Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Cyberhome PAL to NTSC quality?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Cyberhome 300 player as a region-free player and I've only tried one PAL disc on it, but the conversion makes the motion very jittery--the framerate is smooth for a fraction of a second and then it stutters, then it's smooth again, etc. I just wanted to know, specifically how is the Cyberhome 500 at converting PAL to NTSC? If it's much better I'll probably get that one instead. I'm not sure if a player that will convert it completely smoothly exists because of the difference in standard framerate, but I know the jitters on a Phillips dvp642 were at least much less distracting than on the CH 300.
Old 11-23-05, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bis22
I've got the Cyberhome 300 player as a region-free player and I've only tried one PAL disc on it, but the conversion makes the motion very jittery--the framerate is smooth for a fraction of a second and then it stutters, then it's smooth again, etc. I just wanted to know, specifically how is the Cyberhome 500 at converting PAL to NTSC? If it's much better I'll probably get that one instead. I'm not sure if a player that will convert it completely smoothly exists because of the difference in standard framerate, but I know the jitters on a Phillips dvp642 were at least much less distracting than on the CH 300.
I have one of those 500's in the bedroom...it is slightly worse than the Phillips I have (). To be honest with you for the money you pay for the 500...it performs great. For top notch performance however I would consider something else....

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 11-27-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been very happy with my CH-500. No jitters, ever. Obviously, there are better routes to take, but given that my setup is pretty basic I personally can't justify a much fancier player at the moment.

I tried one of the Philips 642s recently and didn't like it at all. Smooth playback, but serious aliasing issues on every PAL disc I tried. Don't know what the problem was, as I'd seen no mention of this in any reviews of the unit, but needless to say, I ditched it soon after.
Old 07-13-06, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked up a 300 and really don't like the stutter. Has anyone tried the philips DVP3040? That's pretty much my only other option, or the TruTech, but Im guessing that is just like the CH-300.
Old 07-14-06, 04:51 PM

The Hyundai 360A is on sale at geeks.com,

I've got the CH 500. It's ok, but with heavy use the picture quality really goes downhill.

My Toshiba sd4900 is still going strong though!

Last edited by bnx1; 07-14-06 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-14-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
granted, I've only watched ong bak the austrailian version, but on my oppo, the pal disc plays great with no problems whatso ever.
Old 07-15-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bnx1
My Toshiba sd4900 is still going strong though!
Same here!

I've been looking to get a new PAL>NTSC converting player for awhile, nearly purchasing the Oppo 971 last year, but the Tosh 4900 has proved itself as more than the brief stopgap I'd intended it to be (nearly three years ago?). I can't say it delivers a perfect picture - the horizontal line artifact associated with player generated subtitles crops up every now and then - but it's certainly quite watchable. And I got it B-stock for $65.
Old 07-16-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've noticed the same problem with PAL-NTSC coversion on many, but not all, of the PAL discs that I play in my Cyberhome 300. Is there any noticable difference in picture quality between the 300 and the 500?
Old 07-16-06, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by dmkb
I've noticed the same problem with PAL-NTSC coversion on many, but not all, of the PAL discs that I play in my Cyberhome 300. Is there any noticable difference in picture quality between the 300 and the 500?
I'd pick the 500 over the 300 for PAL and general use.
Old 07-19-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got my Philips 642 and it is much better than the cyberhome.
Old 07-21-06, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by bnx1
I've got the CH 500. It's ok, but with heavy use the picture quality really goes downhill.
You mean after a couple of months the unit's image quality becomes worse or if you let it run for a couple of movies in a row, you start getting image probs?
Just curious ...
Old 09-04-06, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by thalion
You mean after a couple of months the unit's image quality becomes worse or if you let it run for a couple of movies in a row, you start getting image probs?
Just curious ...
I'd say right on both counts! It starts to have problems after a couple of hours(overheats). Eventually, the thing just wears out.

I've also got a Cyberhome 707B (the Walmart portable player). It's a big improvement quality wise. It's never froze or skipped or had any noticeable problems. Of course it was more expensive, still cheap though (below $200)