Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Subtitle Comparisons - Far more important than any other "new disc" consideration...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Subtitle Comparisons - Far more important than any other "new disc" consideration...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Djangoman
But there's no way I could get a legal copy of Criterion's The Killer! I ain't gonna spend USD 100++ just to have better translation! I'd rather bring a Chinese speaker to translate it fer me!
I don't think that the point is that you Must Absolutely purchase the version with the best subtitles, and that purchasing a different version makes you a bad person.

The point is that subtitles are important, but are barely mentioned in reviews or comparisons of different DVD editions of films, if at all. Criterion's the Killer may be a bad example, since it's OOP and expensive to buy, but if given two versions near the same price, it'd be nice if one could know if one of them has better subtitles, to make a better purchase decision.
Old 12-08-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
Jay thanks for your comments/answers/etc. That's what I thought from the very beggining. The one thing is that there are (few in numbers) american dvds that containe subtitles in more than these three languages so just like you said, there are always exeptions.
There are, but they're rare. And like I said, the majority seem to be Sony releases that are mastered with worldwide distribution in mind, since these discs are released in identical versions in other countries (which is why people can play the "R3" Superbits on their R1 DVD players.

With the example of Hero that you gave while valid I think it misses the point that the mainstream movie goers would not have know about the film if it wasn't for miramax putting Quentin's name on it and putting trailers that did not show that it was subtitled.
Which is why it's more profitable to sell the international rights than just allow imports.
Hey if it was ethnocentric I would want spanish subtitles on everything (along with english since I speak it as well)since i'm more confortable in that language.
I don't think it's ethnocentric to want subtitles in your native language. What I thought was incorrect was your inference that a distributor intended their DVD to be imported simply because it has English subtitles on it. That's ignoring all the other English speakers in the world, and especially the English speakers in the country of release that the DVD was most likely intended for.

Also lets think about all the people that bought house of flying daggers and kung fu hustle at walmart, target, amazon.com etc? how many would have really know that the dvds where easily available as imports?
If a DVD was an easily available import, it'd be in those stores, much like how Suncoast often has the Tai Seng imports of Hong Kong DVDs. A local video store did have those films and Hero available for rent on import DVD while they were playing in theaters. Those DVDs were almost always checked out, even the R3 DVDs. It didn't have an import DVD of Ong Bak though, because of the lack of English subtitles.

You may scoff at the posibility of "stolen" audiences, but US studios and distributors do worry. Sony blamed the low box office of House of Flying Daggers and Kung Fu Hustle partly on the availability of imports with subtitles. Sony even went so far as to remove the English subtitles and dub from the R3 DVD from Crounching Tiger, Hidden Dragon due to concerns that importing would hurt the theatrical performace of that film.

For instance, if Hong Kong had to put them by law, maybe that would explain why they might (in the past) not have been as great as they could have been if they were only doing it cause they had to compared to a distributor hoping to sell the rights at film festivals etc.
There's also the factor that most Hong Kong subtitles are made on the fast and cheap, usually using someone who's not a native English speaker. So a combination of lack of ability, lack of resources, and lack of time can contribute to the quality of many subtitles.
Old 12-08-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
I don't think that the point is that you Must Absolutely purchase the version with the best subtitles, and that purchasing a different version makes you a bad person.

The point is that subtitles are important, but are barely mentioned in reviews or comparisons of different DVD editions of films, if at all. Criterion's the Killer may be a bad example, since it's OOP and expensive to buy, but if given two versions near the same price, it'd be nice if one could know if one of them has better subtitles, to make a better purchase decision.

Absolutely correct.

And I wouldn't advocate buying a $100 DVD over the HKL because of the subtitles either, unless you can afford it.

But I do think it's ridiculous to "trade up" from the Criterion to the HKL as so many seem to have done, simply because the HKL has a better picture - as if that's the only thing that matters. By trading out those versions, the better movie is being traded for the inferior movie simply because we're all DVD fanatics(rightfully so) and have this idea that picture quality is all that matters.

