Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's a good (US) region-free player that isn't the cheapest?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-05, 09:03 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I want a player I can just buy at best Buy or something and very easily hack it. I don't want the bottom-line model, but one that is moderate $100-$150, has good features and plays all other region DVD's with ease.

Are there any Sony players that can be easily hacked?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and models.
Old 08-14-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a TV that has a DVI or HDMI input, I'd suggest bumping up to $200 and get an Oppo. Has to be mail ordered though.

If you absolutely have to be able to buy it in store, you're choices get limited to pretty much sub-$100 Chinese built players.
Old 08-14-05, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only ones you can hack yourself are the cheap crappy players. Here is an excellent all region player that does pal->ntsc conversion properly and is only $130.

JVC 420B
Old 08-14-05, 10:17 AM

ok, thanks. let me explain why i want a new one. i have a philips 727. it works fine except the display is horrible and the remote cannot be easily programmed into my mx-500 bc it has these things that make it hard to learn. so when i point the remote i have to make sure i am directly seeing the ir. i also have to learn two buttons for one function like on and off which is very annoying.

so i want something with a good display and not a tricky remote, but has all the functions of my sony dvp-ns315 (which cannot be hacked).

thanks again.
Old 08-14-05, 11:40 AM

I used to have a 727 also. Very feature poor. You'll be happy with the JVC. I've had three of them and like them all very much. I can't compare it to your Sony, never owned a Sony player.

Having said that, let me throw a wrench into the whole thing. If you have an Interlaced tv the 727 will give you better PQ. If it's a Progressive (HD) set then the JVC will look better. But the build quality and the features on the JVC far exceed those of the Philips.
Old 08-14-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What are the features that the JVC has over the 727? I will be getting an Oppo in the next few weeks but was just wondering for comparison sake. My 727 has always looked pretty good on my HD set but looking forward to the upconverting of the Oppo.
Old 08-14-05, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got me a Toshiba 3900 for $70... it should suit your purposes nicely.

The remote is excellent and it is easily hackable.
Old 09-11-05, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
I got me a Toshiba 3900 for $70... it should suit your purposes nicely.

The remote is excellent and it is easily hackable.
gerbil, where can i readily get this one?
does the hack need to be applied everytime or one time does it?
do you know if it will easily be programmed to my mx-500 remote or any universal remote for that matter?
Old 09-11-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For info on cracking many DVD players go here:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
Old 09-14-05, 11:33 AM

As far as Sony goes, you cannot easily hack any model that they put out. The only way to make a Sony region-free is to have it modified internally and to buy one that has already been modified from a website.

I also recommend the Oppo. It has to be the best player available under $200. You shouldn't be afraid to spend a little more to get a good quality DVD player.
Old 09-15-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
I want a player I can just buy at best Buy or something and very easily hack it. I don't want the bottom-line model, but one that is moderate $100-$150, has good features and plays all other region DVD's with ease.

Are there any Sony players that can be easily hacked?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and models.
why hack..just go here..cheap JVC models with hardware mods..no hacking needed..

www.220-electronics.com
Old 09-15-05, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
why hack..just go here..cheap JVC models with hardware mods..no hacking needed..

www.220-electronics.com
I wouldn't push that recommendation around too much, i'm dealing with them right now. Let's just say so far i've been sent the wrong dvd player and have had to pay shipping to send it back to them. From what i've heard they're notorious for this. They also don't respond to emails and calling them gets you an Indian guy. I hope I end up getting the model I ordered, if one comes back at all.
Old 09-15-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD King
I wouldn't push that recommendation around too much, i'm dealing with them right now. Let's just say so far i've been sent the wrong dvd player and have had to pay shipping to send it back to them. From what i've heard they're notorious for this. They also don't respond to emails and calling them gets you an Indian guy. I hope I end up getting the model I ordered, if one comes back at all.
I ordered a Malata N996 about five years ago from them and only heard about the bad service after I did. Anyways, the player finally arrived and is still going strong to this day. I guess I was just lucky. As for the original poster's question; you should go for the Oppo. I've got one and it is the best player I've ever owned.
Old 09-15-05, 12:18 PM
Banned

The oppo is also having a problem with being out of sync on Pal titles at times..i believe. i'm waiting for that fix to jump on the bandwagon.
Old 09-22-05, 09:35 PM

I've got my eye on the Oppo OPDV971H, and I have a question for anyone here who owns one. Does this player read the "flag" on the DVD and signal the HD monitor as to the aspect ratio setting? My high-end Samsung doesn't and I hate having to find the TV remote and manually adjust the screen setting. Yes, I'm lazy, but it's a feature that I enjoy. My digital cable box does this. My cheap Daewoo does this. Why shouldn't a $200 player do it?
Old 09-23-05, 12:18 AM

This player will detect the aspect ratio on dvds that are properly authored. You do have to set the TV display in the Oppo's menu to Wide/SQZ for this feature to work.

So far it has correctly displayed all 16x9 (Stretch) and full screen (pillar-box) DVDs.

It is a great player, plays all regions with a simple remote hack and has good PAL to NTSC conversion. All available in beautiful upcoversion to 720p or 1080i

After the last firmware upgrade it finally bested my Zenith DVB-318 which had mediocre PAL to NTSC anyway.

Brian C. A.K.A. "CHIP"
Old 09-23-05, 05:47 AM

Thanks!
Old 09-23-05, 07:32 AM

I've had a $1200 Denon and a $1000 Rotel player and I love my Oppo a lot more. It's great and has great conversion. The picture quality is oustanding and plays everything I've shoved in it. The picture quality on The Transporter UE from France just blew my mind. (The sync may be a little off, but they mostly fixed it with their last firmware update. The problem isn't really a problem anymore and shouldn't stop you from getting the player.)

If you want a region-free player, that's the one to get.

Last edited by pat00139; 09-23-05 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-23-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by bwcgrx
This player will detect the aspect ratio on dvds that are properly authored. You do have to set the TV display in the Oppo's menu to Wide/SQZ for this feature to work.

So far it has correctly displayed all 16x9 (Stretch) and full screen (pillar-box) DVDs.
Note, however, that the Oppo cannot read the flag for non-anamorphic letterbox discs, and will display them as 4:3 centered in the middle of the screen with black bars on all 4 sides. You will have to zoom manually with the remote.

The Wide/SQZ mode also degrades picture quality on pillarboxed or zoomed material. If your TV allows aspect ratio control, it would be better to use the TV for that function.
Old 09-27-05, 09:29 PM

I am using a few players for multi-region. Denon DVD-2900, Panasonic DVD-S97, and Zenith 318 (component 1080i). I use the Panny for PAL titles (my Optoma H78DC3 accepts PAL) & video based, & the Denon for NTSC film titles. The Zenith is a distant third. There really is no all around answer. The Oppo is a good safe bet, depending on your display.