other parts of the Criterion disc do not come off as well -- probably due to the fact that it's from a print -- even though on balance the clarity and sharpness of detail goes to Criterion. On the other hand, I sorta prefer the more contrasty look of the Danish disc, as well as the color correction. I think it's a fool's errand to attempt to ascertain which comes closest to Lars' intent, but I find that I slightly prefer the Danish disc. For example, the sequence where Fisher is floating down the river tossing police reports aside looks far better on the Danish disc to me, where the contrasty look is really quite striking. That sequence never had as much impact for me on the Criterion disc.

And, besides, the Danish boxset has the only available version of "Europa/Zentropa" that I'm aware of, and the extras are voluminous and very well-produced. Also, I've not compared the Danish "Epidemic" to the US R1 release.

Bleddyn Williams 12-16-05 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
...the 4-disc "Europa Trilogy". Re the latter, some sites claim that the booklet is only in Danish, and therefore get the UK edition instead, but the booklet I rec'd in the Danish set has English text.

Interesting! CDwow has the Danish set for $38. I would have bit at that price, but then thought if I was going to spend that money, it might be best to wait for a set where I could enjoy all of it - ie the UK Tartan edition.

Rich, did your booklet have English and Danish? That would make sense. If its only in english, it almost sounds like a mistake (a happy one!)

Richard Malloy 12-16-05 11:47 AM

Bleddyn, I was trying to recall if it was both English/Danish before posting above, but I can't remember (at work now). For some reason, I want to say it's all-English... but that doesn't make much sense, does it?

On the other hand, Laserdisken clearly knows I'm an English language customer. Right after ordering/registering, I received an email from Laserdisken welcoming me as a customer and assisting me in navigating the site as an English-only speaker. They even including a list of English-friendly DVDs. It's at least possible that this vendor distinguishes English consumers and sent me a set with the English-language booklet.

Or maybe the booklet is in both English and Danish! I'll check tonight and report back ASAP.

Bleddyn Williams 12-16-05 12:35 PM

I'd appreciate that Rich. I too have bought Von Trier from Laserdisken in the past and found them most helpful to their english-speaking customers. I emailed them to ask about this, but have no reply yet. However my spam filters are pretty hard and I won't know if they've replied till I get home.

pro-bassoonist 12-16-05 01:02 PM

All of the info above appears correct, the Danish "Breaking the Waves" is superb. I am only gong to add that if you also want to get the best Riget set I recommend that you wait until March when the UK is getting an exact replica of the now OOP Danish 4DVD set.

Ciao,
Pro-B

Mark_vdH 12-16-05 01:32 PM

One little thing: The seperate Kingdom releases are actually a tiny bit better than the 4 disc set: there were a few annoying subtitle glitches (at least on my player) and these have been corrected.

Tek 12-16-05 01:35 PM

Thank you so much, folks.
Very helpful, as I knew you would be. :)

BTW: Any opinions on "Manderlay" as yet?
It appears it could be a very powerful (possibly controversial) film.

bjackson 12-16-05 01:40 PM

I've purchased the Danish releases of "Breaking the Waves," "Dogville," "Dancer in the Dark," and "Manderlay" from Laserdisken. I couldn't be happier with the service.

reefa 12-16-05 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by bjackson
I've purchased the Danish releases of "Breaking the Waves," "Dogville," "Dancer in the Dark," and "Manderlay" from Laserdisken. I couldn't be happier with the service.

What/how are the extras on Manderlay?

wildeny 12-16-05 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by reefa
What/how are the extras on Manderlay?

Copied from DVD Beaver's review & snaphots
It's English-friendly.

Edition Details:
• Audio commentary by Lars von Trier and Anthony Dod Mantle
• Bryce Dallas Howard (5:40 / 16x9)
• Isaach de Bankolé (4:45 / 16x9)
• Danny Glover (4:53 / 16x9)
• Willem Dafoe (5:52 / 16x9)
• Danish Trailer (1:51 / 16x9)
• DISC 2
• Documentaries (1:23:58 / 4:3)
• Featurettes (22:25 / 16x9)
• Cannes - Scandinavian Press Conference (47:53 / 16x9)
• Interviews (1:18:23 / 16x9)

Richard Malloy 12-19-05 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
Rich, did your booklet have English and Danish? That would make sense. If its only in english, it almost sounds like a mistake (a happy one!)

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but I did confirm that my Danish Electric Parc "Hypnotic Edition" of LvT's Europa Trilogy came with an English-only booklet. No Danish text whatsoever. No indication that the booklet was slipped in from a different source. The only distinguishing number/mark on the booklet is the same "00004" that appears on each of the discs.

Again, Laserdisken clearly knew that I was an English speaking customer, so I don't know whether that had anything to do with it. I was very pleasantly surprised when I received it... am I the only English-speaking customer to have bought it? Did anyone else get an English-only booklet? Of, for that matter, a Danish booklet?

Bleddyn Williams 12-19-05 01:35 PM

Thanks Rich. How strange - right now I can't think of any good explanation for this. Unlike before, Laserdisken haven't responded to my email yet (last time it took them about 30 minutes!)

Hopefully someone else with this set might pipe up. Very close to just ordering the thing, though! :)

Mark_vdH 12-23-05 01:00 PM

I also ordered the Europa Trilogy from Laserdisken, and the (=my) booklet is indeed in English and only English.

wildeny 01-13-06 08:18 PM

Riget I & II in CD-WOW are cheaper than in laserdisken: $13.95 or £7.99 for each, especially considering the free shipping.
I'm tempted to buy them. Before doing that, I wonder whether there is any further information about the UK 4-disc set.

Deke Rivers 04-10-07 11:37 AM

Is the old 4 disc set containing bith Riget I & II worth much now that its out of print??

animatedude 04-10-07 12:36 PM

i dunno about the danish release but the UK release by Tartan has been listed over play.com for centuries...it keeps getting delayed or cancelled.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/84046...m/Product.html

chaos2046 04-11-07 01:01 PM

I wanna order "Breaking the Waves" but I only understand English... How can I order from Laserdisken?? Thanks tons in advance for any advice!!

Richard Malloy 04-11-07 02:38 PM

Start here, chaos: Help with ordering dvds from Denmark

Most threads discussing Danish discs (generally von Trier stuff) have some discussion about ordering, so search "riget", "Breaking the Waves" , etc.

chaos2046 04-12-07 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
Start here, chaos: Help with ordering dvds from Denmark

Most threads discussing Danish discs (generally von Trier stuff) have some discussion about ordering, so search "riget", "Breaking the Waves" , etc.

Oh YES, thanks tons!! :D