Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pioneer DV-260 DVD player and non-Region 1 DVDs

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-05, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased this DVD player late last year from Wal-Mart, so it may be a Wal-Mart specific model number.
It's a great Progressive scan DVD player. It plays DVDR, MP3, WMA, has Digital Audio output, and even converts PAL to NTSC.
The one major drawback is that as far as I know it can't be set to Region 0.

Today I discovered a "trick" to play other Region DVDs. This may be well known but I've never heard about it anywhere. Also, this isn't full proof and I will explain.

Within the DVD players Settings, I can select a Country Code. Do not confuse this with Region Code because it is not the same thing.
Within this setting I must select from a long list of countries which country of origin the DVD I am about to play is from.

For example, I have Hana-Bi, which is Region 3 and from Japan. As well as Sonatine, which is also a Japanese Region 3 DVD. I select from the list Jp which is for Japan. This apparently checks the disc when it loads to see if it is from Japan and if it is it unlocks the Region 3 setting just for Jp discs. This works perfectly for the two previously mentioned films.
HOWEVER, I also have Zatoichi which is another Region 3 Japanese DVD and this method will not work. It spits the DVD back out and says that it isn't a compatible country when it tries to load it.

Why would this be? I've also tried it with House of Flying Daggers Region 3 and it spits it out whenever I have it set to China or Hong Kong. If any of you have any ideas on how I can get this full proof I would be greatly appreciative. If you need more information I'd be glad to give it to you.
Thanks!
Old 09-26-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Couldn't say for sure, but since Japan is actually Region 2 that may have something to do with it......

BTW: Hong Kong is Region 3..
Old 09-26-05, 10:09 PM

Thanks, that may actually have something to do with it.
Apparently I got ahold of some Region 3 Japanese films. I've tried setting it to Hong Kong, but I will try again.

Thanks for your help. If only it was easy to find a place to chip the player.
Old 09-26-05, 10:20 PM

I just tried with it set to Hong Kong and also China and neither worked.

Zatoichi doesn't work set to anything and it's a Region 3 DVD and on the box it says Panorama Entertainment / Golden Scene.

House of Flying Daggers doesn't work set to anything and it's a Region 3 DVD and on the box it says Edko Films LTD.

Sonatine does work when set to Japan and it's a Region 3 disc.
Same with Hana-bi.

I think it really has to do with the film more than where the DVD came from. Perhaps if they didn't put a Country code on the film then this trick won't work.