Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pedro Almodovar R2 UK Box Set

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for comments on the Pedro Almodovar R2 UK Box Set (http://www.play247.com/play247.asp?p...57&g=72&pa=sr), most particularly the discs' video transfer quality. Are all the video transfers anamorphic?

Last edited by cine; 08-09-05 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-09-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

All of these have very good 16:9 transfers (individual reviews could be found). I would suggest that you wait a bit and see if this set might drop in price as there is another boxset coming out later this year which will linclude the now OOP titles Matador, Kika, etc...(of course we shall hope for new transfers). I am affraid however that the second set might very well offer the old Tartan transfers, or at least "new-and-improved" prints as shallow as Law of Desire.

Regards,
Pro-B
Old 08-21-05, 01:20 PM

Matador may be coming to Region 1 soon, as it has just been rated NC-17 a few weeks ago by the MPAA.
Old 08-21-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by murphy_wmm
Matador may be coming to Region 1 soon, as it has just been rated NC-17 a few weeks ago by the MPAA.

You gotta be kidding me....NC-17! O, I forgot...they gave Bad Education NC-17 as well (we are not mature enough) so it figures!!!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 08-24-05, 01:01 PM

Region one Almodovar

You may want to check out this link:

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?lay...117922827&cs=1
Old 08-24-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the link! Though I do not see Kika here Sony Classics do a relatively good job with foreign releases....so this should be a good news esp. given the fact that the current Law of Desire DVD carries a rather poor transfer in the UK.

"Sony Pictures Classics has acquired North American rights to Pedro Almodovar's upcoming pic "Volver," and also has quietly scooped up rights to three more of the Spanish auteur's films to prepprep a 2006 eight-picture retrospective under the banner "Viva Pedro" that will be distribbed nationally in the U.S.

Retrospective of eight new prints -- comprising the pics "Law of Desire," "Matador," "Women on the Verge," "Flower of My Secret," "Live Flesh," "All About My Mother," "Talk to Her""Talk To Her" and "Bad Education" -- will be a promotional run up to the roll out of "Volver," which SPC co-toppers Michael BarkerMichael Barker and Tom Bernard see as a comedy ripe for summer release in the States.

"Next year will be the year of Almodovar," Barker said in Cannes. "This film is very commercial and we believe it can be a bonafide summer hit." Added Bernard, "(Almodovar) is going back to comedy (with this film) in a very commercial way."

"Volver," budgeted at E9 million, stars Penelope CruzPenelope Cruz and Carmen Maura. Producers describe the piece as a meeting of "Mildred Pierce," "Arsenic and Old Lace" and Almodovar's own fourth film, "What Have I Done to Deserve This?" Story concerns three generations of women surviving in Madrid and its lively working-class neighborhoods.

"Volver" lenses in Madrid and La Mancha from July 4 to Sept. 16. Pic is a production of El Deseo, with Agustin Almodovar serving as exec producer and Ester Garcia producing. "Volver" has also been sold to Pathe for France, U.K., Benelux and Switzerland.

SPC's release of "All About My Mother""All About My Mother" won the writer-helmer Almodovar a best foreign Oscar statuette, and the company's "Talk to Her" took in the original screenplay Academy Award.

SPC has also released "Bad Education" and six Almodovar films overall, including the new "Volver." Pics in the "Viva Pedro" showing will additionally be released ultimately as a box-set DVD collection. "Matador" and "Law of Desire" have never been available via DVD.

"We wanted to come up with something new and different," Barker said of the retrospective and the "Volver" strategy. "There's never been a subtitled film that's been a real hit in the summer." Added Bernard: "We keep trying to expand Pedro's fan base and bring him into the mainstream."

"As Pedro's producer and the person who has been working the longest with him, having (SPC) distribute 'Volver' is a testament to their work on promoting and expanding Pedro's films," said Agustin Almodovar. "For Pedro this is more than distributing a film, this is a successful relationship with a very supportive and talented group of people."

The move to pick up the foreign "Volver" adds to an already bold English-lingo '05 SPC slate that includes Merchant Ivory's upcoming "The White Countess," Wim Wenders' Cannes entry "Don't Come Knocking," Neil JordanNeil Jordan's "Breakfast on Pluto" and the Keanu ReevesKeanu Reeves-starrer "Thumbsucker."

Like "Volver," SPC came into "Countess" and the Wenders pics at script stage.

Next year when the "Viva Pedro" project drops, SPC will also be celebrating its 15-year anniversary. Barker and Bernard will have been partners for 25 years, having started together at Orion Classics.

Por-B
Old 10-15-05, 01:01 AM

"Law of Desire" has also just been rated NC-17 by the MPAA.
Old 11-10-05, 12:49 AM

How about "The Pedro Almodóvar Collection: Volume 1"? This will be released on 11/14 with list price of £39.99 (the lowest price is £29.99).

It consists of Almodóvar's early films:
Pepi, Luci, Bom (1980)
Dark Habits (1983)
What have I done to deserve this? (1984)
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)

There have either yet to be released in US or been out-of-print.

And the Volume 2 will be released in UK next June, which include: Law Of Desire, Matador, Flower Of My Secret and Kika.
Old 11-10-05, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by wildeny
How about "The Pedro Almodóvar Collection: Volume 1"?
How about it....as soon as we find out the transfers are top notch...we're buying!!

