DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Region 1 to ... ? Double Dips .. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/441675-region-1-double-dips.html)

visitor Q 10-15-05 09:45 PM

Region 1 to ... ? Double Dips ..

So, how many have we? ... or are some here smarter than others and go for the correct version (from regions other than R1) first and foremost. I caught the wind later than most, but am getting better.

Basically, I'm interested in those statesiders that upon discovering that there are other titles available overseas, made the upgrade jump and what were they, or what will they be?

Here's my list of region doubles before I smartened up .. and of course, why:

Kill Bill I & II [R1 to R2 LE Boxes] Unrated Kill Bill I and collectability. Keeping all for now
Boondock Saints [R1 to R2 unrated Scandinavian Scanbox] Audio upgrade - by far/Dir cut and uncut version. Will sell R1
Natural City [booted copy (didn't know at time of purchase :( .. as it was from a legitimate local B&M store) to R3 LE Tin] Studio support after buying boot and hoping for improved DTS soundtrack. Keeping both.
Ninja Scroll [Original R1 to R3 Collector's] Remastered video and DTS soundtrack. Keeping both.
Band of Brothers [R1 to R3 LE Military set] Not sure why other than the fact that this is probably one of the best LE sets that exist.
Ghost in the Shell [R1 to R2 LE Box] Collectability. Keeping both
Innocence (aka Ghost in the Shell II) [R1 to R2 First Pressing Tin] DTS Audio upgrade and collectability. Keeping both.
Chronicles of Riddick, The [R1 to R2 Dir cut] DTS Audio upgrade - Might sell R1.
i, Robot [R1 to R2 LE w/ Sonny head] Collectability and ... well, what the Hell, Sonny's head!!! Might sell R1.

Pixar overpriced R2 Japanese sets :rock2:

The Incredibles [R1 to R3 LE Jack box 3000 and R2 LE Box 5000]. Collectability.
Finding Nemo [R1 to R2 LE Box 5000] Collectability and Japanese DTS track.
Monsters Inc [R1 to R2 LE Box 10000] Collectability and Japanese DTS track.

Future upgrades:

Jurassic Park R2 Superbit - Full DTS bitrate and collectability of this rare find.
Equilibrium R3 - DTS upgrade

Brooklyn 10-16-05 02:26 AM

I'd imagine the upcoming Howl's Moving Castle 4 disc region 2 Japanese edition
will be a given for this list.

Also, the 2 disc (with or without the hardcover book) Korean release
of Musa from CJ Entertainment. This version contains the 155 minute cut
as opposed to the 130 minute all region cut that was released in several
markets.

Whoops, misread the post (it's late), thought you were referring to
discs that would be worth upgrading to.

Josh Z 10-16-05 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Innocence (aka Ghost in the Shell II) [R1 to R2 First Pressing Tin] DTS Audio upgrade and collectability. Keeping both.

How are the English subtitles on the R2? Does it have the captions with sound effects spelled out like the first pressings of the R1 edition, or the corrected subtitles like the exchange copies you had to mail away for?

visitor Q 10-16-05 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
How are the English subtitles on the R2? Does it have the captions with sound effects spelled out like the first pressings of the R1 edition, or the corrected subtitles like the exchange copies you had to mail away for?

I have the R1 corrected copy and the R2 subs are for a lack of better words, identical. No captioning at all. Timing is very good and they are within frame throughout. The subs are easily viewable being white in color with a black border. They are a bit smaller than the R1 release, but it isn't a problem.

I know you didnt ask, but if I were to opt for one over the other regardless of cost, I'd choose R2 due to the 6.1 track (which has better dynamic range) and albeit slight, a better all around mix. The PQ is also better on the R2 copy. Though a bit grainy, it exhibits finer detailed image and more natural coloring .. if that could be said for an anime title. The R1 is warmer with more of a red/orange tint.

For the difference in cost however, I could easily be happy with the R1 copy. It's a beautiful film that is well represented on both releases. I just wish the R2 DTS track was subbed. I ran it through it's course anyway and was blown away. If only I had a subwoofer. Though, the 6.1 track is impressive .. so I'll live.

Josh Z 10-17-05 07:01 AM

I just wish the R2 DTS track was subbed.

Thanks for the info, Q, but what do you mean by this statement?

Fincher Fan 10-17-05 08:45 AM

You're presuming we're all R1 to start with?

digitalfreaknyc 10-17-05 08:45 AM

Jurassic Park R2 Superbit - Full DTS bitrate and collectability of this rare find.

Sorry but you're mis-informed.

it's not full bitrate.

visitor Q 10-20-05 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Thanks for the info, Q, but what do you mean by this statement?

The DTS track is not English subbed, which is very unfortunate.

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Sorry but you're mis-informed.

it's not full bitrate.

Yes, you are correct, sir. Though, hopefully I have been correctly informed that it has a very similar sound quality to comparable full bitrate titles.