Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

battle royale: teenage crush movie??

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, finally got around to watching this after it sat on my dvd shelf for over a year...

was looking forward to all-out carnage, i needed to get some aggression out of my system from a hard week at work (nothing better than action movies for that purpose, i think).

anyway, my impression: it didn't totally suck, but it was close. nice concept/premise, but the execution (no pun intended) was lacking. the acting of the teenage kids was horrible, except for the one good "transfer" student. and what about all that crappy dialogue about teenage crushes? i mean come on, it wasn't just one or two or three mentions about this in the movie...it was the WHOLE damn thing; the kids were fixated on their puppy love, rather than trying to save their own asses. i can recall one particular scene where the dialogue went something like this (paraphrased):

(dying) girl: i think you're cool
boy: i think you're the coolest girl in school.

geez, give me a friggin' break.
Old 06-26-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
[obligatory movie snobbery] you should check out some films by Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich instead.[/obligatory movie snobbery]

Yeah - BR isn't for everyone. I thought it was fantastic... if I was in high school when this came out, it would've been my favorite movie ever. You'll for sure want to avoid the second one.
Old 06-26-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a flawed movie, but its still pretty damn good. This is a film I wouldn't mind having remade. Fix a few small problems and you could have a classic on your hands.
Old 06-26-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slateef
well, finally got around to watching this after it sat on my dvd shelf for over a year...

anyway, my impression: it didn't totally suck, but it was close.
Well, if it sat on your shelf for over a year, it hardly seems that this was something you were hot to see in the first place.
Old 06-26-05, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Its a flawed movie, but its still pretty damn good. This is a film I wouldn't mind having remade. Fix a few small problems and you could have a classic on your hands.
Remade where though? I would be shocked if this movie was picked up by the US film industry since it protrays students killing students.
Old 06-26-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmpre99
Remade where though? I would be shocked if this movie was picked up by the US film industry since it protrays students killing students.
Well it wouldn't get remade here unless it was totally indie and the cost for the rights alone would make this impossible. It would be neat to imagine an American remake though. Haley Joel Osmond blowing away Joseph Mazzello and Dakota Fanning with an automatic rifle. Im there.
Old 06-26-05, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Haley Joel Osmond blowing away Joseph Mazzello and Dakota Fanning with an automatic rifle. Im there.
Old 06-27-05, 02:12 AM

it didn't totally suck, but it was close. nice concept/premise, but the execution (no pun intended) was lacking.
My thoughts exactly. I love a good horror/thriller, and I got the impression that this movie was excellent in every aspect. I ended up being really disappointed in the acting, which I think cheapened the movie. These kids were supposed to be terrified, and instead, some of them looked too much like they were acting.
Old 06-27-05, 03:13 AM

not to hijack, but the book fleshes out the story much more. i still love the movie because it is fun and silly, but if it is meat you're looking for, read the book.
Old 06-27-05, 02:35 PM

Wasn't this remade or going be remade early 2004 for a Greek tv mini series? I recall posting some articles on it but never found out if it came to fruition
Old 06-30-05, 12:23 AM

There's an Argentinian miniseries remake - http://www.battleroyalefilm.net/sangrefria/index.html
Old 06-30-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What do you expect a Japanese movie to be? They really do talk like that in Japan
Old 06-30-05, 03:13 PM

was looking forward to all-out carnage, i needed to get some aggression out of my system from a hard week at work (nothing better than action movies for that purpose, i think).

anyway, my impression: it didn't totally suck, but it was close. nice concept/premise, but the execution (no pun intended) was lacking. the acting of the teenage kids was horrible, except for the one good "transfer" student. and what about all that crappy dialogue about teenage crushes? i mean come on, it wasn't just one or two or three mentions about this in the movie...it was the WHOLE damn thing; the kids were fixated on their puppy love, rather than trying to save their own asses. i can recall one particular scene where the dialogue went something like this (paraphrased):

(dying) girl: i think you're cool
boy: i think you're the coolest girl in school.

geez, give me a friggin' break.

Maybe you watched it at the wrong time! I thought it was fantastic. Didn't notice anything 'Bad' about the acting. The whole film for me was a breath of fresh air................the sequel sucked though!!