Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Saraband (Bergman's last-film-to-be)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-05, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ingmar Bergman's last-film-to-be is getting a SE (2dvd set) in France courtesy of MK2. I am a little upset here as it seems like English subs have not been negotiated, as it is the case with the Swedish dvd as well. Which leaves the ball in the hands of Artificial Eye (hopefully) as I wish they could license one more time the transfer and extras from MK2.
Needless to say Liv Ulman and Erland Josephson return one last time to collaborate with Bergman.

Swedish disc...
http://www.discshop.se/LIVE/shop/ds_...&id=40717&ref=

Regards,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 06-10-05 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-10-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh man, I've been dying to see this ("Scenes from a Marriage" is one of my favorite Bergman chamber dramas), and it doesn't even seem to have gotten a North American release (did I miss it? Nothing in Boston, right?).

The thread title really had my hopes up!
Old 06-10-05, 08:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The last thing I had heard about a North American theatrical release was that Sony Classics is releasing this in July.
Old 06-10-05, 08:53 AM

Sony Pictures Classics will be releasing SARABAND in the United States on July 8.
Old 06-10-05, 08:57 AM

from Sony Classics website -

Director: Ingmar Bergman
Cast: Liv Ullmann, Erland Josephson, Börje Ahlstedt, Julia Dufvenius
Language: Swedish
Running Time: 108 minutes
Release Date: 7/8/2005

2004 New York Film Festival 2005 Miami International Film Festival 2005 San Francisco International Film Festival

In Saraband, Marianne and Johan meet again after thirty years without contact, when Marianne suddenly feels a need to see her ex-husband again. She decides to visit Johan at his old summer house in the western province of Dalarna. And so, one beautiful autumn day, there she is, beside his reclining chair, waking him with a light kiss.
Also living at the summer house are Johan's son Henrik and Henrik's daughter Karin. Henrik is giving his daughter cello lessons and already sees her future as staked out. Relations between father and son are very strained, but both are protective of Karin. They are all still mourning Anna, Henrik's much-loved wife, who died two years ago, yet who, in many ways, remains present among them. Marianne soon realizes that things are not all as they should be, and she finds herself unwillingly drawn into a complicated and upsetting power struggle.

Saraband can be seen as a concerto grosso, a concert for full orchestra - only, here, with four soloists," says Ingmar Bergman. "The drama consists of ten dialogues that follow a particular pattern, and it's an attempt at analysis of a difficult situation."

A saraband was an erotic dance for two that was very popular at royal courts in the 17th and 18th centuries. But it was prohibited in Spain as being indecent.

Old 09-15-05, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist

Ingmar Bergman's last-film-to-be is getting a SE (2dvd set) in France courtesy of MK2. I am a little upset here as it seems like English subs have not been negotiated, as it is the case with the Swedish dvd as well. Which leaves the ball in the hands of Artificial Eye (hopefully) as I wish they could license one more time the transfer and extras from MK2.
Needless to say Liv Ulman and Erland Josephson return one last time to collaborate with Bergman.

Swedish disc...
http://www.discshop.se/LIVE/shop/ds_...&id=40717&ref=

Regards,
Pro-B
so the link you provide and IMDB denote that the film's running time is 120 minutes yet there is also a 107min version making the US theatrical run..

hmmmm, what's the story here?
Old 09-15-05, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't quite have an answer for you...as I don't see why they would cut/edit anything in this feature. If they do...that would be amazing. Let's wait and see how this issue develops but you ask a very good question that I am not sure how to address.

If the R1 distribs screw up the domestic release I will look for the UK version (in fact I am most certain I will as it is more likely to be a MK2 port).

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 09-15-05, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I don't quite have an answer for you...as I don't see why they would cut/edit anything in this feature. If they do...that would be amazing. Let's wait and see how this issue develops but you ask a very good question that I am not sure how to address.

If the R1 distribs screw up the domestic release I will look for the UK version (in fact I am most certain I will as it is more likely to be a MK2 port).

Ciao,
Pro-B
but even after doing a little research on the French MK2 edition, that running time is also 107 minutes.

I certainly would like to know how 120minutes came about - IMDB has been known in the past to post wrong information. It's just odd that a DVD has been released with said running time, but everywhere else indicates that it's only 107 - ?
Old 09-19-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
I certainly would like to know how 120minutes came about - IMDB has been known in the past to post wrong information. It's just odd that a DVD has been released with said running time, but everywhere else indicates that it's only 107 - ?
...from The Deseret Morning News review: "..."Saraband" is a sequel to Bergman's 1973 film, "Scenes From a Marriage," (both were originally shown on television and were trimmed for theatrical exhibition — furthering the soap opera connection to a degree)..."

...so, there...!...

. . . . . .
Old 09-22-05, 05:43 AM

Interesting review here (of film, not DVD; may contain spoilers): http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/review/2575

Dazza.