Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lucile Hadzihalilovic's "Innocence" - is this on DVD?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 02:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought I had remembered reading that Sony Pictures Classics was going to release this stateside - theatrically and on home video. No word - has this already been released on DVD elsewhere, (the UK theatrical release is scheduled until December 2005)- any with English subtitles?

Innocence
Old 09-16-05, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wild Side are doing the French release next month. No sign of subs.

Artificial Eye look to be doing the UK DVD.

I quite like the look of the film (and the director's cinematic connections) so I'll be picking this up.
Old 09-19-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... Innocence... ahh...

. . . . . .
Old 09-19-05, 10:00 PM

well thats a beautiful dvd cover, for sure.
Old 09-21-05, 06:29 AM

Saw this last year and liked it a lot. Slow and demanding, but if you have the patience you should get on well with it (the fantastic credits sequence is not to be missed... talk about setting a disturbing tone.)

As has already been mentioned, the French (retail) DVD is out soon, although it has been out to rent in France for a couple of months.

And the UK cinema release has been moved around a couple of times, but now will actually happen at the end of this month, not December, so an English-friendly DVD release might be along a couple of months sooner than you first thought...

Dazza.
Old 11-14-05, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dazza
Saw this last year and liked it a lot. Slow and demanding, but if you have the patience you should get on well with it (the fantastic credits sequence is not to be missed... talk about setting a disturbing tone.)

As has already been mentioned, the French (retail) DVD is out soon, although it has been out to rent in France for a couple of months.

And the UK cinema release has been moved around a couple of times, but now will actually happen at the end of this month, not December, so an English-friendly DVD release might be along a couple of months sooner than you first thought...

Dazza.
in regards to the credits (I saw this over the weekend BTW at AFI's European Union Film Festival) were they purposefully supposed to be jittery. My friend thought that was insanely annoying.

Not only is it slow (not a flaw in my book) but the film is deathly quiet, (obviousily when the young girls aren't dancing). The cinematography is simply beautiful.

Secondly
Spoiler:
are we supposed to believe that the girls are dead, when they arrive at the school, reborn and then sent out back into the world (the 'vaginal' tunnel), it's all ethereal (sp) and rather ominous.
Old 11-14-05, 04:44 PM

Innocence fench DVD release is out since October, it's on my list.

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/tg/...354618-0688414

Lucile H. is Gaspar Noé's wife and collaborated on some of her husband works, her first movie was «La bouche de Jean-Pierre» but I didn't watch it.
Old 11-15-05, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
in regards to the credits (I saw this over the weekend BTW at AFI's European Union Film Festival) were they purposefully supposed to be jittery. My friend thought that was insanely annoying.
Yep, sure were - I can confirm this having seen it at a cinema and on DVD. Though more flickery than jittery, wouldn't you say?
I really liked the deep rumbling noise that accompanied them - thought it provided a terrible sense of foreboding.

Very disappointed there isn't a commentary on the DVD, although I suppose she wouldn't want to provide too many answers about this one [@ Giles: I hadn't really thought about the film like that, but I like your idea]. Still, some anecdotes about the filming etc would have been worth hearing.

Dazza.
Old 11-15-05, 03:13 PM

DVDenfrancais.com recently posted that an NTSC Canadian release by Seville is scheduled for January 17th, 2006. Anamorphic, 5.1 French audio with English subtitles and behind the scenes photos commented by Zoe Auclair (French only).
Old 11-20-05, 11:06 AM

Good news, that ... Seville does a good job with their releases ...
Old 11-20-05, 04:27 PM

I guarantee the Seville release will be a PAL port. Seville does that with most of their releases.

Last edited by bjackson; 12-14-05 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-20-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bjackson
I guaratee the Seville release will be a PAL port. Seville does that with most of their releases.
I guarantee that Bjackson's guarantee will be a correct guarantee.

Pro-B
Old 11-26-05, 02:00 AM

Artificial Eye have listed a release of this for 23 January in the UK.
Old 12-12-05, 12:52 AM

"Innocence" will be released in Canada by Seville/Warner on January 17th... although I am expecting a PAL-to-NTSC transfer given Seville's history. Though their transfer of the Italian film "Don't Move" was pretty good.
Old 12-12-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Canadian Turtles Can Fly has an excellent image quality and an added 5.1 track which the US version lacks. With other words, I am going to request this Canadian release and review it for DVDTALK.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 12-14-05, 07:24 PM

I've got the Seville releases of Don't Move, 5x2 and The White Skin and I'm quite happy with all of them.
Old 12-14-05, 07:49 PM

Well I've put the Seville version on pre-order and am gonna hope for the best I'll make sure to let everyone know the verdict when I receive it.
Old 01-17-06, 10:35 AM

Anyone else picking this up today?

I was going to rent this at lunch, but Rogers Video (like a Blockbuster in Canada) has managed to strategically place them all at least 25 miles from me. It's pretty impressive actually. I'm right in the middle of all of the copies...lol I can't get home at night without passing 3-4 locations, but nothing within 25 miles.
Old 01-17-06, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
The Canadian Turtles Can Fly has an excellent image quality and an added 5.1 track which the US version lacks. With other words, I am going to request this Canadian release and review it for DVDTALK.

Ciao,
Pro-B
please post back to let us know when your review is up - thanks.
Old 01-18-06, 07:34 PM

DVD Times just reviewed the R2 UK DVD. Take a look if you're intersted.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60012

Last edited by wildeny; 01-18-06 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-21-06, 10:59 AM

I ended up renting this, and I will now be buying this movie once I can find a review/comparison for the different versions. I love how it was shot, and I thought the movie was very impressive.

On a side note I noticed at some point after the movie ended, there was a black screen and in the bottom right the words “A Gaspar” came up and left. When I look at company and distribution details on IMDB, I don’t see Gaspar Noe associated at all. He’s not part of the cast or crew either. If that’s the case, why put “A Gaspar” at the end?
Old 01-21-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

...there is a special relationship between him and the director of Innocence....

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 01-21-06, 04:14 PM

I realize it's his wife, but I found it curious she'd put that up for that reason alone.
Old 01-23-06, 07:38 AM

Well, just dedicating it to her partner/husband -- to say "To Gaspar" is simply her dedicating the film to him... it's not that unusual for people to dedicate their work to someone special in their lives i.e. Stephen King dedicating one of his books to his wife.
Old 01-24-06, 06:34 PM

I was too embarassed to buy this in the shop today... I'll have to order it by post. I just have a fear, that every retailer has read the reviews about it having children in peticoats

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.