Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sammo Hung's Pedicab driver DVD?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-03-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been collecting Sammo movies for a few years and have never come across Pedicab Driver on DVD. Has anyone seen this for sale anywhere?
Thanks in Advance
Old 03-03-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

One of the big lacking on DVD titles. Absolutely no word on it coming out in the near future. No overseas releases anywhere either. Cross your fingers and hope someone finally gets a clue and puts it out, its easliy Sammo's most demanded movie.
Old 12-22-15, 12:30 PM

Re: Sammo Hung's Pedicab driver DVD?

Pedicab Driver is on DVD at last remastered in widescreen, with Cantonese audio and English subtitles, from Warner Archives.
Old 12-26-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How on Earth did the rights for this wind up with WB?!
Old 12-28-15, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Pedicab Driver is one of a bunch of late period Golden Harvest titles that WB acquired the rights to back in the 90's when U.S. studios were inclined to do such a thing. Of course none of them were ever released as WB just sat on the titles and elected to do nothing with them. A few months ago it was announced that HD masters were being prepared for a handful of titles in order to make them available on WB's streaming service. It's too bad Pedicab Driver isn't getting a BD release. I suppose one could be in the works, but the rate at which Warner Archive releases BD's it probably won't come until 2028 at the earliest.
Old 12-28-15, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm waiting for the release of "The Blade (1995)" which I believe WB has the right. Hopefully they release the movie soon.

Here is the link to Pedicab Driver:

http://www.wbshop.com/product/pedica...fType=&from=fn
Old 12-29-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 432 Posts

There are three more titles in the first wave of the Archive's Golden Harvest DVD: BIG BULLET, DOWNTOWN TORPEDOES and BLADE OF FURY, all of which are solid HK productions (yes, even DT). While I'd prefer all of them and PEDICAB on Blu-ray -- and preferably without the captions-not-subtitles issues present on all the new DVDs, at least these go a long way to replacing non-anamorphic Hong Kong editions. TERRACOTTA WARRIOR and THE BLADE were featured on Warner HD and were initially included in the first round of discs, but presumably will surface in the future.

Last edited by Brian T; 12-29-15 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-29-16, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anyone wants a proper video version of Pedicab Driver, email me at [email protected]. I have the new Chinese Blu-ray with regular, perfectly translated English subtitles - not chinglish.
Old 01-29-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

That's a bootleg, though, isn't it? While I realize there aren't any official, properly subtitled alternatives at the moment, DVD Talk's policy is no bootleg discussion.
Old 01-29-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a bootleg. They practically brag about it elsewhere (typically justifying it with the old "Warner brought this on themselves" chestnut), and while it corrects well-known issues with the less-than-stellar Warner Archive edition, it's also widely available in just about any North American Chinatown you'd care to visit, making one wonder just what someone in Hong Kong who doesn't know that expects to gain by advertising in this way.

Apparently the days of championing upscaled, audio-compromised and generally mediocre official Hong Kong Blu-ray releases of classic HK films by Fortune Star are behind him, so at least there's that, but still . . .
Old 01-31-16, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brushed away the cobwebs and opened this door yet again, have we?

DVDTalker Brian T, your obsessive dislike for DVDTalker toddly6666 was tiresome years ago, and at this late stage I actually find it a tad bit creepy. I found distasteful the nature of your approach to him, which - to my eyes - came across as overly personal in terms of attack, and even stalking in tone.

And now with the passage of time, it seems you haven't yet made peace with being able to play nice with him...did you really need to toss in that second paragraph in your previous post.

You do very commendable work with your contributions to the bargains sub-forum (and likely in other areas I'm not aware of, as well). This continued sticking point with regard to one particular member though really is a head-scratcher.

Too, if I had to guess, I doubt toddly6666 had any grand, self-serving, and nefarious evil-mastermind intentions with regard to his offer...seems like he was simply trying to help out fellow film enthusiasts. He hasn't been a regular participant here in some years, and he certainly knows the rules, but maybe he thought it a relatively harmless thing to do, again a not maliciously-intended attempt to help out past acquaintances who haven't migrated to the other forum.

Also, while I claim near-zero knowledge with regard to the full range of Chinatowns on the North American continent, from what I gather options to pick up videos there are in decline more than not. More importantly, I think it is safe to say that not everyone here has comfortable access to such a direct option.

Verboten as it no doubt is, toddly6666's post stands a chance to be the most useful bit of information posted in this near-dormant sub-forum during this entire calendar year.
Old 01-31-16, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime

DVDTalker Brian T, your obsessive dislike for DVDTalker toddly6666 was tiresome years ago, and at this late stage I actually find it a tad bit creepy. I found distasteful the nature of your approach to him, which - to my eyes - came across as overly personal in terms of attack, and even stalking in tone.

And now with the passage of time, it seems you haven't yet made peace with being able to play nice with him...did you really need to toss in that second paragraph in your previous post.

You do very commendable work with your contributions to the bargains sub-forum (and likely in other areas I'm not aware of, as well). This continued sticking point with regard to one particular member though really is a head-scratcher.

Too, if I had to guess, I doubt toddly6666 had any grand, self-serving, and nefarious evil-mastermind intentions with regard to his offer...seems like he was simply trying to help out fellow film enthusiasts. He hasn't been a regular participant here in some years, and he certainly knows the rules, but maybe he thought it a relatively harmless thing to do, again a not maliciously-intended attempt to help out past acquaintances who haven't migrated to the other forum.

Also, while I claim near-zero knowledge with regard to the full range of Chinatowns on the North American continent, from what I gather options to pick up videos there are in decline more than not. More importantly, I think it is safe to say that not everyone here has comfortable access to such a direct option.

Verboten as it no doubt is, toddly6666's post stands a chance to be the most useful bit of information posted in this near-dormant sub-forum during this entire calendar year.
Ha, thanks for the nice words Flixtime. I feel bad that I havent posted much in here since switching to blu-ray, so bad that I totally forgot that Brian used to be quite negative! I guess I should start posting more video news in here again!
Old 02-01-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't open it, heheh, but you two are still so amusing, trying to sell folks on Toddly's doe-eyed altruism and hauling out the same old buzzwords against anyone that -- gasp! -- even mildly disagrees and (apparently) hurts his feelings (!). Strange that DVDTalk lets the post stand in spite of its supposed "rule", though.

Also, while I claim near-zero knowledge with regard to the full range of Chinatowns on the North American continent, from what I gather options to pick up videos there are in decline more than not.
As true in HK as it is here, but the discs Toddly is so selflessly offering to share with everyone are not exclusive to the shops in which he bought them, nor are they exclusive to Hong Kong. Kinda goes without saying in today's world, really . . .

More importantly, I think it is safe to say that not everyone here has comfortable access to such a direct option.
Technically, they do, but if they want to get them from Hong Kong when the exact same products are available in North America, well, more power to them. Still, it's worth noting just what people are actually getting in both scenarios, in spite of Toddly's dodgy promotion of it as "the new Chinese blu-ray".

Last edited by Brian T; 02-01-16 at 11:38 AM.