Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the German "Kriminal" DVD subtitled?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-16-05, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been wanting to obtain the 1993 Claude Berri film "Kriminal" on DVD for some time. Amazon.Ge lists an upcoming German DVD coming out on October 15, 2005. It doesn't mention any English subtitles for this Pal region release.
I believe the french have a DVD available but this also doesn't have subtitles in English. Anyone have more info on the German release?
Old 09-16-05, 10:40 AM

Germinal

I just can't see it. I think Warner are doing the release and they tend not to offer alternate language subtitles. If anything German distributors remove languages/subtitles all the time.

Pathé UK are doing a 4 DVD Claude Berri boxset in November. Since Pathé France do Renn's films (including Germinal) in France you may have some luck.

I'm told the boxset will include the OOP Lucie Aubrac definitely and a likely rerelease of Manon des Sources and Jean de Florette.

What's the 4th disc?
Old 09-16-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by TheDoug
I've been wanting to obtain the 1993 Claude Berri film "Kriminal" on DVD for some time. Amazon.Ge lists an upcoming German DVD coming out on October 15, 2005. It doesn't mention any English subtitles for this Pal region release.
I believe the french have a DVD available but this also doesn't have subtitles in English. Anyone have more info on the German release?
Very, very unlikely that the DVD will offer subs. Germany is easily one of the most coservative countries when it comes to subs. Yet, you never know...my vote is-NO!!

pro-b
Old 09-16-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It doesn't look good for subtitles on the German release. This page states that the DVD will have no subtitles at all and only German audio. http://www.froeschl.de/shop?00000000...0000024368a99c

Regards,
Dirk
Old 09-19-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm... afaik ALL major American movies shown in Germany are dubbed into German (as I've said before, MOST Germans would have to be forced at gunpoint to watch a non-German, non-dubbe-into-German, German-subtitled movie!)... SOME 'major' movies from other countries will/may also be dubbed into German... it would be VERY odd indeed if a GERMAN DVD of a FRENCH movie would carry English subs (why should it? the disc is meant for the German/Austrian/German Swiss markets, after al)...

. . . . . .
Old 12-19-05, 06:48 PM
Cool New Member

I think u mean Germinal (thats the only movie from Claude Berri 1993)

Amazon

it has German and French Dolby Digital 5.1 and only German Subtitles

and yep all foreign movies are dubbed into german ,and the most DVDs have english,german and other subtitles /languages on dvd
Old 12-19-05, 09:45 PM

Thanks everyone for your detailed replies. Thanks also for correcting my title error, it being "Germinal" as others have noted. I recently obtained a Polish copy on DVD (IDG label) which like the German editions only have Polish titles and polish dubbed tracks. I'll check the Pathe UK box set, hoping they'll be more than just french subtitles.
Old 12-20-05, 01:19 PM

It looks like the UK boxset have no extras.

http://www.fox.co.uk/dvd/claude-berr...t-10946/10946/