Ciao,
Pro-B

If they are anything close to the current UK Laws of Desire....I will be skipping.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-10-05 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-16-05, 04:13 AM

DVDBeaver has posted the review of "The Pedro Almodóvar Collection: Volume 1".

I wish the price can be more attractive. Now the lowest price is £29.99.
Old 11-16-05, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Retrospective of eight new prints -- comprising the pics "Law of Desire," "Matador," "Women on the Verge", "Flower of My Secret," "Live Flesh," "All About My Mother," "Talk to Her" and "Bad Education" -- will be a promotional run up to the roll out of "Volver," which SPC co-toppers Michael BarkerMichael Barker and Tom Bernard see as a comedy ripe for summer release in the States.
Por-B
This SPC's eight-picture retrospective covers the R2 Almodovar 5DVD boxset , one ("Women on the Verge") in just-released Collection Vol. I, and three in Vol.II. I was thinking to grab these two R2 UK boxsets, since I don't have any his DVDs yet (only watched his Oscar-awarded movies). But now, I don't know whether I should wait till 2006 summer (what a long time to wait) .

As for UK's "Law of Desire", it will be included in Vol II released next summer by different comapny Optimum, not Bluelight who did the initial DVD release. Hopefully the transfer can be improved.

Just saw "Women on the Verge" DVD listed in Ebay today: Starting bid US $62.99 or Buy it now $100.00.

Last edited by wildeny; 11-16-05 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by cine
I'm looking for comments on the Pedro Almodovar R2 UK Box Set (http://www.play247.com/play247.asp?p...57&g=72&pa=sr), most particularly the discs' video transfer quality. Are all the video transfers anamorphic?
The Video quality varies. Here's my take on it (watched on a small 26" crt tv):

Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!
DVD9. Anamorphic 1.85:1. Good picture. The print used has some dust and speckles, but it's not too bad: I didn't notice it on first viewing. I didn't notice any compression artifacts either. Removable subs.

Live Flesh
DVD5. Non-anamorphic 2.35:1. The picture could be better, of course, but it's not too bad. Removable subs.

All About My Mother
DVD5. Non-anamorphic 2.35:1. The worst picture of the 5 discs. The vertical resolution is not good, of course. The picture looks too red, but it may be intended to look like this. Anyway, I have no other release to compare with. Removable subs.

Talk To her
DVD5. Anamorphic 2.35:1. Great picture in spite of low videobitrate (must be 4,5 Mbs - I haven't checked though). I didn't notice any annoying artifacts. (Maybe I was distracted because it was such a great movie?) Removable subs.

Bad Education
DVD9. Anamorphic 2.35:1. Good picture again. Beware: Non-removable subs.

This is not the ultimate release, of course, but I don't regret buying this. It was quite cheap (a little over £20 at amazon.co.uk), and all the movies are great. I can easily live with these editions, which looked fine on my little tv. People with large Home Cinema systems may prefer to wait for better (anamorphic) releases of some of the films.
I consider adding the R1 release of Bad Education to my collection though, because of its Commetary track, which should be extremely good.
Old 12-05-05, 06:50 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the deal with High Heels? Has that ever been released to DVD?
Old 12-05-05, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ron G
What's the deal with High Heels? Has that ever been released to DVD?
It's available with english subs on German R2 dvd from Universal. I just purchased a copy from www.jpc.de.... according to our resident foreign film dvd expert Pro-Bass, it's got a good 16x9 widescreen transfer as well.
Old 01-24-06, 10:26 PM

Well, finally SONY officially announce the realease of Pedro Almodovar Classics Collection (4 discs) on Apr 4, 2006, including ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER, BAD EDUCATION, TALK TO HER and FLOWER OF MY SECRET.

There is another thread talking about this http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453476
Not the eight-picture retrospective I hope. Or, are they going to release another collection of 4 movies?
Old 01-25-06, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by wildeny
Well, finally SONY officially announce the realease of Pedro Almodovar Classics Collection (4 discs) on Apr 4, 2006, including ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER, BAD EDUCATION, TALK TO HER and FLOWER OF MY SECRET.

There is another thread talking about this http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453476
Not the eight-picture retrospective I hope. Or, are they going to release another collection of 4 movies?
I really hope they are releasing the other four, considering the ones you've mentioned above have been on DVD for awhile now!

The only Almodovar films I don't own on DVD now though are KIKA, LABYRINTH OF PASSION and PEPI LUCI BOM.
Old 01-30-06, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by murphy_wmm
I really hope they are releasing the other four, considering the ones you've mentioned above have been on DVD for awhile now!

The only Almodovar films I don't own on DVD now though are KIKA, LABYRINTH OF PASSION and PEPI LUCI BOM.

Can you suggest the best DVD editions for all his available films on DVD (any region)? And where you bought them?

I'm trying to start up my Almodovar collection and am kicking myself for selling off my TIE ME UP TIE ME DOWN (r1) and WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDWON (r1) editions a while back. Now they're OOP and I'm desperately trying to build my collection again for all his films.

I did buy the r1 versions for ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER, LIVE FLESH and TALK TO HER.

thanks for any suggestions