Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

CITY OF MEN Season 3 DVD w/ English Subtitles?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-11-05, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DVDBrazil.com is now selling Season 3 of the "City of Men" TV series (which is a "sequel" of sorts to CITY OF GOD), but the DVD doesn't have English subtitles. Has anyone heard when there might be a release that does have English subtitles? Thanks!

Jason
Old 06-12-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
When I was in the UK I bought the 2 disc set and it had English subs. I'm sure they will eventually release the rest of the series w/subs. For those interested it is listed at

http://www.amazon.co.uk.
Old 06-12-05, 11:29 AM

I actually already have the 2-disc set of the first two years. I'm just impatient, I suppose. I love the series and wanted to view season 3 as soon as possible.
Old 06-13-05, 08:48 AM

I'm translating it myself. I imported Season 3 a little over a month and and began translating it. I had to translate Palace II myself also. I assume you own Palace II? It's the 50 minute short film featuring Little Z that's based on another chapter of City of God. Fairly hard to obtain as it was only released in one country. If you want I can give you the translated and timed sub's when I'm done, but I can't offer you a re-authored disc as that would put me into the piracy category. lol. Maybe by that time the Season 3 disc will already be out with English Sub's. It's odd some of these things like the 40 deleted scenes, the City of God Anime etc... aren't being released with English sub's.
Old 06-13-05, 08:53 AM

No, I don't have Palace II yet. I haven't been able to find it anywhere. I didn't know that there was a City of God anime, either!! When did it come out? Do you have a link to any other information about it? Thanks!
Old 06-13-05, 11:51 AM

Palace II was or is on the Holland version of City of God. It is also on a 2 disc Chinese edition that came out a year ago. I know the Holland can be found online but I don't have time to check right now. Look for " "City of god", dvd, .NL " in google. The City of God Anime is on the Brazilian 2 disc with the deleted scenes, as well as the Chinese 2 disc. I'm pretty sure (but could be wrong) the Anime is on the Holland disc also.
Old 06-13-05, 12:53 PM
Cool New Member

What City of God anime? The flash thing? It was done by a website in Brazil as a joke...

I'm not sure how BBC works, but they have the rights for the first 2 seasons and I think they would want to wait until the third season finishes airing to release a DVD... Then again, I'm not sure who owns the DVD rights in the UK and how they negotiated it.
Old 06-13-05, 02:25 PM

The anime is an animated 'Oscar Stealing' Short Film. It is featured on a few of the DVD regional releases. It may have been on the website or done in Flash (not sure), but who cares? Look at Broken Saints!

...as for the BBC, the 2 disc version that is for sale on Amazon.co.uk was released before the BBC even aired a single episiode. In fact, I already had the set in my home the day before it was aired on the BBC for the first time (28th of Sept, 2004). The BBC didn't even release the first two seasons on DVD in the UK.
Old 06-13-05, 03:18 PM
Cool New Member

No, my question was if there is another animaiton other than the flash one... wasn't trying to put it down, but I thought it wasn't interesting since I had seen it before. I guess if it's new to you it may be interesting.

the BBC thing, I was guessing that the TV deal and the DVD deal were separated, but since they may also get the 3rd season,BBC could ask not to have it licensed before they air it... Of course it would be great if it is released before, but I try to keep expectations low so I don't get frustrated...
Old 06-20-05, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by splattii
I assume you own Palace II? It's the 50 minute short film featuring Little Z that's based on another chapter of City of God.
Can you confirm that Palace II is indeed 50 minutes? DVD Compare lists it as 20 minutes on the Holland dvd; http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=4330

Think I'll have to pick this up as I loved City of God. How are the subs coming?
Old 09-04-05, 12:10 PM

I thought I'd bring this old thread up to see if anyone had any new information about an English-subtitled version of "City of Men" season 3. Thanks!

Jason
Old 12-22-07, 11:10 AM

Hi! As a big fan of city of god and the series city of men i bought myself all the dvdsīs of city of god and city of men. So now i have god season 1-3 of city of men on dvd with german an portuguese audio and german subs. And i also bought season 1-4 with portuguese audio and english hardsubs (directly integrated in the picture). So if you are interested in one of these i can send it to you. But now i have one question. You mentioned that you allready have subtitled yourself the short film "palace ii". I just bought myself the dutch dvd of "city of god" where the short film "palace ii" is inclueded in portuguese. But now my problem is that there arenīt any subtitles on this dvd for this shortfilm and i donīt understand portuguse. And i realy realy would like to watch and understand this movie. So i wanted to ask you if you can send me the subtitles or the short film with included subtiles?!? That would be realy relay nice!
Thanks.. Sebastian from Germany

P.S.
City of Men -the movie is out in Brasil at the moment and comes to usa cinemas ein 18.01.2008. But the dvd can allready be bougth in brasil from 09/01/2008:
http://www.allcenter.com.br/allcente...6&afilID=20009
Old 12-22-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sebastian193cm
P.S.
City of Men -the movie is out in Brasil at the moment and comes to usa cinemas ein 18.01.2008. But the dvd can allready be bougth in brasil from 09/01/2008:
http://www.allcenter.com.br/allcente...6&afilID=20009

I've been waiting for this but I can't tell from the link if it has English subs.
Old 12-22-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrhan
I've been waiting for this but I can't tell from the link if it has English subs.
I don't know Portuguese whatsoever, but if the listed tech specs are accurate, I'd say it is a safe bet that it does have English subtitles...my line of thinking being that the noted "legendas: ingles" translates to "subtitles: english".

As for sebastian193cm's query, I can't be of any help...but welcome to the forum!
Old 12-22-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

according to the link it does. and at about $60 I doubt is for sale but rather for rent since nobody else has it for sale yet.

edit: is the rental version.
Old 12-22-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime
I don't know Portuguese whatsoever, but if the listed tech specs are accurate, I'd say it is a safe bet that it does have English subtitles...my line of thinking being that the noted "legendas: ingles" translates to "subtitles: english".

As for sebastian193cm's query, I can't be of any help...but welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the translation but I guess I will still be waiting for awhile since BuddhaWake brought up the fact that it isn't up for consumer sale yet.
Old 01-27-08, 10:09 AM

I was at a friends last night and he had City of Men (the movie). The Menu offered Spanish, English and Portuguese sub options, as well as 2.0 and 5.1 Portuguese audio options. The bonus features on the disc were nothing more then trailers for other films. I don't know what country it came from, but I'll guess Spain (due to the sub options)? I didn't take time too look at the box, but the intro had Globo Films logo's which if my memory serves me correct is a Brazilian dist. Anyhow, just an FYI. There is a disc out there somewhere that has English sub options. Sorry I can't offer more information.
Old 01-27-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah the brazilian disc is out but not for retail sale and to buy the rental is a lot of cash
Old 03-26-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

April 16th release date in Brasil. can be had at the usual etailers and is up for presale. Lists english subs.
Old 03-27-08, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
April 16th release date in Brasil. can be had at the usual etailers and is up for presale. Lists english subs.
Thanks for the info. I recently saw the movie; it's a good closing to the series. Looking forward to seeing it on DVD.