I'd say if you already have the Criterion, or can get it easily and affordably, then it is by far the better version than the HKL, regardless of having lesser picture quality - it's the better version because the translation makes the film so much better than the the translation on the HKL.

And this thread is here for people who care about subtitles - hopefully we can trade information on subtitle translations - especially on new DVDs that may be "replacing" an older version. Reviewers don't give the new subtitle translations a second glance, crowing on about picture quality and extras while ignoring a change that impacts the viewing experience more than any other new change on a disc.

Hopefully we can exchange information from each other and avoid spending money on movies that may have a better-looking picture, but movies we are dissapointment by when we finally get them home because the new translation is worse than the old disc we already have.
Old 12-09-05, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
There are, but they're rare. And like I said, the majority seem to be Sony releases that are mastered with worldwide distribution in mind, since these discs are released in identical versions in other countries (which is why people can play the "R3" Superbits on their R1 DVD players.
When movies has no interest anymore you sometimes find a cheap international release with lots of languages and subs.
For example:
Menus

Subs

I don't understand the relation between high quality (superbits) and region codes, could you be more please.

I don't think it's ethnocentric to want subtitles in your native language. What I thought was incorrect was your inference that a distributor intended their DVD to be imported simply because it has English subtitles on it. That's ignoring all the other English speakers in the world, and especially the English speakers in the country of release that the DVD was most likely intended for.
I don't agree with you on this, if people heard about a good movie they can't watch at their local theatre, because distributors decided to release it later, they try to get the DVD from another region. English is main language used to communicate but people prefer their native language first and then the main language in the region which is not automatically english. In Asia, I could understand (for historical, cultural reason) why the english subs for HK, but I wonder why I find english subs in the korean release of a japanese film when there are none in the japanese one. It's a problem of respecting the copyright laws to me, which is a big issue in Asia.

If a DVD was an easily available import, it'd be in those stores, much like how Suncoast often has the Tai Seng imports of Hong Kong DVDs. A local video store did have those films and Hero available for rent on import DVD while they were playing in theaters. Those DVDs were almost always checked out, even the R3 DVDs.
It's easy for editors and distributors to put the pressure on stores to stop them selling import DVDs if they're rightholders for the country or the region.

There's also the factor that most Hong Kong subtitles are made on the fast and cheap, usually using someone who's not a native English speaker. So a combination of lack of ability, lack of resources, and lack of time can contribute to the quality of many subtitles.
It's difficult in Asia to do some high quality work knowing that 75% of pirate DVDs come from this region, I guess editors try to lose the less as possible.
That's why the work of the local editor/distributor is important for quality of packaging, image, sound and subs.
Old 12-09-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Tutut
I don't understand the relation between high quality (superbits) and region codes, could you be more please.
He's not relating high quality to region codes. The point is that Sony (the studio that makes Superbits) does not author separate discs for Region 1 and Region 3. They only author one disc with a full set of subtitles for either American or Asian viewers, region code that disc for both 1 and 3, and sell the same disc in both markets. It's a method of cutting expenses, so that they don't have to waste money authoring separate discs with separate subtitle options in more than one Region.

That's why you can buy a "Region 3" Superbit and it will play in a Region 1 DVD player.
Old 12-10-05, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the precisions.
Old 12-11-05, 01:24 PM

