Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

L'empire des Loups (Jean Reno's latest)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

L'empire des Loups (Jean Reno's latest)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love Reno so this is tempting, but I would like a dvdtalk review first!
Old 10-23-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found this: http://www.dvdrama.net/fiche.php?5667

Can't understand a damn word of it. Free web based translators suck.
Old 10-23-05, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Found this: http://www.dvdrama.net/fiche.php?5667

Can't understand a damn word of it. Free web based translators suck.

Seriously, we need a translator dammit!
Old 10-24-05, 02:38 AM

vtw, incase not mentioned here yet, this makes R1 USA on December 24th 2005.
Old 10-24-05, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks ProB on the Region 1 heads up, as much as i was sure the movie might be a mixed bag at least all it will cost me now is a rental.
Old 10-24-05, 08:45 AM

I had some freetime, so here's my "very poor english" translation (no whinning allowed) for page 1 & 2. :-)

Image critics 9/10
As usual Gaumont gives us a strong edition of its last superproduction with an image processing reaching perfection.
The encoding provides with brilliance an image rich of details, for close-ups as well as for parisian exteriors with that astounding depth of field (even if most of them are digitaly retouched), like the dark undergrounds of the Père Lachaise cimetery in the explosive sequence of the stair. The THX label is not stolen.

Sound critics 9/10
Let's stay at the famous stair destruction sequence, to discover how the terrific DTS (unfortunately) half bitrate track scatter the fragments of the old house all around us like it is real. The Dolby Digital track has nothing to be ashamed of, although there are few decibels under and the bass are not so deep, because those who have no DTS equipment will fully enjoy the show just pushing the volume a bit. A minus point, due to the original mixing not to the encoding, is some dialogs are not so audible during the rainy sequences.

DVD1

Audio comments:
==============
«I've never heard audio comments but I'm sure some directors have interesting things to say». An aberration among others in one of the most soporific examples of this exercise. Someone should have explain Chris Nahon that, if he didn't want to to do it, he was not forced to, looking at the deplorable result. Even with the help of his main actress and his director of photography, it seems everybody's getting bored, breathing every two minutes when they're not saying some «What can we say about that ?». Of course don't expect any feedbacks about the errors in the movie, the terrible opinion of the critics and the public and the many points unfaithful to the book. For those who want to know that Arly Jover suffered of a gastro-enteritis and the commentators candybar stock is getting low. Really distressing...

After the painful exercise on disc 1, interactivity takes off surprisingly through an oustanding way of discovering the film.

DVD2

Jean Christophe Grangé, The anguish Workshop:
============================================
Interviewed by François-Régis Jeanne who did the excellent documentary "Qui veut la peau d’Olivier Marchal" on the "36, Quai des Orfèvres" DVD, the successful author J. C. Grangé receives us at his place to talk about his carreer.
He's telling us about his debuts as an author and international reporter on many thorny cases around the world which inspired him. That explains the accurate description of the cultural practices in many countries visited by the heros. Then he'll make his personnal analysis of the rules in the polar (roman noir) with no bombastic terms, cause only pleasure matters.

Preparation
===========
Preparation drawings(1min06):
Although a little short, the image galery is oriented on the aesthetics, very polished here, of the characters and especially on Jean Renos in the different looks that has been figured for him.

Story-boards:
Two animated sequences, The Columbarium destruction (1min44) and a fall of the heroin in a stair (45sec) plus four comparisons movie/storyboard with the subway scene, the hammam scene and those whith the chase of Arly Jover on the windows and in the parking.

Shooting
========
Shooting notes(19min55):
For those who want to see Jean Reno's doing a «Jumping like in a circus like that» as he says, a little bridge (???) with a high kick at 1.5 meters from the floor, this little shooting diary is made for you. In addition with this delightful too short sequence when the actor lose patience with a stuntman saying is not Jet Li, we discover the raw shooting of the gunfights and other moments when everybody have lot of fun.
Old 10-30-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I ordered this from amazon.fr and it said something about a coupon I get if I order it. Do I get the coupon via email once my order ships?
Old 10-30-05, 07:38 PM

Im still wanting this but am too cheap.
Old 10-31-05, 04:03 AM

So I ordered this from amazon.fr and it said something about a coupon I get if I order it. Do I get the coupon via email once my order ships?
Conditions of use here:
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/tg/...207594-8136113

You'll receive it on November the 16th, it's time limited (30 days). You can only use it on Amazon.fr, for a minimum amount of 20 Euros on your next order. It works only if you order through the «panier» (basket) and not for books or Marketplace products.
Old 10-31-05, 09:03 AM

Picked up the 3-disc of this the other day, so will try to watch it at some point this week. Very nice packaging!!

Dazza.
Old 11-02-05, 05:07 AM
Cool New Member

Just got the 3 disc set from Amazon.fr. The packaging is nice though a little flimsy. I listened to the soundtrack on the way home from work last night I thought it sounded pretty good.

I just need to watch the film now.
Old 11-02-05, 12:12 PM

Got round to watching this today - have to say I enjoyed it. I missed it at the cinema, but found it made a pretty entertaining couple of hours on DVD. It's pretty dumb stuff in places, but good fun all the same. Unsurprisingly, given its source novel-author and star it really reminded me of "The Crimson Rivers", and plays pretty much like a mix of that film and its sequel. As mentioned above, the soundtrack (which comes on a dual disc in the 3 disc set) is worth a listen too.
On the whole, well worth it if you got on well with either of the "Crimson Rivers" films. And I'm no expert on the technical side of things, but in general thought the DVD looked and sounded superb.

Dazza.

Last edited by Dazza; 11-03-05 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-02-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just watched my copy today and I agree with Dazza. Its really not bad at all. Some on the dialouge is kinda goofy (although that could just be bad subtitling) and the movie is a bit uneven but its good fun. Haven't checked out the features or the soundtrack yet but as a Reno fan, I'm happy with my purchase.
Old 11-02-05, 07:55 PM

Just watched my copy today and I agree with Dazza. Its really not bad at all. Some on the dialouge is kinda goofy (although that could just be bad subtitling) and the movie is a bit uneven but its good fun. Haven't checked out the features or the soundtrack yet but as a Reno fan, I'm happy with my purchase.
As I Reno fan you just make me want to buy this more. I think I will finally bite.
Old 11-02-05, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Depending on how big of a Reno fan you are, you might want to wait for the R1. The 3 discer is beautiful however.