Great thread. Truly. I'm always complaining to my friends about how comparison sites will have aneurisms over a "soft" patch on a small part of a single frame, or some such, but will COMPLETELY overlook horrid subtitles. Then again, the quality of writing on a lot (that serves as a nice example. A LOT IS TWO WORDS) of these sites isn't too hot. I just dislike how everyone seems more concerned with presentation minutia than actual filmic content (which comes through via subs). That's not to say that I don't appreciate a site telling me that a certain edition is pale and washed out and another is rich and vibrant, I just wish we had a site that put greater emphasis on content comparisons. I feel like I sift through every DVD site on the web when I'm trying to buy a certain version of a film and, if I'm lucky, I'll get a paragraph of text in total that vaguely addresses subtitles. As those Killer quotes indicate, knowledge of the original language isn't needed to tell when a line sounds poorly worded, extremely simplified, or just plain silly. Obviously it's a great aid, but anyone can tell with some of those lines. I'd rather have the Criterion edition, honestly. Ah, this discussion reminds me of a good example of inaccurate subs. It might be lost on people unfamiliar with the film, but oh well. A few weeks ago my Japanese cinema class watched Shohei Imamura’s Vengeance is Mine. The main character is confronting his Christian father and wife in regards to an attraction between the two. He says to his father, “God? You worship your daughter’s ass!” It is translated as something akin to, “Forget God, you’re into your daughter.” There’s another example later in the film in which the father is talking to the daughter about how the daughter should leave, and he’ll just move to an old folks home and sit in the sun drooling. Her reply, “I’ll lick the spittle off your face” becomes “I’ll come everyday and whip your chin” in the subs. Anyway, just a few examples that serve to significantly downplay what is being said. Of course, you check out the comparison on dvdbeaver.com and there is no mention of subs whatsoever. Obviously they can’t be expected to know the original language, but the spelling errors and awkward phrasings should jump right out.

So what do you guys say, want to ban together and start a sub-centric website?
Old 12-12-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm in!

Great idea.
Old 12-12-05, 07:02 PM

People are more concerned in countries which don't use dubbing, I think of scandinavian countries, Netherlands in Europe or Japan in Asia.
Some links about translation problems:

http://herbs.tsukaeru.jp/english_top.html
read the comments on this:
http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=newsmaker&id=266
What about regional differences:
http://www.blogthings.com/amenglishdialecttest/
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...393037,00.html
And the last one, my favourite (Shangai bootleg of "Revenge of the Sith"),
take a deep breath before reading :
http://winterson.com/2005/06/episode...e-of-west.html
Better than the famous engrish «All your base are belong to us».
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engrish
Old 12-18-05, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I received an email complaint about my House of Fury review that is pertinent to this discussion. I wish the writer had started a forum thread so that the issue could be discussed by others, but he sent an email instead. I don't want to post someone's personal email in public without their permission, so I'll just say that the gist of the complaint was that because I don't speak Cantonese I have no business commenting on the quality of the subtitle translation.

Here was my response:

Hello,

I hear what you're saying, but let me describe this from my perspective. I do not speak Cantonese, nor do I pretend to. When I comment on the subtitles, I am referring to whether or not they are written in coherent English that an English-speaking viewer will be able to follow and will make sense. Many DVDs of Asian films are not. This is not necessarily the same thing as being an exact translation of the original language.

I'm not going to argue whether the subtitles on House of Fury are accurate to the original dialogue, but I will say that there are a number of scenes in the movie that are clearly meant to be funny or the character is obviously supposed to be saying something witty that makes the other characters laugh. Most of these scenes simply do not make sense in English. This may be a cultural difference, or it may be that the original dialogue was a play on words that just doesn't work in another language.

Translating from one language to another involves more than just an exact transcription. Phrases that mean something in one language may not mean the same thing (or anything at all) in another. A good translator will know when to adjust the words so that they convey the same meaning or context but make better sense in the new language.

Take this example from another DVD I'd previously reviewed (A Better Tomorrow II). There is a line of dialogue that the subtitles translate as "Nobody dare not give me face". Now, I can't say what the exact Cantonese dialogue originally was, but I can say that the translation doesn't make any sense in English. "Give me face" isn't a phrase we use in English, and "Nobody dare not" is very poor English grammar that a real person wouldn't ever use. Judging by the context of the scene, I can get a general sense of what the character was trying to say, and I think "Don't disrespect me" would have been a much better translation, whether it is necessarily accurate to the original words or not.

To that end, the subtitles on House of Fury are pretty good for the most part, and make good sense in English. But during a few scenes that are meant to be funny the humor just doesn't translate properly, even if the words are accurate to the original dialogue.

Thanks for writing,

- Josh

Last edited by Josh Z; 12-18-05 at 06:24 PM.